Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
LED "Frequncies"? What does that mean? Electronics technical consultant here for +30 years. A 12V 194 LED replacement bulb should not make use of any "frequencies". That would imply some sort of inverter power supply which a simple 194 LED would not have.

Plus. . it is up to an aftermarket company to research, develop, make and sell a product that does not cause any malfunction in the vehicles it is sold for. . . At least, that is standard industry practice if not a good business practice.

I just checked again and my 2017 Colorado LT CCSB has no remote control "delay" or any other anomaly caused by even the low cost generic 194 type bulbs I use in three GM vehicles including two 2017 models.

Just surprising DD did not seem to do their homework on this since they seem to have such good quality other products.

I've used 194 bulbs like the ones below in both non CANBUS and CANBUS iterations. The CANBUS type LEDs are obvious in that they will have resistors and/or associated electronic devices usually present on the bulb as the second picture shows. Some LED makers shroud the bulb packaging resistors are not apparent.

Maybe frequency was the wrong word to use but the fact still remains that these bulbs interfere with the operation of the remote on my truck. When I turn them off the remote works perfectly so there must be some sort of interference or something from these bulbs that affects the remote signal, I don't know. When I told the dealer of this problem the first thing they asked me, after looking up the problem, was did I have LED interior light bulbs in my truck. I don't care if you don't believe that this is happening (or can't possibly happen because of your many years of electrical technical consulting and knowing everything about LED bulbs) with the use of the DD LED interior bulbs in my truck. It is what it is and if you want to wrap yourself up in your 30+ years of electrical consulting experience, maybe you can figure it out....just because you don't have any problems like this with your truck means very little to me because your truck isn't my truck.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Sorry . .. not saying I don't believe that the DD LEDs are the cause of the problem. Just saying that many other do not have it. And, it would be misinformation to say across the board that replacing interior bulbs with LEDS would cause this problem for all owners.

It would be interesting to see if it occurs with generic LEDs or just the ones you purchased. Or, replace with the original stock bulbs and try on pair of LEDs at a time starting with maybe one set of dome lights.
It may be a change in BCM operation in the truck as you mentioned later models seem to have the issue sometimes later in +2017.

Wonder if GM has done something to discourage use of aftermarket interior LEDs? Either way .. . good for owners to be aware of it so good that this was mentioned by you.

Maybe frequency was the wrong word to use but the fact still remains that these bulbs interfere with the operation of the remote on my truck. When I turn them off the remote works perfectly so there must be some sort of interference or something from these bulbs that affects the remote signal, I don't know. When I told the dealer of this problem the first thing they asked me, after looking up the problem, was did I have LED interior light bulbs in my truck. .

·
Registered
471 Posts
Sorry . .. not saying I don't believe that the DD LEDs are the cause of the problem. Just saying that many other do not have it. And, it would be misinformation to say across the board that replacing interior bulbs with LEDS would cause this problem for all owners.

It would be interesting to see if it occurs with generic LEDs or just the ones you purchased. Or, replace with the original stock bulbs and try on pair of LEDs at a time starting with maybe one set of dome lights.
It may be a change in BCM operation in the truck as you mentioned later models seem to have the issue sometimes later in +2017.

Wonder if GM has done something to discourage use of aftermarket interior LEDs? Either way .. . good for owners to be aware of it so good that this was mentioned by you.
2018 ZR2 build date of 6/2018......
100% Diode Dynamics LEDs interior and exterior..........zero issues, work beautifully.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Hmm . .. so not apparently some across the board change and not the DD LEDs necessarily.
Well, just good to know it someone has an issue.

I know GMC indicates that LEDs in back up lights may cause an issue in some vehicles.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Hmm . .. so not apparently some across the board change and not the DD LEDs necessarily.
Well, just good to know it someone has an issue.

I know GMC indicates that LEDs in back up lights may cause an issue in some vehicles.

Yeah, this is so bizarre to me that this only happens in certain trucks and not all trucks. There are other members on this forum that have had the same issues as me. I wonder if it might have something to do with the options you have on your truck. Different options may give the BCM different programming and maybe some of that programming has something to do with my problem. As I mentioned, when I went to the dealer it didn't take them long to know what was going on, so GM is aware and maybe like you mentioned, could be the reason why they don't offer LED interior/exterior lights on some model's of their vehicles. It's the $64,000 question.

·
ColoradoFans.com Site Sponsors
503 Posts
Hey Jacqson,

Thanks for all the feedback and information. I forwarded this thread to our general manager and engineering team, and am told they're investigating solutions as we speak. Like you said, it's not on all vehicles, but we want to ensure this doesn't happen, period. In the meantime, we'd be more than happy to arrange a return or exchange. Also, I want to apologize for the hassle and inconvenience this might be causing you. We take a great deal of pride in offering plug-and-play upgrades, and this clearly wasn't the case here.

Let me know if we need to arrange a return or exchange, and I'll be happy to coordinate that.

