Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been active in here for a few years now and it seems it goes back and forth between which aftermarket headlights are best. My only real requirements are well sealed and being able to use my current HIDs I have installed with my factory projectors.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
All aftermarkets use a different bulb (either h7 or h1 )

So at a minimum you will need to buy new bulbs.

As to sealing, you really want to go over any lights yourself and add an additional layer of sealant. These aftermarket manufacturers dont really do a good job (true for almost any aftermarket light)

Reactions: Turns31

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Bump! Anyone know of a good aftermarket projector head light that improves upon the shitty reflector head lights??
if you want actual performance, pick up a set of OEM projector lights then add the 4TL-R projector swap from TRS with an HID kit. The aftermarket lights use bulk HALOGEN projectors across all their various headlights for all cars (which is why its a different bulb than OEM) which arent known for their great performance.

Reactions: Yukondiesel

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Colorado, crewcab long box, 2.8L Duramax, Shadow Metalic Grey. 2" level kit
31 Posts
I have built myself 4 sets of hid projectors and 1 set of LED to date. I am in no means an expert but i can offer some advice and my findings.

Hands down best illumination is a quality full projector retrofit. The morimoto direct replacement kit is as beat your going to get without doing a total custom job (imo, and there will be someone to disagree)
I have used the retrofit source many times and they are great. Morimoto bulbs and ballasts are amazing (35watt will be more than sufficient. I get highbeamed with the 55watts. They glare regardless of aim in anything higher than a car)
Those cheaper full swap hesdlights have terrible optics and have qc issues in terms of bulb alignment/fitment. The other up side is that you can be sure the oem lenses arent going to yellow like the repro ones do.
Just my $0.02. Id be happy to answer what i can and point you in the direction, if i cant.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I went with Morimoto HID's in my Spyder projectors. H7 is what they take. Halogens just suck....

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have the 4TLR retrofit with Morimoto 35w ballasts and 4500k bulbs and they are great. Output is awesome and the cutoff is pretty sharp. The raised portion of the cutoff seems a bit high though, but it's away from oncoming traffic so whatever. I have found that offroading in hilly areas, gets a bit annoying since you can't see anything above the cutoff. They use the D2S bulb which is a popular OEM HID bulb. Add the dual high beams and they put out a solid amount of light. Install was not too bad. There's a decent video that walks you through it.

The Retrofit Source has a couple videos on YouTube that compare and test various D2S bulbs to help make your bulb decision a little more informed. I plan to upgrade my bulbs at some point, because there is a lot left on the table.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts