Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
I believe so I know for sure on the Canyons, could be different on the Colorado. But I know mine has the G80 but didn’t come with the factory tow package. I was confused as well with it having it or not but it’s on the window sticker and glove box code list.
For the G80 to be standard on the Colorado requires the Z71 trim, 4WD isn't required and it's not standard on any WT or LT trims by default.

For the Canyon the G80 is indeed standard on all 4WD trims.

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
I believe so I know for sure on the Canyons, could be different on the Colorado. But I know mine has the G80 but didn’t come with the factory tow package. I was confused as well with it having it or not but it’s on the window sticker and glove box code list.
For the G80 to be standard on the Colorado requires the Z71 trim, 4WD isn't required and it's not standard on any WT or LT trims by default.

I know in 2015 the G80 was pretty much standard on the Canyons. I think you could get the Canyon trim (no letters after it) and the SL without a G80, but once you went to the SLE & SLT models it was standard. I want to say the tow package was standard on some trims of the Canyon for a while as well.

GM did (does) a fine job of confusing it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm surprised they haven't found it cheaper to just put them in all the Colorado/Canyons. It would make assembly and inventory easier. And they wouldn't have a single buyer ever walk off the lot finding a truck they liked, except for the rear end.
One would think but it’s GM after all, pretty much every vehicle under the GM brand has confusing options and what comes with what standard.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
One would think but it’s GM after all, pretty much every vehicle under the GM brand has confusing options and what comes with what standard.
Ford seems to be just as bad. Subaru didn't seem as bad, having just four trim levels and only relatively minor changes you could make to those (e.g. bumper covers). It was actually limiting though because the leather color on the top trim level was butt ugly, so we didn't even consider it.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
My understanding is that the GM Trailer Sway Control (using stabilitrak to sense trailer sway and then applying alternate side brakes and (if required) throttle opening to limit sway) requires the GM brake controller. What I could not find out but hopefully your dealer would know is whether or not you also need an upgrade to the programming to recognize the addition of the brake controller or if it is just plug and play.

My towing combination is very stable in cross winds where I have seen other trailers and some big rigs swaying very badly, and I can't help but think the Stabilitrak has something to do with that.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
My understanding is that the GM Trailer Sway Control (using stabilitrak to sense trailer sway and then applying alternate side brakes and (if required) throttle opening to limit sway) requires the GM brake controller. What I could not find out but hopefully your dealer would know is whether or not you also need an upgrade to the programming to recognize the addition of the brake controller or if it is just plug and play.

My towing combination is very stable in cross winds where I have seen other trailers and some big rigs swaying very badly, and I can't help but think the Stabilitrak has something to do with that.
The factory brake controller can’t be added later and trailer sway control doesn’t kick in unless there’s excessive sway. You’d know if it kicked in. It doesn’t predict when sway might happen and tries to prevent it, you just happen to have a stable setup and I assume a decent WDH with sway control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,114 Posts

My Owner's Manual for my 2015 discusses Trailer Sway Control and the Integrated Trailer Brake Controller was not even available back then.

From my Manual:

Trailer Sway Control (TSC)
Vehicles with StabiliTrak have a TSC feature. Trailer sway is unintended side-to-side motion of a
trailer while being towed. If the vehicle is towing a trailer and the TSC detects that sway is increasing,
the vehicle brakes are selectively applied at each wheel, to help reduce excessive trailer sway.
If TSC is enabled, the Traction Control System (TCS)/StabiliTrak warning light will flash on the
instrument cluster. Vehicle speed must be reduced. If trailer sway continues, StabiliTrak can reduce
engine torque to help slow the vehicle.

Reactions: DieselDrax

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
My Owner's Manual for my 2015 discusses Trailer Sway Control and the Integrated Trailer Brake Controller was not even available back then.

From my Manual:

Trailer Sway Control (TSC)
Vehicles with StabiliTrak have a TSC feature. Trailer sway is unintended side-to-side motion of a
trailer while being towed. If the vehicle is towing a trailer and the TSC detects that sway is increasing,
the vehicle brakes are selectively applied at each wheel, to help reduce excessive trailer sway.
If TSC is enabled, the Traction Control System (TCS)/StabiliTrak warning light will flash on the
instrument cluster. Vehicle speed must be reduced. If trailer sway continues, StabiliTrak can reduce
engine torque to help slow the vehicle.
So I guess this is what is added then (from my 2018 owners manual)......
"............ If the vehicle
is equipped with the Integrated
Trailer Brake Control (ITBC) system,
and the trailer has the electric
actuated brake system, StabiliTrak
may also apply the trailer brakes."

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
So I guess this is what is added then (from my 2018 owners manual)......
"............ If the vehicle
is equipped with the Integrated
Trailer Brake Control (ITBC) system,
and the trailer has the electric
actuated brake system, StabiliTrak
may also apply the trailer brakes."
I can see where the Integrated Trailer Brake Controller could allow for further use of the Stabiltrak system. Excellent information.

That is just another reason to consider the Integrated Trailer Brake Controller option.

I have said before, there are only two "upgrades" to the Twins since I purchased my 2015 truck, the Integrated Trailer Brake Controller and Android Auto, that I would really want. And based on a few comments about the newer entertainment systems, not sure if the Android Auto is all it is made out to be.

Of course, I don't tow enough to make truck replacement for just this one option a consideration.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
I guess folks have determined after much effort that you cannot upgrade to the factory brake controller, but seems there are some good aftermarket options. So regarding original post you cannot upgrade to the identical Tow Package but you can certainly add a Class IV or III hitch, and a good aftermarket brake controller.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
I guess folks have determined after much effort that you cannot upgrade to the factory brake controller, but seems there are some good aftermarket options. So regarding original post you cannot upgrade to the identical Tow Package but you can certainly add a Class IV or III hitch, and a good aftermarket brake controller.
The OP already has the factory hitch and connectors, which they somehow didn't realize until later in this thread. Where you been? :D A Prodigy P3 brake controller (or similar) and a plug and play adapter from etrailer.com should be all they need to complete their towing setup.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
The OP already has the factory hitch and connectors, which they somehow didn't realize until later in this thread. Where you been? :D A Prodigy P3 brake controller (or similar) and a plug and play adapter from etrailer.com should be all they need to complete their towing setup.
LOL ! Well, post #12 x 2 then. So guess the 3500 lb towing capacity was not from a VIN lookup either.

·
Registered
2016 Colorado WT, crew cab long bed
68 Posts
Do all trucks with the towing package have the factory trailer brake controller? I have a 16 WT with a towing package but no brake controller. This thread has me a little confused.

·
Registered
724 Posts
No... it is an option for that package.
And its my understanding it can't be added as GM OEM after if truck didn't come with it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification fellas.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts

I just discovered something else. ALL Colorado CCLB trims come with the G80 and trailering package as standard. 2WD, 4WD doesn't matter. Colorado WT CCLB is only available with the V6 and also includes the trailering package and G80 as standard, the ECLB and CCSB WT and LT don't come with the G80 or trailering package standard even if you select the V6.

So...yeah...kinda weird, but whatever.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just discovered something else. ALL Colorado CCLB trims come with the G80 and trailering package as standard. 2WD, 4WD doesn't matter. Colorado WT CCLB is only available with the V6 and also includes the trailering package and G80 as standard, the ECLB and CCSB WT and LT don't come with the G80 or trailering package standard even if you select the V6.

So...yeah...kinda weird, but whatever.
Interesting... luckily my WT is a cclb so I have all those goodies

21 - 40 of 53 Posts