Thank you again,

Jake H.
Diode Dynamics

·
Registered
952 Posts
Hey Jacqson,

Thanks for all the feedback and information. I forwarded this thread to our general manager and engineering team, and am told they're investigating solutions as we speak. Like you said, it's not on all vehicles, but we want to ensure this doesn't happen, period. In the meantime, we'd be more than happy to arrange a return or exchange. Also, I want to apologize for the hassle and inconvenience this might be causing you. We take a great deal of pride in offering plug-and-play upgrades, and this clearly wasn't the case here.

Let me know if we need to arrange a return or exchange, and I'll be happy to coordinate that.

Thank you again,

Jake H.
Diode Dynamics

Thanks for reaching out Jake and there is no need to apologize. If you guys think you have a solution for this issue, I'm all ears, however I'm thinking that this problem is more on GM than you because when I went to them about this issue they told me certain trucks are having some problems with LED interior/exterior lights, but wouldn't elaborate any further.
Personally, I can't see how an LED light bulb can interfere with a vehicles remote signal, but it happened to me, so I guess it's possible.
That said, I'll wait to see if you guys come up with a solution and if it happens to be the bulbs that I have, then I can decide what to do from there. Thanks again...and please stay in touch.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hey Jake. So Im actually thinking of getting the DD interior bulbs. and if I get these and install them and encounter these issues that some have had would it be safe to say that I could contact DD for a refund of my purchase price?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
hey

Hey Jacqson,

Thank you again,

Jake H.
Diode Dynamics
Hey Jake. So Im actually thinking of getting the DD interior bulbs. and if I get these and install them and encounter these issues that some have had would it be safe to say that I could contact DD for a refund of my purchase price?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got almost all of my interior LEDs from the local Autozone, the worked fine and even dimmed after locking like the regular bulbs. I had to order the vanity mirror bulbs off Amazon though. The ones that Autozone, O'Reilly Auto Parts, and Advanced have are all the same ones, all Sylvania bulbs, I have zero complaints about them.

·
ColoradoFans.com Site Sponsors
503 Posts
That's right. We stand behind everything we offer for 3 years. So, if you were to experience any kind of issue, our service team would gladly get it corrected.

Jake H.
Diode Dynamics

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
That's right. We stand behind everything we offer for 3 years. So, if you were to experience any kind of issue, our service team would gladly get it corrected.

Jake H.
Diode Dynamics
No problem! Definitely shoot us a PM and I'll get you the free shipping code!

Jake H.
Diode Dynamics
Done! Thanks Jake!

·
Registered
4 Posts
LED and radio reception

I have had the same remote interference issue. Turned off the interior lights and no problem. But I have also noticed that the radio reception is crap. I have the DD LED low and high along with the switchbacks in the turns with the Gen5 hookup to make them the DRL instead of the headlights. Radio reception in the lower frequencies gets hammered by the LEDs running. If I turn all the lights off the radio reception is fine. It is so bad I use TuneIn Radio on my phone to get the local public radio radio station (89.5 on the dial)... Not an electrical engineer but my seat of the pants and multiple real world tests I am 100% certain it is the LED lights causing the interference. Not sure what would cause the interference, but I can assure you in my truck, 2018 ZR2 DMax, that it happens.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had the same remote interference issue. Turned off the interior lights and no problem. But I have also noticed that the radio reception is crap. I have the DD LED low and high along with the switchbacks in the turns with the Gen5 hookup to make them the DRL instead of the headlights. Radio reception in the lower frequencies gets hammered by the LEDs running. If I turn all the lights off the radio reception is fine. It is so bad I use TuneIn Radio on my phone to get the local public radio radio station (89.5 on the dial)... Not an electrical engineer but my seat of the pants and multiple real world tests I am 100% certain it is the LED lights causing the interference. Not sure what would cause the interference, but I can assure you in my truck, 2018 ZR2 DMax, that it happens.
Which LED's are you running?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I just ordered all the interior LED's from DD. Went ahead and got taillight and license as well. I will report back any issues after install.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I can confirm I am having the same issues with the remote after installing DD Leds. It is being incorrectly referred to as a delay. It is not a delay.

It is caused by the DOME lights. If you turn off your dome lights, the remote functions correctly. If you turn your dome lights to "always on", your remote will function correctly.

It only happens during the dimming or brightening stage of the dome lights. If you press your remote lock or unlock, during either of those stages, it won't work. It's only for a second. And there is a portion at the end of the dimming where the remote will work. So it is only for about 90% of the dimming stage.

·
Registered
375 Posts
LED's can affect transmitters. No problem in my truck, but I installed LED Lights in my garage door openers and the opener transmitters would not work anymore. Pulled them and put the spiral CFC lights back in and they work fine. I have not had any problem with bulbs in my trucks though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Does anybody have any thoughts on JDM ASTAR LED bulbs....like the 3014 SMD 194, or the 5730 6-SMD 194 bulbs??? I am looking for a more lumen bulb for my map lights and less output for the front dome and rear dome/map lights

21 - 40 of 63 Posts