Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Post all the viscosity specs
You don't need them. Answer the question. Or do you really not understand how the SAE J300 classification works? We get it, you don't want to answer the question because you know it contradicts what you claimed.

A 5W-30 oil has to fall within the range of 9.3-12.5 cSt @ 100C with a minimum HTHS of 2.9 cP/mPa-s @ 150C using the SAE J300 classification. Doesn't matter if it's dexos1 or dexos2, all 5W-30 oils have to meet those specs/minimums. The 2.8 specs 5W-30 and is the factory fill. The dexos2 spec is based on the ACEA C3 spec which does go a step further and states that HTHS @ 150C has to be >= 3.5, but that is inconsequential in reality because you're not going to see 150C/302F oil temps with this engine, even if you run it at WOT until the oil temp stabilizes.

You claimed the 5w30 dexos1 oil was too thin for the 2.8 but refuse to point out which oil is the dexos2 oil among the 2 oils I listed, probably because you know I chose a dexos1 oil with a higher viscosity @ 100C and a higher pour point than the given dexos2 oil. The oil temp with the 2.8 is going to spend 99% of its time at or below 100C, the only time it will go higher (and even then not much higher) is when towing, so the statement that the 5w30 dexos1 oil is too thin for the 2.8 is pure nonsense on your part.

So, kindly take your condescending attitude and your misinformation elsewhere. Maybe pick up a book as well.

Reactions: Ripstik

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Lots of disappearing posts that people only know about by reading what was quoted. :rolleyes:
Indeed, it's almost as if they don't want their nonsense being quoted or replied to. That's why we must quote their posts, so they live on and others can see what we've had to deal with. :D

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Semantics
No, they're called facts and you were incorrect. I don't expect you to admit you were wrong, though, so carry on with your posting of nonsense and then editing them to "." later since that's what you like to do. I think "." is as close as we're going to get to "I was wrong." Maybe you're just a troll, who knows.

Reactions: rotaryenginepete

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
If you posted all the viscosity specs I would’ve been able to identify the d2 5w30...but you aborted that game once it went that way
If he posted enough specs you could probably identify the specific brand. Not sure what the point of that would be.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
If you posted all the viscosity specs I would’ve been able to identify the d2 5w30...but you aborted that game once it went that way
HTHS is irrelevant here as that is a minimum viscosity at a temperature you will NEVER see. You stated misinformation and were proven wrong and now you're trying to claim that because you didn't have all the specs you couldn't tell which one was the dexos2 oil. Fact is, you said the 5w30 dexos1 was too thin and at normal operating temperatures I showed you a 5w30 dexos1 oil that had a higher viscosity than a 5w30 dexos2 oil, showing what you posted was nonsense. A 5w30 dexos1 oil with a higher viscosity at 100C (normal operating temp) is somehow too thin for the 2.8 which has a dexos2 oil available with a lower viscosity at the same normal operating temperature. See? Nonsense.

Take care!

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
So what was the answer tho? The d2 5w30 was more viscous if you include the hths, wasn’t it?
It's clear you have no idea what HTHS measures or why it's irrelevant with regard to what you claimed.

A 5w30 dexos1 oil had a higher viscosity at 100C than a 5w30 dexos2 oil yet you claimed dexos1 oils are too thin. Now you're talking about HTHS as if it comes into play at normal operating temperatures, which it doesn't. An oil with a higher HTHS doesn't mean it has a higher viscosity at normal operating temperatures. You know that, right?

What HTHS measures is the oil's ability to stay in-grade and not shear down. It has nothing to do with the viscosity at normal operating temperature.

Reactions: Coloradocolada

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
What happens to the viscosity when it shears down?
Stick to the topic at hand, which is your bogus claim of 5w30 dexos1 being too thin compared to a 5w30 dexos2. I'm not going to play your game where you attempt to redeem yourself by changing the subject to an irrelevant measurement. Give it up. Or don't. But I'm done playing your games.

Reactions: Coloradocolada

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
40 total posts and 12 of them are in this thread and look like this. i know i came asking a simple question, my joke about ditching the truck before it explodes didn't land, and i hardly got to read any of your posts before you deleted them, but you clearly don't know what you're talking about. anyone who says one 5w/30 vs another has initial viscosity issues doesn't know what they are talking about. i was hoping to hear from people that have experience with "regular" oil handling the sooting that takes place in a diesel. didn't mean to start all this nonsense. if i can figure out how to close the thread i will.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Just so you know, most threads here are not like this. The deleting comment is almost entirely new, and in the past mainly limited to accidental duplicates. And most the posters are knowledgeable.

But looking back, in addition to the nonsense posts there was a bit of joking around, but that was after you'd received some decent answers.

·
Registered
7,282 Posts
40 total posts and 12 of them are in this thread and look like this. i know i came asking a simple question, my joke about ditching the truck before it explodes didn't land, and i hardly got to read any of your posts before you deleted them, but you clearly don't know what you're talking about. anyone who says one 5w/30 vs another has initial viscosity issues doesn't know what they are talking about. i was hoping to hear from people that have experience with "regular" oil handling the sooting that takes place in a diesel. didn't mean to start all this nonsense. if i can figure out how to close the thread i will.
If it says "NASCAR" on the bottle you are good to go. :LOL: Did you change it out?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
If it says "NASCAR" on the bottle you are good to go. :LOL: Did you change it out?
haven't changed it out yet, but i also haven't driven the truck further than to its parking spot from my garage. been waiting on Walmart to get get something useable in stock, might just order what i need tonight on amazon. hoping this will chock up to a nice little flush.... anybody know what how much less oil I'll need leaving the filter in place?

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
This just arrived today from Amazon for my upcoming winter-in-Illinois oil change.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
This just arrived today from Amazon for my upcoming winter-in-Illinois oil change.

Good choice for the cold climate's. I am sticking to the 5w40 year round, it only gets down to -20c here, and never for more than a few days.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Good choice for the cold climate's. I am sticking to the 5w40 year round, it only gets down to -20c here, and never for more than a few days.
same here, the only thing i could find that would get here by thursday (probably be friday up in VT) was some pennzoil EuroL from walmart. 7qts @ $37.37 after tax (1 extra quart @ $6.64 to avoid paying $6 for shipping) so not too bad, I may stick with pennzoil just to really differentiate between my truck oil and what i use for mine and the Gf's Subaru tho I am partial to castrol for no reason other than i've put a couple 100k miles on it in various vehicles.

·
Registered
273 Posts
A lot of people get stuck in the past, Pennzoil used to sell oil with high paraffin content which could lead to sludge. Wasn't limited to just Pennzoil but they got the reputation for it and ever since then there are people that won't touch Pennzoil with a 10-foot pole even though it's a fine oil these days.

Last truck was a Toyota drove that thing for 29 years 325K on the clock when I got rid of it. From day 1 Pennzoil straight HD 30 and that truck ran as good as the day I bought it when sold.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Last truck was a Toyota drove that thing for 29 years 325K on the clock when I got rid of it. From day 1 Pennzoil straight HD 30 and that truck ran as good as the day I bought it when sold.
Yup, I'm sure it did. The whole thing about Pennzoil and sludge was from well before 29 years ago and had nothing to do with Pennzoil specifically, it was just anecdotal because Pennzoil has been so widely used for decades and people are known to not properly maintain their vehicles. So, combine "someone is likely to be using Pennzoil" with "someone is likely to be neglecting their vehicle" and you get "Pennzoil causes sludge." In reality, it was improper maintenance combined with motor oil that was generally not great by today's standards. That's just one in a long line of oil myths, such as...
  • Synthetic oil causes leaks
  • Once you use synthetic oil you can't go back to conventional
  • You can't mix brands of oil
  • You can't mix conventional and synthetic oil
  • Only brand XXX is a TRUE synthetic
And so on. :D

41 - 60 of 91 Posts