Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced my iPhone 11 with an iPhone 13 Pro (not the Max). My iPhone 11 barely fit on the wireless pad in my 2020 Colorado, but it did indeed fit and had no issues charging when it was sitting there.

Since the iPhone 13 is a bit smaller, it also fits. However, if there is a case on it, I have the following issues...

It will show the green charging lightning bolt for a bit on the radio display, and then it will switch to a yellow lighting bolt after a random amount of time
OR, it will bounce back and forth from charging and not charging, as if you were setting on the charging pad and then removing it and then setting it back down again. It shows this on the phone screen, but not on the radio display.

I have tried this with a MagSafe case and with a non-Magsafe case and it seems to still be unpredictable. The only way that it will seem to charge normally is when there is no case on it at all...at least so far.

Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I know how to use a plug, but thanks for the advice. ;)

My point in asking is that I am trying to find out if this is a common issue with the iPhone 13 and the Colorado wireless charger, or if there is an issue with my phone, or if it is a compatibility issue.

·
Registered
318 Posts
honestly the iPhone 13s are so new you are probably the only one. Wireless charging is great but it can be very finicky. My guess would be the coils don't line up quite enough so the connection is intermittent. I have an 11 with a minimal case and the only wireless charging pad that works for my phone is one of these
Peripheral Gadget Audio equipment Electronic device Font

Even then I need to line up the coils nearly perfect or else my phone is just sitting on a disk

·
Registered
520 Posts
The wireless charger isn’t that great. I ditched mine and replaced the console with a non wireless charger version from a base model. Now I have a useful cubby for my wallet, earbuds, or work badge. So glad I made the change.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
honestly the iPhone 13s are so new you are probably the only one. Wireless charging is great but it can be very finicky. My guess would be the coils don't line up quite enough so the connection is intermittent. I have an 11 with a minimal case and the only wireless charging pad that works for my phone is one of these
I actually use that exact same disk charger on my desk, and the phone and case combo works fine on it, but it doesn't work well on a vertical version by the same company (Anker) on my nightstand. Weird.

Anyway, hopefully, this thread will serve as an answer to anyone who is having the same issue that I am. My Iphone 12 with an Otterbox case worked great all the time which is why I am confused about the 13 not working.

This isn't so much of a goal of fixing the problem, but more about understanding why the problem is happening. Some of you guys know exactly what I am talking about.

I think I am going to give up on the factory wireless charging anyway, because...

The wireless charger isn’t that great. I ditched mine and replaced the console with a non wireless charger version from a base model. Now I have a useful cubby for my wallet, earbuds, or work badge. So glad I made the change.
I think I saw a post about that and I think I am going to do the same. I'd like the useable space back anyway since the wireless charging doesn't work any more.

So for those who care...
I've been talking with a friend who is working on making it so we can upgrade to wireless CarPlay. If that's the case, I will try to figure out if I can tap into the power line going to the USB ports that run to the back seat USB ports on the backside of the center console, and put a wireless charging pad in the center console. If that can be done, I can hop in the truck, toss the phone in the center console, fire up Waze or whatever...and then all will be right in the world. ;);)

We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the thoughts, guys.

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
Some people have removed the charging unit that comes with the truck and installed one that they put in the Silverado as it works a lot better, I beleive it uses the same connectors

there is instructions in the how to section

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some people have removed the charging unit that comes with the truck and installed one that they put in the Silverado as it works a lot better, I beleive it uses the same connectors

there is instructions in the how to section
Thanks, I did see that. I believe it wouldn't apply to mine as I have a 2020 and I think it already has the newer charging module. Someone correct me if I am wrong...

·
Registered
2021 Z71 Midnight Edition
191 Posts
I have a 13pro and I found that the phone has to sit a certain way to get the coils to line up. Most of the time it works great, unless going over some bumps and the phone moves. Best position for me seems to be about 1/4" from the back driver side of the pad and the bottom of the phone flush along the edge. The phone actually sits crooked on the pad. This is with the top of the phone towards the passenger side. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I use a CPlay2Air device to wirelessly connect my Iphone 13 Pro to the Apple CarPlay, and put this charger https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Wirele...+Note+9+(No+AC+Adapter)&qid=1633767521&sr=8-8 in the cubby hole forward of the shifter to keep the phone charged, routing the cable back to the usb-a charging port behind the center console. When I get in the truck I just drop my phone on the charger, the phone connects wirelessly to the Apple CarPlay via the CPlay2Air device, and everything works great.
The only real problem I've encountered is forgetting my phone when I leave the truck as it is "out of sight, out of mind."

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
I use a CPlay2Air device to wirelessly connect my Iphone 13 Pro to the Apple CarPlay, and put this charger https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Wireless-Charger-PowerWave-Qi-Certified/dp/B07WV1J8QL/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=Anker+Wireless+Charger,+PowerWave+Base+Pad,+Qi-Certified,+7.5W+for+iPhone+11,+11+Pro,+11+Pro+Max,+X,+Xs,+Xr,+Xs+Max,+8,+8+Plus,+10W+for+Galaxy+S20+S10,+S9,+S8,+Note+10+Note+9+(No+AC+Adapter)&qid=1633767521&sr=8-8 in the cubby hole forward of the shifter to keep the phone charged, routing the cable back to the usb-a charging port behind the center console. When I get in the truck I just drop my phone on the charger, the phone connects wirelessly to the Apple CarPlay via the CPlay2Air device, and everything works great.
The only real problem I've encountered is forgetting my phone when I leave the truck as it is "out of sight, out of mind."

does it work with a case on the phone? where do you have that other device plugged in?

·
Registered
318 Posts
I use a CPlay2Air device to wirelessly connect my Iphone 13 Pro to the Apple CarPlay, and put this charger https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Wireless-Charger-PowerWave-Qi-Certified/dp/B07WV1J8QL/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=Anker+Wireless+Charger,+PowerWave+Base+Pad,+Qi-Certified,+7.5W+for+iPhone+11,+11+Pro,+11+Pro+Max,+X,+Xs,+Xr,+Xs+Max,+8,+8+Plus,+10W+for+Galaxy+S20+S10,+S9,+S8,+Note+10+Note+9+(No+AC+Adapter)&qid=1633767521&sr=8-8 in the cubby hole forward of the shifter to keep the phone charged, routing the cable back to the usb-a charging port behind the center console. When I get in the truck I just drop my phone on the charger, the phone connects wirelessly to the Apple CarPlay via the CPlay2Air device, and everything works great.
I really like this idea, and it isn't a terribly expensive one!

·
Registered
237 Posts
does it work with a case on the phone?
Yes
where do you have that other device plugged in?
The CPlay2Air device is plugged into the usb port you would typically plug your phone directly into in order to utilize Apple CarPlay. It's late now but I'll try and remember to get a pic tomorrow.

·
Registered
237 Posts
For those who might be interested, or just curious.....

Product Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Grey

The device velcroed to the top of the cubby is the CPlay2Air device, plugged into the usb-a port servicing CarPlay. I believe it's the only port that can be plugged into that accommodates CarPlay. The CPlay2Air allows for a wireless connection to CarPlay. From a sitting position you don't even see the CPlay2Air device.
Below is the Anker charger that I rest my phone on for charging purposes.
When I enter the truck I place my phone on the charger and it begins to charge, as well as connect to the CPlay2Air device.
I use an Encase case on my Iphone 13 Pro and have no problems.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.