Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Issues with 2019 ZR2

17K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  Mellowguy024 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I bought a 2019 ZR2 in February and about once a month experience issues when starting the vehicle. There is a constant clicking noise, gauges flicker, check engine light pops on and the following alerts keep popping up on the dashboard:

“Fuel level low” - I have over half a tank currently in the vehicle
“Service power steering, drive with care”
“Service 4WD”
“Service stabilitrak”
“Engine power is reduced”
“Service trailer break system”

I’ve gone to a Chevy dealer twice for this and they’ve said they’re not sure what is. After a day or two with the dealer, they say the issue went away and then they clear the check engine light. Have any of you seen this or have an idea what the issue may be? It just happened a third time last night and is really frustrating. I have a video as well if that would be helpful to view. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
I've seen posts of bad connections at various points in the truck being the cause of similar issues. IIRC one was at/near the fuse block under the hood. It seems sometimes at the factory a connection doesn't get pushed it all the way.

You could try searching for this stuff but good luck, it ain't easy.

Sorry but I think you will have to hope it gets worse (so the dealer can fix it) or it quits doing it would be nice too.

Diagnosing something that only happens intermittently is the worst! At least it doesn't leave you stranded.

You could try the good ol' wiggle test and maybe get lucky. Push, pull, wiggle wire harnesses and watch for your problem to isolate the area.

#3 ·
when starting the vehicle? we need more info

First thing in the morning?
After a few beers in the evening?

At the Mall before it has cooled down?
-30 degree, or +100 degrees?
Canada or USA?
What color is your ZR2?

I actually have not heard of this issue, other smy chime in

Reactions: Toughsox
#4 ·
Is this a diesel truck?

#6 ·
Really sounds like a loose connection, but where is the hard part?

#7 ·
Sounds like a connector to me, and a connector with a lot of wires.

Reactions: dave66rivi
#8 · (Edited)
Yup, almost assuredly a connection issue. Check grounds, including the battery. I've heard of the main wire harness connector having a bad pin or two as well as being loose. For giggles I'd go out and check the battery terminals as well as the charge level of the battery. I've seen "brand new" vehicles with lame batteries. It only takes a few deep disharges to ruin a standard battery.

#10 ·
Let the dealer handle it. You did not buy a NEW truck to have something to work on! Make them earn their keep. Show them the video.

#13 ·
I'm thinking a battery issue. Maybe you just got a bad one. Have the dealer put in a brand new battery and see what happens.

#14 ·
Bring up the battery voltage on the DIC and see what it is when you have these issues. We have a 12V system but it's designed to work at 13V.

#16 · (Edited)
Keep in mind that our trucks will operate normally as low as 11v and as high as 15v. The more amperage the truck is pulling the higher the constant voltage will be. DRL's and AC on and my truck will operate for long periods of time at 11.1v. As soon as the headlights and parking lights come on The voltage will jump to mid 13's or higher. If I've been sitting tinkering with the ignition on and engine off, the voltage will run up in the 15's as soon as I crank the truck up. The voltage indicator usually runs in the 13.8 range on startup and once charged, the alternator will cut off and on as needed. So the old " it should be ## volts" gets tossed to an extent on these new vehicles.

#15 ·
Hello forum. Let me introduce my self. I just purchased a 2019 Colorado Zr2 diesel. I have been mostly a Toyota guy, Tacoma’s, 4-runners, and Landcruisers. I sold my 97 Landcruiser triple locked with 227,000 miles for the Zr2. As it is definitely a better DD.

Today I had the same thing happen but the key would not come out and it had to be towed to the dealer. They do not know what the problem is but think might be the ignition switch or the computer. Battery is good as per their tester and my voltage on truck was 12.7 this morning.

This all started when I was driving and the first sign was the service axle lockers came on. Then a few miles later the service trailer brake system came on. Then the whole dash lit up and the door locks activated and deactivated several times. Engine stumbled and I thought it was going die. Then it stopped and was fine. No problems, several stops at stores shutting it off and restarting. The next morning screen said contact dealer for service it wouldn't start and had numerous messages just keep popping up as posted in first post. Mileage is 225
I will follow up with dealer outcome. Cheers!

#18 ·
several have had a wire loom come loose and bang against the transfer case which caused intermittent issues like described

#21 ·
Ok...I have a 2017 Canyon and have had these issues all along. 3 times it has been back at the dealer. All of these dash warning codes are all bogus as any disruption of communication module will cause it to throw codes...any code...which has nothing to do with the issue, which is communication with the the trucks computer module. As for them finding the problem...don't hold your breath. Mine was said to be a bad positive battery cable...replaced...happened two more times. They will pick something plausible to replace to placate you. Now there just may be something to this TSB about aftermarket chargers and USB ports disrupting communication with the module. I had had one plugged into my lighter port from almost the time the truck was purchased. I now do not plug it in until it is needed and after the car has been started. Since not leaving it plugged in I have had no more issues...but wont be sold until its been 6 months to a year.

#22 ·
Thanks for that info. They had it working. Checked the area at the wiring harness but any time they touched the fuse box it would duplicate problem. So that is where they are going first. Waiting for GM to send part. Have not hooked any phoneinto ports, chargers, or used Bluetooth. I believe wiring harness will be next step if fuse box is not the issue. Will keep posted!

#23 ·
Follow up.....Finally got the ZR2 home today. It was the fuse block. Melted positive terminal. They believe it was a bad wire up from the sports bar lights or just came from the factory bad.

Truck was in the shop for a few weeks. They hooked me up with a gm hood deflector that I was looking at and got a quote for the day I bought the truck.... for no charge.

The fuse block was on back order and they did not have a diesel in stock to take one of off. The dealer has been wonderful and kept me informed the whole time, as well as GM.

#24 ·
Finally, a feel good story with a happy ending! Here’s hoping you now have many Ks miles of carefree driving.

Gusto!

Reactions: 93Duc
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.