Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Does anybody have any thoughts on JDM ASTAR LED bulbs....like the 3014 SMD 194, or the 5730 6-SMD 194 bulbs??? I am looking for a more lumen bulb for my map lights and less output for the front dome and rear dome/map lights

The 5730 6 SMD will be quite bright . . way brighter than the 194 stock bulb. So for the map lights would be good.
IF you want LESS light for the Dome Lts, the a 5 SMD 5050 chip LED would be less light than the 5730.
You can also try a trick I've used and that is use a permanent felt tip marker of any color. . . black, blue, red, whatever if you wish, and use it on the top mounted SMD of the 194 LED to dim down the light output. That SMD will be the one facing downward when mounted in the dome lights.

www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-ASTAR-10x-White-T10-Wedge-5050-5-SMD-6000K-12V-LED-Lights-Bulb-194-168-2825/232565999088?hash=item36260385f0:g:tKsAAOSw1DtXGGPj:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just installed these as my interior and license plate lights. Work great. I put all LED's in my 2000 GMC Sierra and I love them. I'll eventually change all the lights in my Colorado over to LED's

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JRE38EA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this thread for the insights and product links. I ended up getting new 194 LED lights for the dome light, all 4 map lights, the 2 license plate lights (needed 7 total) and replaced all (4 total) 30mm vanity lights with LEDs. Total cost of under $25 from random amazon sellers (not diode dynamics) and makes the truck feel a lot newer. Took about 15 minutes to do all the replacements and I confirmed no interference with lock/unlock as others had reported. Thanks all!

194 bulbs: https://www.amazon.com/SiriusLED-Extremely-Chipset-Interior-Courtesy/dp/B0186P1MUW

30mm bulbs:
https://www.amazon.com/Audak-Festoon-Interior-Courtesy-License/dp/B076QBMRL1

Attachments

·
Registered
325 Posts
Kind of a discouraging thread but glad I read. Last thing I want is "issues". From previous knowledge of the "issues" with vehicle systems integration and switching from an incandescent system to an LED my first thought is; Current draw. LEDs have much less, my bets are this is what is causing problems with the vehicle's system parameters. Vehicle sensors in the BCM set to detect incandescent current drop do not see the much smaller drops associated with LED.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Kind of a discouraging thread but glad I read. Last thing I want is "issues". From previous knowledge of the "issues" with vehicle systems integration and switching from an incandescent system to an LED my first thought is; Current draw. LEDs have much less, my bets are this is what is causing problems with the vehicle's system parameters. Vehicle sensors in the BCM set to detect incandescent current drop do not see the much smaller drops associated with LED.
You are basing that assumption on what one person reported. To make that more suspect, it was his dealership that blamed an issue on an aftermarket part. That is always the dealer first go to after "working as designed" or "could not duplicate" doesn't satisfy the customer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
325 Posts
You are basing that assumption on what one person reported. To make that more suspect, it was his dealership that blamed an issue on an aftermarket part. That is always the dealer first go to after "working as designed" or "could not duplicate" doesn't satisfy the customer.

No that is incorrect. I have based my thoughts on this from a few different situations where replacing incandescent lights with LED has caused issues in modern computer controlled vehicles/systems. Even if you just read this thread there are more than one instance of people reporting issues or having to change the setting of the lights to off to get the remote to work properly.

What good are the upgraded LEDs if you have to switch the lights off to get your remote to work? Some seem to not be having issues and this is good, I'm glad because I would like to have the LEDs and no problems too.

·
Registered
487 Posts
No that is incorrect. I have based my thoughts on this from a few different situations where replacing incandescent lights with LED has caused issues in modern computer controlled vehicles/systems. Even if you just read this thread there are more than one instance of people reporting issues or having to change the setting of the lights to off to get the remote to work properly.

What good are the upgraded LEDs if you have to switch the lights off to get your remote to work? Some seem to not be having issues and this is good, I'm glad because I would like to have the LEDs and no problems too.
You don't have to turn off your lights. One person had an issue. He brought it to his dealer who blamed it on the only aftermarket component they could tie it to.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts

I went to Diode Dynamics bought a full set of interior LED bulbs from Mike, came home and installed them,have not had one issue in over 7 months. Wife liked them so much I went back to DD and Mike sold me a set for her Jeep, intalled them and do problems with it either

·
Registered
3,066 Posts

I went to Diode Dynamics bought a full set of interior LED bulbs from Mike, came home and installed them,have not had one issue in over 7 months. Wife liked them so much I went back to DD and Mike sold me a set for her Jeep, installed them and no problems with it either

·
Registered
471 Posts
I went to Diode Dynamics bought a full set of interior LED bulbs from Mike, came home and installed them,have not had one issue in over 7 months. Wife liked them so much I went back to DD and Mike sold me a set for her Jeep, intalled them and do problems with it either
X2

No issues with full LEDs all from DD since Aug 2018.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Maybe frequency was the wrong word to use but the fact still remains that these bulbs interfere with the operation of the remote on my truck. When I turn them off the remote works perfectly so there must be some sort of interference or something from these bulbs that affects the remote signal, I don't know. When I told the dealer of this problem the first thing they asked me, after looking up the problem, was did I have LED interior light bulbs in my truck. I don't care if you don't believe that this is happening (or can't possibly happen because of your many years of electrical technical consulting and knowing everything about LED bulbs) with the use of the DD LED interior bulbs in my truck. It is what it is and if you want to wrap yourself up in your 30+ years of electrical consulting experience, maybe you can figure it out....just because you don't have any problems like this with your truck means very little to me because your truck isn't my truck.
Nope, not bogus. Picked them up from Diode Dynamics. I found out by going to the dealer with the problem and they told me it was a bulletin to them from GM that aftermarket LED interior lights "may" cause issues with the remote lock and unlock. It's not that the remote doesn't work,, it's when you push the button for the first time to lock the truck, the interior lights are still on so when you push it a second time there is a bit of a delay for the horn to go off. It works the same way unlocking the truck as well, when you push the button once to unlock the truck only the drivers door unlocks and when you push it a second time to unlock all the doors there is a delay. There are other members on here who have had the same issue but it seems to be a problem, according to GM, for the late 2017 and 2018 trucks. I just leave the interior lights off and everything works fine.
I have had the same remote interference issue. Turned off the interior lights and no problem. But I have also noticed that the radio reception is crap. I have the DD LED low and high along with the switchbacks in the turns with the Gen5 hookup to make them the DRL instead of the headlights. Radio reception in the lower frequencies gets hammered by the LEDs running. If I turn all the lights off the radio reception is fine. It is so bad I use TuneIn Radio on my phone to get the local public radio radio station (89.5 on the dial)... Not an electrical engineer but my seat of the pants and multiple real world tests I am 100% certain it is the LED lights causing the interference. Not sure what would cause the interference, but I can assure you in my truck, 2018 ZR2 DMax, that it happens.
I can confirm I am having the same issues with the remote after installing DD Leds. It is being incorrectly referred to as a delay. It is not a delay.

It is caused by the DOME lights. If you turn off your dome lights, the remote functions correctly. If you turn your dome lights to "always on", your remote will function correctly.

It only happens during the dimming or brightening stage of the dome lights. If you press your remote lock or unlock, during either of those stages, it won't work. It's only for a second. And there is a portion at the end of the dimming where the remote will work. So it is only for about 90% of the dimming stage.
You don't have to turn off your lights. One person had an issue. He brought it to his dealer who blamed it on the only aftermarket component they could tie it to.

Seems like a few more than one have had an issue. You must not have read the thread.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased Diode Dynamics LED's to replace all the interior bulbs. Immediately I saw an issue with using the key fob to lock and unlock the doors. It would take 3 to 4 keystrokes to lock the doors. I put the factory bulbs back and it instantly started working normally. Just to verify it was the LED's I put them back in and the issue came back up. I contacted DD about the issue and even linked this thread. They said they were not aware of this issue but offered me a refund. I know they make good products but I guess I have the one of the few trucks out there that has issues with using LED's.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I've replaced the interior dome, map and footwell lights on two 2017 and one 2015 (5 years ago) GM vehicle with LEDs from off Amazon and Ebay and have not experienced any problems of any Key Fob problems. On my Colorado, the key fob remote will operate the door locks at least 60 feet or more away. The other day, I was walking into a store with wife and wanted to make sure I locked the doors and I saw the tailights flash and horn beep and we were over 150 feet away.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Swapped interior bulbs on my 2018 last year w/ zero issues...even had GM install remote start & everything still works perfectly. Guess some owners aren't so lucky...??

·
Registered
201 Posts
It only happens during the dimming or brightening stage of the dome lights. If you press your remote lock or unlock, during either of those stages, it won't work. It's only for a second. And there is a portion at the end of the dimming where the remote will work. So it is only for about 90% of the dimming stage.
That's exactly what I see on my 2019. The doors will lock immediately upon closing the door and pushing the lock button on the remote, but it will not chirp the horn and set the alarm until the dome light turns off. You also have to wait a couple seconds between button pushes if you want to unlock all the doors.

I have DD LEDs in the front and rear dome lights and the map lights. The dome light dims to a point and then turns off rather than fading out light stock. That's not a big deal for me.

Vanity lights are Amazon.

If I turn the dome lights off so they don't come on automatically the remote functions normally. It is not a huge issue but it is definitely directly related to the LED dome light.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
244 Posts
It is not a huge issue but it is definitely directly related to the LED dome light.

Thanks for reminding me about this. I need to call Diode Dynamics to have them refund my money for the dome lights. It's not just directly related to the LED dome light, but more so the Diode Dynamics LED dome light. I used some cheap ones from Walmart and they do not interfere with the remote.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have used JDM led's in my interior and just ordered the bulbs for the vanity lights to finish off the interior. I have had zero issues since installing them 2 years ago. I also installed JDM bulbs in backup, license plate, and cargo lights, they work perfectly with no issues at all.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am looking for ideas to replace my stock interior map lights and Dome lights with LED's? What has everyone done? I have a 2018 Colorado. Thanks!
I am just getting around to doing the 'light thing'. From my research and advice from this site, I believe DD has an excellent portfolio of Colorado replacements/upfits. I just redid the interior with a white dome and two red map lights up front and one red and one white in the rear along with the vanities and the plate lights. My next changeout will to change the DRLs from the low beams to the parking lights and do them using switch-back LEDs. I think I will use a custom wiring harness from Gen5DIY as I saw nothing about this mod on DD. Later I will also do the tail, headlamps and fogs using DD. Otherwise, I am happy with the truck as it is. The off-roading I do going to trailheads doesn't require lifts or the other seemingly popular mods I see on this site and for me the motor is just fine as stock.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did the diode dynamics blue leds in my 18 baby max. Both domes and map lights. I’ll get a picture of them tonight. Looks dope AF. My opinion. :cool:

·
Registered
201 Posts
It's not just directly related to the LED dome light, but more so the Diode Dynamics LED dome light.
I just confirmed your theory. I wanted a white, but not super bright LED, and based on reviews the Sylvania ones seemed to fit my need. Ordered from Amazon and just installed them in the center position in the front and both sides in the back. The remote works just like it should.

I still have a very bright DD in the driver's side map light and a red DD in the passenger side map light but they don't seem to interfere with anything once the engine is running.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts