Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for advise or words of wisdom! I have a 2005 Colorado LS, regular cab with the four cylinder engine. Late January another wonderful member of this Forum gave me advise regarding my fan motor switch. Getting only speeds 2 and 4 I changed the resistor and the blower motor resistor harness, used top quality parts and I now have all four speeds.

The problem is several times I have shut the vehicle off, when starting I have ZERO, HVAC controls? All three of the selectors are as if they didn't exist? Drive the truck for a bit and back everything comes? Air is extremely cold, I have all four speeds and the selector switch for air location works great too.

What's you opinion?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looking for advise or words of wisdom! I have a 2005 Colorado LS, regular cab with the four cylinder engine. Late January another wonderful member of this Forum gave me advise regarding my fan motor switch. Getting only speeds 2 and 4 I changed the resistor and the blower motor resistor harness, used top quality parts and I now have all four speeds.

The problem is several times I have shut the vehicle off, when starting I have ZERO, HVAC controls? All three of the selectors are as if they didn't exist? Drive the truck for a bit and back everything comes? Air is extremely cold, I have all four speeds and the selector switch for air location works great too.

What's you opinion?
Hello @Deputy347k9,

I think your blower motor is probably dying. The brushes might be worn out and are causing the intermittent behaviour. Did you observe that the motor starts or stops after hitting bumps on the road?

Best,

Winchyul

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
Blower won't kill the whole system. Just air blowing. Is there cold air seeping out at speed? Is there lights for a/c being on? I think you need a 12 volt test light and start checking. Could be that resistor again, or the connection up higher in the dash. Check for power and ground at the blower before you condemn it.
This will help:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First and foremost I thank our members for taking the time to respond to my vehicle issues. All the responses really help in chasing the issues. Unlike the Facebook Gen 1 Forum where so many added their thoughts, many good but also many that had me scratching my head!

White016
When the blower stops momentarily I can't definitely say I have felt any cold air seeping thru the vents? When the blower motor stops and comes back on all systems are a go. HAVAC control switch works on all four levels. It appears to happen more frequently than I recall. Entire issues has been going on for about two or three months.

January of 2021 I did replace the blower motor resistor and resistor harness, used an AC Delco resistor and an upgraded harness. I realize just because I replaced the resistor doesn't mean that's not the issue.

January I also took both "ground packs" apart (which were very clean) inspected and with a little cleaning reinstalled.

Winchyul
I think your blower motor is probably dying. The brushes might be worn out and are causing the intermittent behavior. Did you observe that the motor starts or stops after hitting bumps on the road?

That potential problem is on my list of areas to check. Only once was the blower motor off for about two miles, all other times it will shut off completely and come back on momentarily. Which also leads me to a definite ground problem.

Confident that I am dealing with a ground issue and as soon as it stops raining here in Coastal North Carolina I will be checking the following;

1. Blower motor ground behind the engine air filter housing. Even though it was found to be extremely clean in January, time to check again.
2. Will check out the new blower motor resistor and harness (Thank God I actually have another new setup just incase)
3. Another ground point behind the passenger kick panel.
4. Blower motor (which I have one of these also)

I will keep you folks updated on my findings, again I truly thank you for your input.
Larry

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just came in from disassembling, clean and reinstalling the passenger ground pack. Thankfully the blower motor ground is to this side as there are only 4 items in this particular pack. I found all connectors extremely clean and shiny. Even though I still went over all of them again. I even ran a 8 gauge ground wire from the battery directly to the passenger fender and attached it to the ground pack attaching bolt, of course I did use the wire brush on the drill to clean off the mounting bolt and the area where the bolt attaches to the fender. Going in town so I will see if I have any interruptions.

I removed the passenger sill plate and the passenger kick panel so I could take a gander at the ground that was mentioned in this area. Couldn't see the ground, couple other boxes mounted there. This evening I will take a closer look when checking the blower motor resistor, harness and motor.

I actually enjoy working on the Colorado, takes me three times longer because I have to continually clean as I go! LOL

Larry

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Worked all afternoon on the Colorado. For sure the body does not bend like it once did, OMG getting up under the dash for the blower motor, harness and resistor is time consuming. Not so bad getting down there but one hell of a job getting back up.

I found the original blower motor had a little noise when I would spin the assembly, this was the original that came with the elbow hose, which was changed in 2007. Anyways, I had a new OEM blower motor so I installed. When I install the new OEM resistor and harness last January I must have been a bit cold as my connections were OK at the best. So I removed everything and done that over also.

So far everything is a go. The over all work today was not all that bad, the one blower motor 5.5mm screw in the back passenger corner can be tricky. This morning when I added the 8 gauge ground wire from the battery to the passenger ground pack I forgot to plug in the mass air flow electrical connector when putting everything back together! Of course that popped an engine light! When in town I had O'reilly's remove the code.

I am up and running and praying the blower motor does NOT stumble anymore.

Larry

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Today I added about 75 miles and ZERO stumbles from the blower motor, fingers still crossed for sure! 2005 with 134,500 on the clock and this machine runs like a fine tuned watch! I honestly enjoy driving the Colorado. It's really giving my 2014 Camaro a rest!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's been about 20 days since I changed the original blower motor in my 2005 Colorado. The problem was that it occasionally stopped. Last night the wife and I got home from a round trip journey that resulted in about 1,200 miles. This truck ran like she just came of the show room floor, ZERO issues and no longer any stalls with the AC! Love my truck. Larry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts