Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My RC 4in Lift should be delivered by Fedx Friday, my plan is to do the installation myself this weekend.

To you guys that have done this, are there any gotcha you care to share, like, should I strap the half shaft to the differential before removing the spindles to prevent them from pulling off the differential? Things like this..

Also, I was thinking of doing the rear first, I think I can do this Friday after fedx delivers that way I will have all day Saturday for the front.

I have read the instructions from RC and they look very detailed, but I would appreciate any first hand experience.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
The Rough Country instructions are exceptional. Just follow them very carefully. The part where it shows you to cut your frame (you'll need a torch or a nice Sawzall or something) the pictures are black and white it's really hard to tell what they're talking about so don't cut anything till your one hundred percent certain. I had installed a couple of lifts but it's been about 15 years, and me and a buddy did mine in about 8 hours working together.

Reactions: Brayan Rosales

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got you, Thank you. I printed them in Color so that helps a bit, I will also have it on the computer so an blow the pictures bigger for more detail.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lift is installed,

It was a bit of work, but nothing too difficult, my Daughter was helping and that made a big difference, outside needing a press in order to remove the struts bottom bushings, everything else went well, they were very much stock.

Tomorrow first thing she is going to the Alignment shop.

Reactions: Hunter62

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is a preliminary picture. I should have new tires on by this weekend, going with Falken's AT3 275-70R18 on the factory wheels.

Attachments

Reactions: CO_Texan

·
Registered
35 Posts
Here is a preliminary picture. I should have new tires on by this weekend, going with Falken's AT3 275-70R18 on the factory wheels.
Curious how your going with factory wheels, on the RC web site they recommend 275/65 R18 "Requires aftermarket wheels - Factory wheels will NOT work" your truck looks great.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Curious how your going with factory wheels, on the RC web site they recommend 275/65 R18 "Requires aftermarket wheels - Factory wheels will NOT work" your truck looks great.
I installed 1.25in spacers, this creates enough clearance between the knuckle and the tire. The factory tires clears no problem, the larger tires we will see but I believe there is plenty of space, will report back.

Reactions: Scramblerhd

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
It will clear fine. I have 1.5" spacers with oem 20s and the RC knuckles on 275 wide tires and I have about 1.25" of clearance.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tires are on, I have a bit of rubbing on full turn in the front passenger side, the rest is perfect.

Land vehicle Pickup truck Vehicle Car Tire

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Chevrolet Motor vehicle

Reactions: fondupot and Teebsa

·
Registered
35 Posts
OK so I am looking at ordering RC kit for my 16 Colorado. My stock wheels/tires are 265/65 R17. I called RC and they say I have to go to a18x9 wheel 5" backspacing and 0 mm offset 18 because the stock wheels will rub on the new knuckle. I would prefer to stay with a 17 and just go up to a 275/70 R17. So can anyone tell me if I can run spacers and get away with the stock 17. thanks

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
Looks great, guess I'm going have to spend some money now that I see yours. Can you tell me what the height is now I will have to make sure it fits in the garage.
If you have a normal 7 foot tall garage door I doubt it will fit unless you do something about the antenna.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks great, guess I'm going have to spend some money now that I see yours. Can you tell me what the height is now I will have to make sure it fits in the garage.
I measured 72" from the top of roof to the floor, you need to add the antenna to this.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK so I am looking at ordering RC kit for my 16 Colorado. My stock wheels/tires are 265/65 R17. I called RC and they say I have to go to a18x9 wheel 5" backspacing and 0 mm offset 18 because the stock wheels will rub on the new knuckle. I would prefer to stay with a 17 and just go up to a 275/70 R17. So can anyone tell me if I can run spacers and get away with the stock 17. thanks
I HAVE 1.25" spacers on and there is over 1" clearance between the tires and the knuckle, I don't know why a 17" wheel would be any different. You can always go with a bigger spacer in order to get more knuckle clearance, but this may increase the probability of rubbing. I believe I found some people with the lift and 17" wheels when I was trying to figure out what to do.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.