Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2016 Chevy Colorado V6 with extended cab. I'm trying to figure out how can I increase default 3,500 lb towing capacity. All I can find is "towing package" option offered with purchase of the truck, but not much more. What is towing package exactly? Is it something I can upgrade to?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Without seeing your truck, I would guess that your truck did not come with the factory tow hitch or wiring. I believe you can add the tow package afterwards, but the wiring (both trailer lights and brakes) might be a headache, as GM likes to make it an involved process..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Typically, no. Towing ratings take into account suspension load ability coupled with drive train capability and braking power. Your best bet would likely be helper springs. The only other option is your hitch class, which is basically the mounting application. For example, a bumper mounted ball can’t pull as much as a frame coupled hitch assembly. That being said, just because you get a hitch can handle 8 billion pounds it doesn’t mean you can actually tow it. I wouldn’t exceed tow ratings by a whole lot unless 1. I was on flat ground for most of the tow and 2. The trailer has brakes and a solid suspension that won’t bounce your truck everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
I almost bought mine without the factory tow package, dealer tried to work a deal to have it added. Yes, it can be done.

Go to etrailer.com and look up a colorado. You basically need three things: The reciever hitch itself, the 4-pin/7-pin piece that mounts in the bumper that allows you to plug in your trailer, and a brake controller. Your truck is already wired for these things, like in your footwell panel is a connection for the brake controller. There is actually a video where they add all this stuff to a colorado on etrailer. You should be able to do it yourself.

The only other things added in a tow package are a g80 posi rearend and maybe an upgraded trans cooler? I think even non towing trucks have a trans cooler. I believe they all have a tow mode too. Suspension and frames are all the same. Maybe the 4 cylinders different? I wouldn't try to tow much with those anyways.

Just watch the trans temp gauge and tow a reasonable weight and you will be just fine.

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
Too much wrong information here.

The tow package involves a 2 inch receiver and wiring for trailer hookup. There are numerous threads on replacing the crossmember with one that includes the 2 inch receiver. Not sure, but I think the wiring is plug and play.

The V6 already has a transmission cooler. The tow package does not include anything else.

GM requires the G80 to get factory tow package. I think you might really want that for boat launching, but otherwise it is nice but not a fatal issue to have the open differential. I am not aware I ever engaged my locker while towing.

Reactions: White016 and Skidog

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
GM requires the G80 to get factory tow package. I think you might really want that for boat launching,
Personally I'd want a 4x4 for boat launching, particularly on water with tides. Nothing worse than going backward when you're trying to pull a boat out of the water. Also, I've never needed this for the lighter boats I've pulled (under 1,500 pounds), but having the low speed transfer case might help at times too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WOW, I'm reading comments and realized that my Colorado probably HAS towing package! I don't remember getting it but it must've been bundled as part of some other package (maybe part of LT trim or because I ordered automatic locking rear differential option). Because I do have hitch and wiring harness... How would I tell for sure?

·
Registered
16 Posts
^Yes you have the tow package.

All 4WD trucks starting in 2016 or 2017 came standard with the G80 with or without the tow package. My 18 Canyon 4WD has the G80 but did not have the tow package but I soon added one after purchase.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
WOW, I'm reading comments and realized that my Colorado probably HAS towing package! I don't remember getting it but it must've been bundled as part of some other package (maybe part of LT trim or because I ordered automatic locking rear differential option). Because I do have hitch and wiring harness... How would I tell for sure? View attachment 393023
you got it! Wooohooo!
Something is wrong with your license plate though, it's all blurry.

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
^Yes you have the tow package.

All 4WD trucks starting in 2016 or 2017 came standard with the G80 with or without the tow package. My 18 Canyon 4WD has the G80 but did not have the tow package but I soon added one after purchase.
Did they? I know all Z71 trucks had the G80. I thought you could still get a 4WD without the G80. (You had to work real hard to do it, basically a WT or LT with 4WD, no tow package. )

@bratan - In 2016, they were still putting the build label in the glovebox. From some comments here, I think that is no longer the case, you have to scan some barcode and it will link you a build sheet for truck. In any event, if you look in the glovebox, the label should say:

G80 - Locking Differential
Z82 - Towing Package

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wait a minute... was this literally just an entire thread dedicated to “do I have a tow hitch”? I thought you were trying to upgrade how much you can tow. WTF. Not to be an ass, but wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
I always keep the window sticker--so if you have that . . ..

You could tell you have the G80 by accelerating hard enough to spin the tires.
Or look at the RPO code sticker in the glovebox and see if it lists G80. :D

·
Registered
724 Posts
My 2019 Colorado V6 crew cab 4x4 was a dealer trade When I bought it it didn't have the tow pkg (Basically no hitch and dummy cover on back where you plug trailer wire in) I wanted the tow pkg. All they had to do in my case was put the GM hitch same as factory on (you remove bumper, harness already was there) and put the Gm plug in on the back that has the closed cover.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
You obviously don't know what my glovebox looks like! ;)
Mine is stuffed full, so maybe I do! But it's not to horrible to empty out because it's relatively tiny. :D

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
You obviously don't know what my glovebox looks like! ;)
Mine is stuffed full, so maybe I do! But it's not to horrible to empty out because it's relatively tiny. :D
I empty my glovebox everytime I replace my cabin filter. I think I pulled out about 5-6 old insurance certificates this time.

Reactions: DieselDrax

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
So you change it out every 5-6 years? ;)

FWIW, my window sticker is a PDF on my computer, so I don't even have to get off my ass to read it.
Actually, I get a new insurance certificate every 6 months. Plus, they periodically send me something when anything with my insurance changes, so there are sometimes an extra certificate or 2 in the mix.

I think I have my window sticker as a PDF around here somewhere as well. I was extremely anal when it came to ordering my truck, so I may not remember the option code, but I know what I have.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did they? I know all Z71 trucks had the G80. I thought you could still get a 4WD without the G80. (You had to work real hard to do it, basically a WT or LT with 4WD, no tow package. )

@bratan - In 2016, they were still putting the build label in the glovebox. From some comments here, I think that is no longer the case, you have to scan some barcode and it will link you a build sheet for truck. In any event, if you look in the glovebox, the label should say:

G80 - Locking Differential
Z82 - Towing Package
I believe so I know for sure on the Canyons, could be different on the Colorado. But I know mine has the G80 but didn’t come with the factory tow package. I was confused as well with it having it or not but it’s on the window sticker and glove box code list.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts