Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help. I have had my crew cab Z71 for almost 2 weeks. A few days ago I started hear a squeak while driving. I can't seem to pinpoint it . My son thinks it is coming from the windows. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this or does anyone no what it could be. When I put the window down it doesn't sound like it is a outside noise. The noise only occurs if i hit a bump or it is a rough road.

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Is it possible it's coming from the steering wheel? I had an annoying squeak from mine that the dealer replaced and there have been a number of other members who have had noisy steering wheels. I think theres a TSB for the dealers to grease the airbag module now.

·
Premium Member
3,638 Posts
I had a similar squeak. Someone on this site mentioned the headliner not being completely clipped into place. I went in the back and slowly pushed up on the headliner around the dome light area and heard two clicks. The squeak was gone. This might be your problem.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I've got a light noise that just started from what I think is the rear crew cab door on the drivers side, but hard to pinpoint and only happens when driving on slightly rough road, smooth roads I hear nothing. Not sure if I want to remove the door panel and see if I can pinpoint it or have the dealer look into it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've got a light noise that just started from what I think is the rear crew cab door on the drivers side, but hard to pinpoint and only happens when driving on slightly rough road, smooth roads I hear nothing. Not sure if I want to remove the door panel and see if I can pinpoint it or have the dealer look into it.
I had a squeak from that area also. It was the latch mechanism for the rear seat on the back wall of the car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Agree with the latching mechanisms but even with the seats turned down it doesn't eliminate 100%. Trying to think of a solution but metal to metal rubbing is the issue.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Another location to try, the little card holder slot at the left side of the steering wheel. Mine was so annoying I just pulled the plastic piece completely off - squeak is gone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks JBT. Took my MacBook Air and was going to try every suggestion. Wouldn't you know that I pushed on headliner and I was able to hear 2 snaps. Took it for a test ride and I think (fingers crossed) that the problem is solved. THANKS AGAIN TO EVERYONE WHO POSTED SUGGESTIONS. This forum is a great resource to anyone who has a cool ass colorado/canyon.

·
Premium Member
3,638 Posts
Thanks JBT. Took my MacBook Air and was going to try every suggestion. Wouldn't you know that I pushed on headliner and I was able to hear 2 snaps. Took it for a test ride and I think (fingers crossed) that the problem is solved. THANKS AGAIN TO EVERYONE WHO POSTED SUGGESTIONS. This forum is a great resource to anyone who has a cool ass colorado/canyon.
A couple people here including me had this problem. Whats crazy is the squeak doesn't sound like it is coming from the roof. I first thought it was the leaf springs in the rear. But when I would open the window, the sound didn't get louder. Good luck, I hope this works. Also, you have a crew cab. I have an extended cab. You might have a couple more clips than me.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I had a squeak from that area also. It was the latch mechanism for the rear seat on the back wall of the car.
Unfortunately I don't think this is the latch, fairly certain it's in the rear door panel somewhere. Such a PITA to take it into the dealer for this issue, but at the same time it's under warranty and might as well have them waste a day trying to figure out where the noise is coming from.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Where did you do this at, back, sides of front of headliner and are you pressing at the edge or more in the center? I have the same exact noise only on heavier bumps on the road. Glad I found this post, I will give it try.

·
Premium Member
3,638 Posts
Where did you do this at, back, sides of front of headliner and are you pressing at the edge or more in the center? I have the same exact noise only on heavier bumps on the road. Glad I found this post, I will give it try.
I pressed up with my hands flat, palms up, about a half a foot, to a foot and a half around the back and sides of the dome light. Sitting in the back seat. You will definitely know when it clicks in place. I have an extended cab. I'm not sure if the clips are different for a crew cab. Good luck.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I pressed up with my hands flat, palms up, about a half a foot, to a foot and a half around the back and sides of the dome light. Sitting in the back seat. You will definitely know when it clicks in place. I have an extended cab. I'm not sure if the clips are different for a crew cab. Good luck.
I went out this morning and sure enough around the dome light I got things snapped into place, squeak gone. I guess the person on the assembly line forgot to finish this part or thought I wonder how long will it take for the owner or service dept to find this? Anyway this forum has some really great people who a wealth of knowledge and their tips and help are much appreciated. Thanks!!

Reactions: JBT

·
Premium Member
3,638 Posts
I went out this morning and did as you said, since I have crew cab I checked around the dome light and sure enough it snapped into place, squeak gone. Bet the person responsible either forgot or thought let's see how long before the owner finds it!! Thanks for the tip. This forum has some great people with a lot of knowledge and tips.
I'm glad this helped you. I can't take the credit for this. Another forum member talked about this problem which in turn helped me.Would you like me to delete one of your posts?

·
Premium Member
3,638 Posts
Maybe someone should notify GM about the LAZY! headliner installer and fire that person or persons? What do you think?

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'm glad this helped you. I can't take the credit for this. Another forum member talked about this problem which in turn helped me.Would you like me to delete one of your posts?
Yes, thanks, I must of hit enter twice, sorry.

·
Registered
435 Posts
You know that every manufacturer has the same kind of issues with workers not doing their part at times, I had a 94 Thunderbird that we bought new for my wife and it had nasty water leaks coming in the passenger side, turned out the person on that side of the car wasn't there when it came time to apply seam sealer and everything on that side leaked they had to tear car apart on passenger side to correct which they did and never had another problem. You just have wonder sometimes.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I've been into the dealer for 3 rattle issues.

The dealer said that it's because i run my Bass too loud.

Then I replied with "you can't sell me a BOSE if I can't use a BOSE, bro".

problem has been fixed for now, but these plastic parts are not the highest quality apparently

·
Registered
33 Posts
Another happy camper here. :)
I'd been hearing a tapping sound around the top of the drivers window whenever I went over bumps.
I noticed when I pushed up on the headliner it stopped.
It was driving me nuts and I was planning on taking it up with the dealer at my first oil change.
Then I noticed this thread so I went out and pushed up on the headliner around the middle and sure enough heard a click like something snapped into place.
Took it out for a drive and the tapping sound is now gone!
It's a 2016 Canyon Extended Cab, May build date.
Thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well I have a squeak/ rattle in my drivers side door, passenger front door near speaker while listening too anything with bass. Rattle in the dash somewhere and sometimes coming from the steering wheel. Dealer can't seem to fix any of them.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts