Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking for ideas to replace my stock interior map lights and Dome lights with LED's? What has everyone done? I have a 2018 Colorado. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Bought the 194 LED's for my 2009 Mustang fm Diode Dynamics, but they weren't working as planned. Ended up swapping out quite a few in my new/2018 Colorado so t least it wasn't a total wash. :D

·
Registered
471 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
I used these very white and brite.
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Yorkim-Generation-Universal-10-Interior/dp/B00JRE38EA[/ame]

·
Registered
952 Posts
LED interior bulbs can affect your remote signal when it comes to locking and unlocking your doors. I'm not sure whether it affects the remote start as I've never tried it, but they definitely, at least in my truck, affect the locking and unlocking of the doors.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Wow. . that sounds like you bought some bogus LEDs if this is true.
I have all LED interior lights and back up LEDs in my truck since March 2017. Also have the same in another 2017 GM car and 2015 SUV. Never had ANY remote door unlock issues nor remote start problem caused by the use of LEDs.
And I purchased several types all off Amazon or Ebay over the past 3 years.
? QUESTION ? - How did you verify it is the LEDs causing the issue? Why not send them back and buy different ones if you think they cause an issue. . . (though I can not really see how they would ).

LED interior bulbs can affect your remote signal when it comes to locking and unlocking your doors. I'm not sure whether it affects the remote start as I've never tried it, but they definitely, at least in my truck, affect the locking and unlocking of the doors.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Wow. . that sounds like you bought some bogus LEDs if this is true.
I have all LED interior lights and back up LEDs in my truck since March 2017. Also have the same in another 2017 GM car and 2015 SUV. Never had ANY remote door unlock issues nor remote start problem caused by the use of LEDs.
And I purchased several types all off Amazon or Ebay over the past 3 years.
? QUESTION ? - How did you verify it is the LEDs causing the issue? Why not send them back and buy different ones if you think they cause an issue. . . (though I can not really see how they would ).

Nope, not bogus. Picked them up from Diode Dynamics. I found out by going to the dealer with the problem and they told me it was a bulletin to them from GM that aftermarket LED interior lights "may" cause issues with the remote lock and unlock. It's not that the remote doesn't work,, it's when you push the button for the first time to lock the truck, the interior lights are still on so when you push it a second time there is a bit of a delay for the horn to go off. It works the same way unlocking the truck as well, when you push the button once to unlock the truck only the drivers door unlocks and when you push it a second time to unlock all the doors there is a delay. There are other members on here who have had the same issue but it seems to be a problem, according to GM, for the late 2017 and 2018 trucks. I just leave the interior lights off and everything works fine.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Nope, not bogus. Picked them up from Diode Dynamics. I found out by going to the dealer with the problem and they told me it was a bulletin to them from GM that aftermarket LED interior lights "may" cause issues with the remote lock and unlock. It's not that the remote doesn't work,, it's when you push the button for the first time to lock the truck, the interior lights are still on so when you push it a second time there is a bit of a delay for the horn to go off. It works the same way unlocking the truck as well, when you push the button once to unlock the truck only the drivers door unlocks and when you push it a second time to unlock all the doors there is a delay. There are other members on here who have had the same issue but it seems to be a problem, according to GM, for the late 2017 and 2018 trucks. I just leave the interior lights off and everything works fine.
My ZR2 is 100% Diode Dynamics LED bulbs and zero issues here.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
who has the horn honk when you lock the truck? that is so annoying to others around you, who knows who you may startle in a parking lot by doing that.

I lived in an apartment complex years ago, that did not allow this.

Oh, sorry about the tanget, all my interior lights I bought from Diode Dynamics

·
Registered
471 Posts
Thanks! I will prob go with these Diode Dynamics. Which bulbs did you go with for your truck? SMD2's, HP3's, or HP5's?
Depends on the location........mixed it up depending on what I wanted in certain areas.
That's what I like about Diode Dynamics, they offer multiple choices and colors per location.
The only slight pain were the resistors for the front/rear turn signals.

Zero issues with installation and operation....

·
Registered
471 Posts
Which bulbs are you using in the interior, SMD2's, HP3's or HP5's?
As I mentioned above I mixed them up as to their specific use......
At this point I have all interior and exterior lighting changed over to LEDs.....including headlights, tail lights, turn signals, and cargo lighting.
Here was my interior LED order:

Vanity Light LEDs for 2015-2018 Chevrolet Colorado (four)
Color
Cool White
Bulb Model
SMF2 (24 lumens)
DD0049Q
$20.00
Ordered 1
Shipped 1
$20.00

Front Map Light LEDs for 2015-2018 Chevrolet Colorado (pair)
Color
Cool White
Bulb Model
HP3 (56 lumens)
DD0024P
$12.00
Ordered 1
Shipped 1
$12.00

Front Dome Light LED for 2015-2018 Chevrolet Colorado
Color
Cool White
Bulb Model
HP5 (92 lumens)
DD0031S
$10.00
Ordered 1
Shipped 1
$10.00

Rear Map Light LEDs for 2015-2018 Chevrolet Colorado (pair)
Color
Cool White
Bulb Model
HP3 (56 lumens)
DD0024P
$12.00
Ordered 1
Shipped 1
$12.00

·
Registered
952 Posts
As I mentioned above I mixed them up as to their specific use......
At this point I have all interior and exterior lighting changed over to LEDs.....including headlights, tail lights, turn signals, and cargo lighting.
Here was my interior LED order:

Vanity Light LEDs for 2015-2018 Chevrolet Colorado (four)
Color
Cool White
Bulb Model
SMF2 (24 lumens)
DD0049Q
$20.00
Ordered 1
Shipped 1
$20.00

Front Map Light LEDs for 2015-2018 Chevrolet Colorado (pair)
Color
Cool White
Bulb Model
HP3 (56 lumens)
DD0024P
$12.00
Ordered 1
Shipped 1
$12.00

Front Dome Light LED for 2015-2018 Chevrolet Colorado
Color
Cool White
Bulb Model
HP5 (92 lumens)
DD0031S
$10.00
Ordered 1
Shipped 1
$10.00

Rear Map Light LEDs for 2015-2018 Chevrolet Colorado (pair)
Color
Cool White
Bulb Model
HP3 (56 lumens)
DD0024P
$12.00
Ordered 1
Shipped 1
$12.00

All my interior bulbs are HP5's(92 Lumens), now whether that makes a difference, I don't know, but I do know I'm not the only one who has had this issue. Also, this is no slight on DD as I think they make great products and it really isn't their fault that GM makes a remote that has problems with DD's LED light bulb frequencies.

·
Registered
29 Posts
who has the horn honk when you lock the truck? that is so annoying to others around you, who knows who you may startle in a parking lot by doing that.

I lived in an apartment complex years ago, that did not allow this.

Oh, sorry about the tanget, all my interior lights I bought from Diode Dynamics
You can turn that off through the settings menu on the radio. I forget what option it is, but I did it to mine which is a 2018.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
All my interior bulbs are HP5's(92 Lumens), now whether that makes a difference, I don't know, but I do know I'm not the only one who has had this issue. Also, this is no slight on DD as I think they make great products and it really isn't their fault that GM makes a remote that has problems with DD's LED light bulb frequencies.

LED "Frequncies"? What does that mean? Electronics technical consultant here for +30 years. A 12V 194 LED replacement bulb should not make use of any "frequencies". That would imply some sort of inverter power supply which a simple 194 LED would not have.

Plus. . it is up to an aftermarket company to research, develop, make and sell a product that does not cause any malfunction in the vehicles it is sold for. . . At least, that is standard industry practice if not a good business practice.

I just checked again and my 2017 Colorado LT CCSB has no remote control "delay" or any other anomaly caused by even the low cost generic 194 type bulbs I use in three GM vehicles including two 2017 models.

Just surprising DD did not seem to do their homework on this since they seem to have such good quality other products.

I've used 194 bulbs like the ones below in both non CANBUS and CANBUS iterations. The CANBUS type LEDs are obvious in that they will have resistors and/or associated electronic devices usually present on the bulb as the second picture shows. Some LED makers shroud the bulb packaging resistors are not apparent.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts