Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else tried to charge an iPhone 8 on the wireless charging pad built into the truck? Phone has charged on other wireless chargers that I have tried, but no luck in my Canyon or co-workers Sierra. The best I can do is get the charging light to illuminate yellow if I position the phone face up, top of the phone towards the shifter and the bottom of the phone towards the center console (which of course in the Canyon is not the correct orientation).

I understand the phone uses Qi wireless charging, and the owners manual mentions that it will charge Qi compatible mobile devices. Even though the phone charged through the case on other wireless chargers, I removed the case and tried again but had the same results.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Has anyone else tried to charge an iPhone 8 on the wireless charging pad built into the truck? Phone has charged on other wireless chargers that I have tried, but no luck in my Canyon or co-workers Sierra. The best I can do is get the charging light to illuminate yellow if I position the phone face up, top of the phone towards the shifter and the bottom of the phone towards the center console (which of course in the Canyon is not the correct orientation).

I understand the phone uses Qi wireless charging, and the owners manual mentions that it will charge Qi compatible mobile devices. Even though the phone charged through the case on other wireless chargers, I removed the case and tried again but had the same results.

Any suggestions?

I have been waiting feedback here and on the X when it arrives. From what I read it is supposed to work on most wireless chargers.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been waiting feedback here and on the X when it arrives. From what I read it is supposed to work on most wireless chargers.

Yeah no luck with my wife’s iPhone 8. I plan to get the X as well for myself, and probably won’t use the pad since I have to connect to usb for Car Play anyway, but would be nice as a backup anyway.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Yeah no luck with my wife’s iPhone 8. I plan to get the X as well for myself, and probably won’t use the pad since I have to connect to usb for Car Play anyway, but would be nice as a backup anyway.

I have a seven plus now and want the x so it will fit and have the larger screen. I still need to see if the x fits.

·
Registered
380 Posts

The battery life is so good on my iPhone 8 that the only charging it gets is plugged into Apple CarPlay on my 20 min commute to and from work. I’m on my phone pretty much constantly so that is staggering for me. My Galaxy S7 wouldn’t even make it through a day after charging all night and plugging it into the usb for android auto.

·
Registered
158 Posts
In addition to my Canyon we have a 2015 Yukon Denali with a wireless charging pad on the center armrest/storage compartment lid. We have Samsung phones and the wireless charging will only work if we take the phones out of our cases. Seems like a fairly weak wireless charging pad is embedded into these trucks. All of my wireless charging pads in my home and office can charge my phone with the case on.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have completed the wireless charger update for my 2017 Canyon Denali. The old charger module is P/N 23248791. The new charger (Qi) module is from various 2018 GM models and is P/N 13521066. I originally ordered the wiring harness from GM Trucks supplier pgamboa (Phil) but he is back ordered on parts for his harness until May, 2018.

I didn't want to wait that long so I ordered the new red plug (10) and some extra pins just in case from Mouser Electronics. The 2018 plug which fits the 2018 charger module is P/N 571-2035363-4 (.71) Mouser. I didn't need the pins. If you take the 2017 white plug and stick a small screwdriver into the pin front and release the tabs the pins with the wires can pull out the back side no issues.

The wires from the 2017 charger P/N 23248791 on the white plug with the red tab at 12 o'clock and the black charging pad upwards (left to right) #1 violet, #2 black, #3 green, #4 brown, #5 vacant, #6 vacant. However, for the new 2018 module using the new plug with the red release tab on the bottom @ 6 o'clock and the charging pad upwards, the wires are reversed. From left to right: #1 vacant, #2 vacant, #3 brown, #4 green, #5 black, #6 violet.

Some issues: The 2018 red plug has a wire keeper in the front (red) and a lock tab at the bottom (red). The rest of the plug is black. The wire keeper is supposed to snap flush with the front of the plug to secure the wires. I was unable get it to snap in place so I just left it off. The wires are going nowhere they're very difficult to pull out and the plug itself has a red locking tab at the bottom so its secure. Just a note.

You will be able to tell the (Qi) charger works with out a phone because the charging light stays illuminated light green with your headlights on. When it is charging, the light is dark green. I'm told there is an amber function but I haven't seen that yet. Hell, I don't have a phone that will charge in the new module!

Overall, the upgrade appears to be worth it. It's not a difficult procedure but some annoying plug disconnects and some minor modification to the module cover is needed. :wink2:

zoz

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.