Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Is your 2015-2019 A/C system abnormally loud?

• Yes, too noisy

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • No, seems fine

Votes: 48 57.8%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
The AC is one of the first things I noticed when I test drove my 2018 Colorado. It felt like the blower was either too low or too high, the dial didn't seem to be really too gradual. Low - Medium felt like it didn't push out enough, and Medium - High felt like it was too loud and felt like anything from Medium - High was just straight up High, didn't feel like there was any real middle ground. This didn't sway my purchase because it felt like a minor annoyance to me. I haven't really noticed it again after driving it for a few months (purchased on Fathers Day), but maybe I'm just getting used to it, and now it seems fine lol Mine does't make any odd noises, just normal AC blower.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
How the AC compressor sounds like, some like a metal coffee can full of ball bearings swirling around? That is some that will worry about, maybe is a bit low on Refrigerant. However, there is certain amount of sound and that is normal. But is all a matter of perception, as said before, on what you consider loud.

As far the Blower... think for a min, the cab is restricted on real estate. They have to design the blower to move large quantities of air. So either increase Speed or Volume. Speed is the answer given the room they need to work on. So... the Speed of the air makes the AC louder at full blast.

Let us be real, is an affordable truck, so if you want some quiter, get a luxury vehicle, then you can nit pick about anything that is not up to snuff.

I say the AC is fine.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Multiple variables at play here. OP seems to be asking specifically about compressor noise when it's under load. Maybe a little louder than normal but still within what I'd think is a normal range, and the system seems to operate like it should. Compressor cycles normally, lines chill or get warm appropriately, water condensing on evap coil, air blows ice cold.

On comparing cars like the Malibu to the Colorado, can't do that. That is apples to oranges, 99% sure the compressor is a different part and even if they were the same part, it's too tough to compare given the different vehicle structures, mounting locations. Can really only compare to the same truck after verifying the ac compressors are the same part.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Oh, okay. When I was referring to a loud a/c in my response, I was talking about the fan.
Same here, I unwittingly answered yes because the fan sounds like a Harrier taking off.

And the AC is crap. 1234yf is the worst refrigerant the hippies have saddled us with to date.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Indeed ! Excellent description of the compressor noise. In 50 years of automobile ownership, I never had a vehicle with such a noisy a/c compressor. May be related to the 1234yf refrigerant system refinement. Who knows? It been reported that GM is cutting over to 1234yf.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Do it isn’t r1234a? I never would have known!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No such thing as r1234a. R-134a, R-1234yf. There’s a sticker under the hood that says what refrigerant is used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
465 Posts
Sorry I mean 134a! Interesting. Why did they change ugh never even heard of yf! Guess that can be bought? And isn’t compatible with 134a?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
I don’t know the specific reasons behind the change but it’s an industry-wide change, not GM-specific, and it seems to have been around for a while. Not horribly new.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
What I heard, the change from R12 to R134 was that DuPont's 100 year Patent on R12 was about to expire, then, created the CFC hoax to enforce the change thus creating a new lease in life.

You never know, could be some similar to that. Like creating a new refrigerant to get away from R134.

R12 sure was a heck of a refregerant, pumps ran on much lower pressures and extracted more cabin heat.

Here is some odd that I never seen before on an AC Compressor. The one used in the Pontiac G8 is a Denso unit that has NO Clutch. Instead, has a Variable Displacement Compressor. It does it by using something similar to a Swash Plate to prevent the pistons from compressing. Is pretty quiet I must say, you never hear that Slaping/Clacking sound of the clutch engaging.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
What I heard, the change from R12 to R134 was that DuPont's 100 year Patent on R12 was about to expire, then, created the CFC hoax to enforce the change thus creating a new lease in life.

You never know, could be some similar to that. Like creating a new refrigerant to get away from R134.

R12 sure was a heck of a refregerant, pumps ran on much lower pressures and extracted more cabin heat.

