Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Is your 2015-2019 A/C system abnormally loud?

• Yes, too noisy

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • No, seems fine

Votes: 48 57.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been going back and forth with my GMC service department over this issue. I say my A/C system is too loud. They say "it's normal for a Canyon or Colorado". I said it's much louder than any other vehicle I've ever owned or driven, even the Chevy Malibu they gave me as a loaner while they had my truck for other service. They said you can't compare apples and oranges, which I responded that it's like comparing red delicious apples and honeycrisp apples, they're both apples and they're both red. The Malibu and Canyon are both GM vehicles with A/C systems that both operate on the same refrigerant principles.

The service manager then suggested that I take this matter up with GM Engineering. Really? The customer needs to communicate with GM Engineering?

Please take a second to respond to the poll so I can identify the amount of 2015-2019 Colorado and Canyons that are having this issue. Specifically, the noise seems to be compressor related and most noticeable while idling or at slower speeds (road noise seems to drown most of it out).

·
Registered
46 Posts
My a/c is louder than on any car I have ever owned, but it doesn't really bother me.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Differentiate between fan noise and compressor noise?
Compressor noise is what I'm targeting. If while I'm hearing the noise I hit the A/C button to effectively disengage the compressor, the sound goes away but the sound of the air flowing through the vents and the motor pushing the air stays the same.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Compressor noise is what I'm targeting. If while I'm hearing the noise I hit the A/C button to effectively disengage the compressor, the sound goes away but the sound of the air flowing through the vents and the motor pushing the air stays the same.
Oh, okay. When I was referring to a loud a/c in my response, I was talking about the fan.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have not noticed any compressor fan noise over the sound of Diesel engine.

Edit: Sorry meant compressor noise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I don't hear the A/C compressor or the A/C clutch. The fan when on high is kinda loud, but cools the cab fast and then slows down.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Louder <or different sounding> than previous vehicles I've owned, but not something that is a big deal or anything I'd consider a "problem".......
Nothing I would even consider bringing to the service department for......

·
Registered
41 Posts
Indeed! Thanks for posting the poll. Yes, My 2018 Canyon is loud, and can be heard in the cabin and outside the vehicle when the compressor is running. Given the noise is subjective to what is considered noisy, it's just not on some folks radar. I am pretty well in tune with the mechanical noises of a vehicle. As such, their is indeed an engineering design flaw in my opinion. Until GM decides to come up with a solution, dealers are not going to do anything. I plan to report the issue at my 1st oil change. My Canyon has just under 3k miles on it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The only thing I hear is the fan. This is the best AC I've ever owned. 90+ degrees, black, parked in the sun all day, and it cools off almost instantly.

·
Registered
465 Posts
It does work well. Though I have experienced intermittent AC cutting out on longer trips. But doesn’t happen often. Seems to happen more on low fan setting like it’s not having enough load to stay on so it swings more. Sounds like bad PID pressure tuning to me.

The heat is like that have to constantly mess with. I hate auto heat systems as human body can be cold so you need it to blow a set heat for a while before reducing. But it will reduce as soon as cabin temp comes up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
256 Posts
Under certain conditions, it will make a whine/groan sound which can be heard at low speeds or idle. Usually happens on hot days. But nothing unusual about the sound; if I pop the hood it sounds normal. My previous truck was a Silverado and it sounded the same.
No complaints about how it works; it'll freeze me out of the cabin.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Indeed! Thanks for posting the poll. Yes, My 2018 Canyon is loud, and can be heard in the cabin and outside the vehicle when the compressor is running. Given the noise is subjective to what is considered noisy, it's just not on some folks radar. I am pretty well in tune with the mechanical noises of a vehicle. As such, their is indeed an engineering design flaw in my opinion. Until GM decides to come up with a solution, dealers are not going to do anything. I plan to report the issue at my 1st oil change. My Canyon has just under 3k miles on it.
So according to your logic, 77% of us must be deaf, have no mechanical aptitude, or just don't care?
Or just maybe, 77% of us believe there is no issue based on what we hear?

Indeed an Engineering flaw? What data do you have to support that?
Nope, IMHO just sounds different......good luck with your dealer.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Fan / vent noise. Those leuvers are the thickest Ive ever seen. I guess now that more folks are clipping air fresheners and cell phones to them they have to be strong.

Maybe if people took all the crap off the vents it would be quieter. I could be wrong..

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
I THINK I've heard mine going slow in the neighborhood. To say it's a design flaw or whatever to me is silly. These variable displacement compressors are different from the ones in the past. I used to fix AC for a living and I honestly don't know what it should sound like on this truck. I'm sure the sound can change depending on a few things. The fuel injection on these V6s make noise too. Maybe that is what some people are hearing? Not really sure, DI is new to me too. :) Hell, I don't know. All I know is it gets over 100 deg around here and my possibly noisy AC works great. Reading these posts make me think we are all guessing. No??

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
About this Discussion
43 Replies
25 Participants
russ455
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing