Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first time changing the oil on this truck or any diesel and was given a wix filter, all they had, and 6 Qts 5W-30 Castrol at the parts store, my preferred brand. finish up the change and putting the cap back on i see the dexos2 on the cap next to the dexos....1 on my oil. how screwed am I? drain and replace at $25 and half an hour wasted screwed? drain and replace along with the filter at $50 and a half hour wasted screwed? or sell the truck before it explodes screwed.
thanks in advance.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Dexos2 has a different and somewhat lower anti-wear add pack. This is done to reduce build up in the particulate filter for the most part. It takes a good amount of time (and oil consumption) for that to occur.
I would drain, refill with Dexos2 and run until the service indicator says it's time to change again. I personally wouldn't do the filter or worry about that amount of oil but YMMV.
Anyway - no real damage done.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dexos2 has a different and somewhat lower anti-wear add pack. This is done to reduce build up in the particulate filter for the most part. It takes a good amount of time (and oil consumption) for that to occur.
I would drain, refill with Dexos2 and run until the service indicator says it's time to change again. I personally wouldn't do the filter or worry about that amount of oil but YMMV.
Anyway - no real damage done.
thanks for the response, my plan is to run oil changes every 5k, it's my second car so it'll probably end up being once a year. I'll send the oil for analyses from blackstone labs like i do my car, they can tell me if i need changes sooner... and if the dealer actually changed the oil before i bought it or not. you've put me at ease enough to run the oil till i can get some shipped here because apparently dexos2 oil is like unicorn piss up here.
You will be fine, don't even trip dawg.
thanks for the peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Not sure why Dexos 2 is hard to find in your area. Every parts store around here has it. Quartz, Motul, Penzoil, A/C Delco, are a few.
If you can't find it, in the meantime at least use a good diesel oil with low ash, like Shell Rotella T6 5w40.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Like others stated, I'd just drain and refill the crankcase and not change the filter.
I run Penzoil Platinum Euro-L and get it from walmart, not all carry it but I can find it locally for <$25 per 5 quarts. Same oil I run in our 2.0L Diesel Cruze.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Dexos 1 5w-30 is too thin. You need to change that ASAP.

rotella t6 is made in 0w40 and even 5w30 now
This is a diesel engine, which calls for 5W-30, so it's not too thin. And I don't believe there's a Rotella that is Dexos rated, although if there's something new, maybe.

But to the OP, there's Dexos 1, Gen 2, Dexos 2 and now Dexos D (3.0 liter Duramax only). I assume you put in Dexos 1, Gen 2 by mistake. I'd replace it if for no other reason it's not designed for a diesel engine.

Edit: It doesn't appear there is a Rotella Dexos 2, but from the list it appears Penzoil is a Shell product??? I've never heard that before.

·
Registered
395 Posts
...I'll send the oil for analyses from blackstone labs like i do my car, they can tell me if i need changes sooner...
What will you do when they tell you that you can go longer between changes? Because they probably will.

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
Just poor in about 4oz of Zmax or STP or PPE or Lucas or Amsoil and it will run forever. No worries.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What will you do when they tell you that you can go longer between changes? Because they probably will.
it's more to see if there are high levels of different metals that can indicate wear. it pretty cheap insurance to see if you have a bearing on the way out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not sure why Dexos 2 is hard to find in your area. Every parts store around here has it. Quartz, Motul, Penzoil, A/C Delco, are a few.
If you can't find it, in the meantime at least use a good diesel oil with low ash, like Shell Rotella T6 5w40.
Absolutly cannot find it anywhere here either. Mail order or dealer only. I buy from my dealer at $8 a qt.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just poor in about 4oz of Zmax or STP or PPE or Lucas or Amsoil and it will run forever. No worries.
Worst advice ever. Dexos 2 oil is a high HTHS oil (greater than 3.5) while Dexos 1 Gen 2 is a low HTHS (typically ~3.1) oil designed for better fuel economy in gasoline engines. HTHS is a trade off between protection and fuel economy.
Also check out the manual. It recommends against pouring snake oil additives into the engine.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Worst advice ever. Dexos 2 oil is a high HTHS oil (greater than 3.5) while Dexos 1 Gen 2 is a low HTHS (typically ~3.1) oil designed for better fuel economy in gasoline engines. HTHS is a trade off between protection and fuel economy.
Also check out the manual. It recommends against pouring snake oil additives into the engine.
Pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
yep, just a joke. I like making fun of snake oils.

Reactions: Yo momma

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I guess the forum needs to add a "Sarcasm Font" as you obviously missed it.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts