Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
I never have liked black wheels. I'm old school because I am old. Back in my day the only cars that came with black wheels were cop cars and taxis. Base models had painted wheels with dog dish hub caps, we called them poverty caps. If you had the money you upgraded to full wheel covers or if you had a muscle car you put aftermarket aluminum wheels on it (mag wheels we called them.) You kids these days!;)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Snow? I am from Florida! :cool:

My age? I'll put it this way. I got my first car as a senior in high school and it was a new off the showroom floor 1966 Pontiac GTO.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Snow? I am from Florida! :cool:

My age? I'll put it this way. I got my first car as a senior in high school and it was a new off the showroom floor 1966 Pontiac GTO.
~15 years later when I was in HS, we bought our cars from your gen. And we called them mags too, cuz that’s what you told us they were. Couldn’t believe anyone would part with such sweet machines. Much appreciated! 🍻

·
Registered
10,233 Posts
I lived in the snow belt region for years, never could understand the purpose of summer and winter wheels, we always swapped tires

Still need a black stripe of some kind along the lower portion of the truck...

Reactions: HED

·
Registered
499 Posts
I lived in the snow belt region for years, never could understand the purpose of summer and winter wheels, we always swapped tires
$900+ for powder coating plus cost of extra wheel set, or $50 to swap tires.
Well I'd agree if that were the case but a set of spare wheels + sensors is more like $300 to $600 for like new take offs.

Other benefit is once you got a set of spare wheels, when it's time for tires, it gives you the option of dropping off your spare wheels, without getting your vehicle involved for mounting - usually cheaper and faster, or at least more convenient. Typically I buy tires online, then I go someplace who mounts/balances for $15/each - it's convenient for them and I when I drop the sets off and pickup later.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
5,208 Posts
Nice Improvement

·
Registered
499 Posts
Couldn't take the silver wheels I bought for my studded snows. Pulled them off and had them powder coated after having them on just one day. Now they're powder coating my summer ZR2 wheels black as well.

View attachment 437912
View attachment 437913
Drop me a PM if you prefer not to post it, given I believe you are in NH, let me know where you took them and what it ran you. May end up doing the same myself at some point.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I never have liked black wheels. I'm old school because I am old. Back in my day the only cars that came with black wheels were cop cars and taxis. Base models had painted wheels with dog dish hub caps, we called them poverty caps. If you had the money you upgraded to full wheel covers or if you had a muscle car you put aftermarket aluminum wheels on it (mag wheels we called them.) You kids these days!;)
Actually, I'm 60 years old, but guess I'm a kid at heart.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
$900+ for powder coating plus cost of extra wheel set, or $50 to swap tires.
I hate paying to swap over twice a year, plus the hassle and the wear and tear on the wheels. $50,000 truck so I don't mind paying $800-$900 for and extra set of wheels. Colorado wheels are a dime a dozen. I've paid as little as $50/wheel for brand new takeoffs.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Drop me a PM if you prefer not to post it, given I believe you are in NH, let me know where you took them and what it ran you. May end up doing the same myself at some point.
Happy to recommend them and pass along their info. I used someone else the last time around but there is just no comparison. They did an amazing job, were great to deal with and even more exacting than I am(and I have OCD). Plus they have a lift and can remove your tires, remount and balance them.

Tri town powder coating 525 Chase Road Lunenburg Ma

·
Premium Member
2018 Colorado LT Crew Cab 4x4 Summit White
153 Posts
Anyone with this experience (black powder coated wheels) after a couple of years? How well did the coating hold up?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Anyone with this experience (black powder coated wheels) after a couple of years? How well did the coating hold up?
Yes, I had a set of 16" factory wheels powder coated for my last truck's snow tires(2018 ZR2 Diesel). I ran them for 3 or 4 years and they looked great when I just sold them off. Unfortunately, the 16" rims don't fit on the newer trucks, so I had to sell them off. That's just dust/dirt from being stored in the shed. There was no chipping, pealing or oxidation after some tough NH winters/salt.
Automotive tire Wheel Alloy wheel Hubcap Tire

1 - 20 of 23 Posts