Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
All Z71s have the tow package and G80.

All diesel equipped Colorado/Canyons come with the tow package and G80.
No they dont. They all come with the G80 locker, but the tow package is optional. Thats how I got mine as I needed a different tow hitch than the one GM was using.....saved about $300 doing it on my own with an aftermarket hitch and wiring kit. Took about an hour to install.

·
Super Moderator
3,562 Posts
No they dont. They all come with the G80 locker, but the tow package is optional. Thats how I got mine as I needed a different tow hitch than the one GM was using.....saved about $300 doing it on my own with an aftermarket hitch and wiring kit. Took about an hour to install.
Interesting. I thought the tow package and G80 were packaged as 1 unit for the Z71. I know the Canyon can have the G80 but not the tow package in SLE form because that's how my work truck came. Thanks for the correction!

·
Registered
165 Posts
When you test drive, pay close attention to the temperature regulation of the A/C. Many people don't have problems, but for those that do, it is major, with essentially no fix known.

·
Registered
25 Posts
First off, I am with you on enjoying researching vehicle purchases as much as actually buying and owning. The thrill is in the hunt! Also like you, I enjoy driving diesels. My previous vehicle was a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD (Mercedes Benz diesel), which was my first experience with a diesel. I loved it, and I now love my Colorado Duramax.

As others have pointed out, the up-front cost on the diesel will set you back (besides the additional cost of diesel fuel, at least currently--that seems to change year to year and by location). I tow a 22' travel trailer, so I really wanted the additional torque and towing capacity of the diesel, even though I realize that my towing miles only account for maybe 20% of total miles driven. I've done enough towing over the years with marginally-adequate tow vehicles to make me want to spend the extra cash for one that is better equipped for towing.

I just got back from a 2,000+ mile trip towing our trailer (weighs 4,000 lbs dry). Averaged 13 mpg, but I was going about 70 mph most of the trip. I'm pretty sure I could get 15 mpg if I kept the speed around 60 mph or so. Without the camper behind it, I've gotten 31 mpg on the highway driving I-70 in the mountains of Colorado. Pretty impressive.

That said, I think you'll have a hard time finding a used diesel in your price range, unless it's got six-figure miles. I bought mine earlier this year used (2018) with about 7,500 miles on it. Paid about $32,000. It's hard to find them for much under $28,000, and that's with over 50,000 miles. You'll probably be happy with a V-6 gasser. But I've got to say that I do love driving my little diesel!

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Interesting. I thought the tow package and G80 were packaged as 1 unit for the Z71. I know the Canyon can have the G80 but not the tow package in SLE form because that's how my work truck came. Thanks for the correction!
Mind you, I ordered my truck so maybe thats why I got it without but it was definitely a separate package back in 2015. ......I do recall if I wanted the hitch, then they told me iI HAD to have the G80.....but I only ordered it with the G80 and no hitch. Might have changed since then.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Mind you, I ordered my truck so maybe thats why I got it without but it was definitely a separate package back in 2015. ......I do recall if I wanted the hitch, then they told me iI HAD to have the G80.....but I only ordered it with the G80 and no hitch. Might have changed since then.
I ordered a 2016 Z71 in 2015 and the trailer hitch was a separate option. I think it was called the tow package then. The G80 rear was standard with the Z71. You got it right. If you wanted the trailer hitch with the LT you had to order the G80 rear.

·
Registered
478 Posts
you can also get a LT with tow pkg which gets the G80 - if you want a 2” lift I think the best way to do it is the eibach 2” lift spring with the bilstien shocks and then add a .5-1” rear lift as well. Really makes room for a 265-70–17 tire. Remove the air damn.

with that setup and aggressive AT tires ( I run KO2s) you will lose some mpg for sure. But I still get 20-21 highway and that’s going 70-73 not 65. I get about 16-17 mixed driving. Probably give up about 2 MPG from stock with the highway tires and front air dam.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts