Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the truck for a couple of months now and just hit 900 miles. 2017 LT automatic. I traded my 2006 Frontier NISMO for it. Owned that truck for 11 years. When I floor the Colorado say going on to the highway from an on ramp, I expect it to downshift into passing gear. It usually just accelerates without downshifting. Not impressed. And then when I back off the throttle at 70 to 80 for example, the truck seems to shutter as if the transmission is hunting for a gear. My Frontier did have a CAI and dual tail pipes with a flowmaster on it and was a 6 speed auto. But it always dropped down to passing gear and accelerated pretty darn good for a truck that had 268 hp vs 308 hp. Anyone notice this on your truck or am I not using the throttle correctly with this 8 speed?

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Read about "adaptive shifting" in the owners manual. You need to go WOT to get a down shift in most situations. Do a search on "Pedal Commander". Long thread here about this product. I did not like the throttle and shifting of my ZR2 and I installed a PC, I'm very satisfied with it, major improvement in overall drivability.

Reactions: BustaLota

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have 1200 miles on my truck which has the 3.6L, 8 speed. What I have noticed is if I put about half the pedal down, when getting on the freeway, it more readily downshifts. If I floor it, I don't feel the same downshift as I do when just push half way. I also get the clunky shifts, but it seems to be always hunting for a higher gear.

Bottom line, I've never been disappointed with the acceleration of the truck.:grin2:

·
Registered
2019 GMC Canyon All Terrain
2,023 Posts
Push the gas a little harder and go past the detent, you'll feel it. Its called "Kickdown Mode" and it's not anywhere in the Colorado Owners Manual, but its a "fuel saving feature." To keep out of WOT in more situations. Thus saving fuel. It's annoying for sure.

I remember reading about it when the 8 speeds first came out in the Full size trucks. It will downshift when you go past the detent and the motor will open up wide.

·
Registered
94 Posts
A Trifecta tune will cure this.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for your input. I miss the days of non computerized cars and trucks. I'll try the half throttle thing and see if I can learn how to make it downshift.

Bob

·
Registered
65 Posts
A Trifecta tune will cure this.
I'm hoping so, and cant wait! In the meantime, I notice the same similiarities, but we both seem to be learning. I've learned that the right speed and depth you push will get it jumping without standing on it, and it seems to be learning the routine and making it easier. I've got like 1100 miles now, but that tune should make it a blast. Waiting on USPS.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.