Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WTF I started my truck, and started to drive down my street, after about 100 feet the engine cut out and the following warning lights came on brake failure abs failure air bag light security light. The truck says it has low fuel. None of the lights light up on the transfer case selector. The light does not light up for the transmissions gear selection. Turning the key has the same effect as it would when in gear. I recently had an amp, sub woofer, and head unit installed, my on star has not worked since the sub and amp were put in and i was told putting in the head unit will fix this since the the sub running off speaker level disabled my onstar. Also the weather is currently -31 celcius. It is a completely stock 08 crew cab canyon except the stealth box, slash amp, and alpine deck. I am thinking the audio shop that installed the components to my equipment screwed this up any ideas?

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
my canyon had the same exact symptoms after it was struck by lighning, id say something in the stereo install spiked the computer. mine had every single ecu and module in it replaced before it would start.

no longer own it either. never trusted it again.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
convinced the dealer i was a warrenty claim. 6 modules that i know of, and it is drive by wire on the throttle so im not gonna take the chance something else was wrong as it saw a lot of voltage

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Man You need to make sure they installed the GMOS1 harness and not a metra 9003 for older model chevy trucks... Just check your receipt, if the wiring harness was around 50-75 bucks then thats the correct GMOS1 module, and onstar should still be in tact. Otherwise No, Like you said could be an onstar theft type issue.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My step dad has a code checker, and when it was plugged in it said it could not connect with the computer, but it worked with another 2008 canyon

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
dude try reseting the ECU by taking off your battery and disconnect the amp wiring from the terminal on the positive cable. Just let it sit for 30 minutes, and reconnect it without the amp cable on. see if that works, if so take that back to the place that installed it and B*TCH!

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Almost sounds like an alternator problem. When I lost my alternator and the battery was dying random lights would come on and go off until there wasn't enough juice to keep the throttle open and then it died.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the same lights have been on since the incident last night,
and the lights didnt come on until the engine died
i am thinking the computer is fried at this point, i have the
battery disconnected, and am going down to the dealer
in a little over an hour and reconnecting it, i will hope for the best
but i am pretty sure the computers fried.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Well I dont know about a bad alternator from a single amp/sub... also being and 08. Out of curiosity is your sub amp setup run out of a line output converter with the stock H/U?

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Just throwing it out there as an option since it sounded similar to what happened to me.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It was run off a speaker level out put when i had the stock hu
but now it is plugged in to the back of the aftermarket hu
i disconnected it from the positive terminal, and i left the
negative disconnected for a few hours hooked it all up
and it was exactly the same

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nothing yet, the dealer said they took a quick look
and they couldn't figure it out, and that they were trying
to get it into the shop again to preform more in depth diagnostics
they are currently 10 days behind, or so I've been told

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
it was a fuse..
and they said this time
it will be covered under warranty
and that they think its the audio equipment
but they cannot provide proof, the audio place said theirs no way
that their installation caused the problem and they would book it in
and look over everything if i wanted
the gm dealer gave me a spare fuse, i am good for now
maybe it will never happen again, i am not sure
if it does you will hear from me.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Holy shister! what was the damn fuse to?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'd deff have that audio shop look everything over again... it's very possible they just mixed up one little thing. Just my .02

1 - 20 of 20 Posts