Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife and I just bought a 2017 ZR2 and a 2017 Yukon Denali. We both like these vehicles, but we're pretty disappointed in the quality of the image from the stock GM backup camera. Admittedly, we're coming from a Mercedes and an Infiniti, so maybe we're being unreasonable. But the difference is noticeable and considerable. I'm assuming this is the same standard GM parts-bin item that comes on a Cruze and other lower models. I don't really care in my truck, but my wife would basically pay anything to get her old camera back. Has anyone looked into upgrading the camera to something more comparable to an Audi or MB camera?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Reactions: madcratebuilder

·
Registered
87 Posts
So my wife and I just bought a 2017 ZR2 and a 2017 Yukon Denali. We both like these vehicles, but we're pretty disappointed in the quality of the image from the stock GM backup camera. Admittedly, we're coming from a Mercedes and an Infiniti, so maybe we're being unreasonable. But the difference is noticeable and considerable. I'm assuming this is the same standard GM parts-bin item that comes on a Cruze and other lower models. I don't really care in my truck, but my wife would basically pay anything to get her old camera back. Has anyone looked into upgrading the camera to something more comparable to an Audi or MB camera?
I to am dissapointed with the rear camera, its useless @ night, and always seems to be dirty or covered with dirt.When I get home next week I'm going to take tailgate apart and see if camera can be retrofitted with a better quality unit, Wife's 2016 Mazda 6 Gt's rear camera is amazing compared to my Colorado

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

·
Registered
968 Posts
I to am dissapointed with the rear camera, its useless @ night, and always seems to be dirty or covered with dirt.When I get home next week I'm going to take tailgate apart and see if camera can be retrofitted with a better quality unit, Wife's 2016 Mazda 6 Gt's rear camera is amazing compared to my Colorado

Probably faster and easier to switch to a pair of super-bright LED backup lights...

Reactions: joMONgi and Joedude

·
Registered
968 Posts
MV10 have you does this,and does it make a marked improvement in nighttime visibility , Thanks Steve

Absolutely. I also switched to bright white license plate LEDs and they throw a lot of light too. (Switched everything to LED, actually.)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yep. I did the LED backup lights, too. "Yuuuge difference!" ;-)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Absolutely. I also switched to bright white license plate LEDs and they throw a lot of light too. (Switched everything to LED, actually.)
Thanks for input I'll try that first before camera upgrade,although I do feel rear camera was a cost cutting measure on Gm's part.Just my two cents Steve

·
Registered
748 Posts
I hung some LEDs from the back bumper to help with this. It really seems to help. Ill try to get some pics tonight if people are interested.

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
I think the Canyon OEM backup lights are much higher brighter than the Colorado lights. Works fine for me.

Biggest issue I have is when I back out of a cover at work, the sensor thinks I am in dark and dims the instrument panel while the camera has the sun shining on it, making it impossible to see.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
While I believe lighting plays a part, the cameras suck in daylight too. It's hard to complain about something that technically "works" as expected. But having driven cars with considerably higher-quality cameras, it's frustrating to back into your garage in an almost-$90k vehicle and realize you're looking at the exact same display that the 16yo neighbor kid is looking at in his Cruze. You could read a book using the backup camera in our Benz. I can barely make out the drain in our garage floor in the Yukon. I could care less on my Colorado, because frankly it's a pickup truck and I understand the price point. But the generic "parts bin" items on the Yukon are probably going to guarantee that it's the last GM product my wife will ever buy. Sadly.

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
If the quality of the backup camera is that important to you, then you should choose a truck that has the quality camera you want or need. The camera quality more than meets my needs. I once posted a picture I took with my phone showing the display where you could clearly read the letters to the sign in my camera view. I am looking for kids, walls, and other vehicles. Squirrels or birds are not so important to me.

I am thinking about turning the grid off because the lines of the grid line up with the ball of my hitch and make it more difficult to hook up the trailer.

My wife's Rogue is no better than my Canyon as far as I can tell but I do like the surround camera view.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
The camera is good enough to see people and cars, but it really is poor quality. My work vehicle is a '16 Ford Explorer, and the camera on that is very good quality. Very sharp and clear image. It is unfortunate GM cut this corner.

There is a thread on here somewhere though where someone replaced their stock camera with a better one. So yes, it can be done.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
The camera is good enough to see people acme cars, but it really is poor quality. My work vehicle is a '16 Ford Explorer, and the camera on that is very good quality. Very sharp and clear image. It is unfortunate GM cut this corner.

There is a thread on here somewhere though where someone replaced their stock camera with a better one. So yes, it can be done.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
What is the purpose of the camera?

Government's purpose: So drivers quit backing over kids.

General purpose: So we don't back in to anything, and boy is it easier to hook up a trailer on a truck.

I once watched a butterfly or a moth in my rear view camera. Sorry, I am not a biology major, don't know the difference and couldn't see the colors or make out the insect in the camera view well enough to describe it any better than a butterfly or moth. What the heck are you using your rear view camera for that needs a better view?

In any event, you got to test drive your truck. If the camera didn't meet your needs, you should have moved on to the next truck. I am sure the Nissan Frontier has a fine camera and the Honda Ridgeline can play stereophonic music from the bed while displaying the gnats gathering around your back up lights.

Reactions: Fasted58

·
Registered
982 Posts
I find the camera clear enough for me, I can spot everything, its great for downtown and using all the space available for parallel parking due to the high tailgate. The funny part, I had 2 different people in the truck while I was backing up, they were amazed that I was using my mirrors, and not only watching the screen. I'm still old school with new tech aid.

Reactions: CaryBosse

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
I find the camera clear enough for me, I can spot everything, its great for downtown and using all the space available for parallel parking due to the high tailgate. The funny part, I had 2 different people in the truck while I was backing up, they were amazed that I was using my mirrors, and not only watching the screen. I'm still old school with new tech aid.
My wife's Nissan Rogue has the surround cameras versus my Canyon with just rear view camera.

An Example I have noticed for how I drive the two vehicles differently, backing into a parking place.

With the Canyon, I check the rear view camera for obstructions, people, etc., then back in using the mirrors, old school. Line up with the lines in the parking space or the car next to me, as I get close, I go back to camera to make sure I don't back to far, but as far as possible so I am not sticking out.

With the Rogue, I start with the same rear check for obstructions, use the mirrors to get myself roughly lines up and to make sure nothing intrudes into my space. The Rogue also has an alert feature if someone walks or drives into the space I am backing toward, so if I hear the beep, I can check mirrors and cameras quickly for the issue. Once I have begun to enter the actual parking place, I switch the the cameras. The side view from the cameras the driver to perfectly line up the vehicle with the parking space lines.

The side view and front view cameras on the Rogue are so distorted, you guys would be filing a complaint with the NTHSA the first time you looked at a view. It's a tool to make driving safer, not the latest High Def video game.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I am thinking about turning the grid off because the lines of the grid line up with the ball of my hitch and make it more difficult to hook up the trailer.

I like the lines, once I realized the red means the space required for dropping the tailgate, very handy when backing up to a loading dock. I always thought a camera was a gimmick, until I got one on my jeep (no rear view with the spare) as well as being lifted. I appreciate it on the New Canyon, wasn't an issue with my 2010.

Reactions: OhioZR2

·
Registered
325 Posts
The rear can be one of the dirtiest places on any vehicle due to the low pressure area, trucks more likely. Clay barring is a good indication of the amount of dirt. The '16 Canyon seems to collect tailgate/ camera dirt faster than the '14 Silverado, may just be design placement and/ or airflow contributing but it is a dirt magnet. I find the rear cam to be ample for what it's supposed to do. Periodically wipe w/ a damp rag to keep it clean, not a deal breaker tho.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.