21 - 40 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
1606740364994.png

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Edit: It doesn't appear there is a Rotella Dexos 2, but from the list it appears Penzoil is a Shell product??? I've never heard that before.

Pennzoil is a Shell brand, has been since 1999.

Something folks haven't mentioned is how dexos2 oil is formulated to deal with soot from the diesel, something dexos1 doesn't have additives for and can form sludge because it can't properly deal with the soot. So even though the viscosity is correct the additives/formulation are not meant to handle diesel byproducts. Change it out and be on your way.

Walmart carries it or you can order dexos2 oil from Amazon.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
The viscosity isn’t correct tho
What are you talking about? The 2.8 Duramax calls for 5w30 and comes with that from the factory, the problem is the OP used dexos1 instead of dexos2 oil.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
A 5w30 is a 5w30 duh
Indeed, and yet you claimed 5w30 wasn't the correct viscosity for the 2.8 diesel and was too thin. You going to edit these posts to just "." like your others because you posted nonsense?

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Pennzoil is a Shell brand, has been since 1999.
The last time I bought Pennzoil was probably before then.

The reason I brought it up though is a lot of people swear by the Rotella brand, but there isn't a Dexos 2 5W/30 Rotella product. Pennzoil has such a product. Given it's the same company, why wouldn't someone use that if they like Rotella? It would be like not using the Mobil full synthetic gear oil because they didn't give it a Mobil-1 label.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
The last time I bought Pennzoil was probably before then.

The reason I brought it up though is a lot of people swear by the Rotella brand, but there isn't a Dexos 2 5W/30 Rotella product. Pennzoil has such a product. Given it's the same company, why wouldn't someone use that if they like Rotella? It would be like not using the Mobil full synthetic gear oil because they didn't give it a Mobil-1 label.
A lot of people get stuck in the past, Pennzoil used to sell oil with high paraffin content which could lead to sludge. Wasn't limited to just Pennzoil but they got the reputation for it and ever since then there are people that won't touch Pennzoil with a 10-foot pole even though it's a fine oil these days.

Reactions: SFLTruck

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
I will. You think d2 5w30 and d1g2 5w30 is the same viscosity and I’m posting nonsense. Thought you were better than that.
If you don't understand why what you just posted is nonsense then you have no place discussing oil. 5w30 doesn't magically change to mean something entirely different just because one is dexos1 and the other is dexos2. The SAE viscosity ratings have nothing to do with manufacturer specs and everything to do with the actual viscosity of the oil. Doesn't matter if it's API SN, CK-4, or even ACEA C3. A 5w30 is a 5w30.

Reactions: dmaxjr

·
Registered
4,467 Posts

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
21 - 40 of 91 Posts