Here is some odd that I never seen before on an AC Compressor. The one used in the Pontiac G8 is a Denso unit that has NO Clutch. Instead, has a Variable Displacement Compressor. It does it by using something similar to a Swash Plate to prevent the pistons from compressing. Is pretty quiet I must say, you never hear that Slaping/Clacking sound of the clutch engaging.

“CFC hoax?” Good grief, no. Just no.

https://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/education/whatischemistry/landmarks/cfcs-ozone.html

And in case you’re not a sciency person...

http://www.imcool.com/articles/aircondition/refrigerant_history.htm

·
Registered
975 Posts
I don't necessarily believe there is no CFC/ozone connection, but I do find it "interesting" that NASA triumphantly announced CFC levels are down and the hole is measurably smaller literally just a few months after a study in Nature showed Chinese factories have been cranking out CFCs at levels that nearly wiped out everything the west did to eliminate them (80% of 1987 levels, where we "should" have been near 0% for something like 10 years now). Something doesn't add up. But global warming is like religion and politics, you'll never convince anyone who disagrees with you, regardless of your position.

The sad truth is that the change is based upon fuel economy... and not because either refrigerant actually has anything to do with fuel economy.

The marketing-friendly explanation for the switch is because R134a is considered a greenhouse gas, but that is not the ozone layer problem (real or not). Refrigerants are assigned a "global warming potential" (GWP) and a separate ozone depletion potential (ODP) rating. Lower GWP is better and is based on CO2 which has GWP of 1. R134a was rated 1430 where as R1234yf is rated as just 1, the same as pure CO2. Good old R12 was rated at 2400, and in the earliest days of commercially-available refrigerants there was R11 which is way up there at 4000. GWP is not the same as ozone depletion potential (ODP), so the change wasn't related to that. R12 is the baseline for ODP at 1.0, but both R134a and R1234yf are rated 0.0.

However, there is no mandate to use it. It's measurably less efficient, it costs more, it's harder and more expensive to work with, it's harder on the equipment, and for extra bonus points, it's mildly flammable (to the point both SAE and CARB are pushing to prohibit availability to the public). So why would any auto-manufacturer bother?

Because the EPA gives CAFE CO2 credits for R1234yf.

The credit is 13.8 grams/mi for cars and 17.2 grams/mile for trucks. The LGZ Colorado is rated by the EPA at 9.2 tons of CO2 per year assuming 15,000 miles, which is 562.45 grams/mile, so we endure shitty AC for a 3% bump to the truck's CAFE rating.

I have a secret theory that the hippies keep pushing increasingly worse refrigerants because they like BO.

·
Registered
975 Posts
The other sort-of-interesting thing I stumbled across while looking up that stuff is that Mercedes has been working on a way to use pure CO2 as a refrigerant (I think it's called R744). I couldn't find whether it actually went into production but in 2016 they were planning to roll it out in Europe in model year 2017. It wouldn't be legal in the US yet anyway, because, ironically, the EPA hippies have to approve the use of a naturally-occurring gas, because Reasons. :roll:

Going back to the question of AC noise, there was a thread here awhile back about how our trucks use a compressor and mounting setup similar to recent Cadillacs that are also running R1234yf, and apparently they were so noisy and had such bad vibration that I think there was a recall (might be wrong about the recall part but I know it was a huge source of complaints).

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
What I said was Tongue and Cheek kind of talk, that is why I said.... "What I heard,..." I do not want to turn this on a debate of Alarmists Vs Denialists. The thread is about AC and will be nice to keep it that way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a diesel and can't hear the compressor in the cab at all, and can't detect it cycling on and off either. I think the diesel has more sound deadening though so may account for that.

Maybe my wife is right, and I need to get my hearing checked!

·
Registered
7 Posts
My AC compressor is definitely too loud. I can hear it at highway speeds with the radio off. I also have fan wining when set really low, but it goes away when it is turned up due to the noise of the air flow. I will have them check it out when it goes back in to have the spacer installed to correct the rear lean.
2018 CCLB V6 4x4 4200miles

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
About this Discussion
43 Replies
25 Participants
russ455
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing