Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I don't know if anyone can help me here, but I gotta try...
I'm looking into buying an '05 Canyon that doesn't have power windows or locks. I'd really like to put them in and still make it appear factory. So 1) What modifications do I need to install? 2) What parts do I need to buy? & 3) How much am I looking to spend. Please help me out!
Thanks,
JP

·
Registered
327 Posts
Depends. Do you want it to look stock? Or work like stock? If you just want the stock look, the easy way is to try to find some Colorado doors at the junk yard and get them. That will give you the regulators, motors, solonoids for the locks, door panels, and switches. From there you just make a wiring harness to get power to it all(might need relays for the power locks but it's an easy wireup with radioshack relays). Not sure how to connect it all to the BCM to make it work like stock(lock when in gear, auto down windows, etc).
If it doesn't need to look stock, there are window kits , I used a spaul (spelling? it was a long time ago) kit. It adds a motor that connects to the crank mechanism. You add spacers to make it recess into the door so it doesn't stick out, and put a plastic cap over the hole. Locks, you can get solonoids from a alarm shop and wire up yourself. Good luck. Might be easier and cheaper to just look for a truck that has what you want.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I looked at a moible one Audio/alarm place and salesman said would cost me $100 a actuator to install in the doors along with the viper alarm system I was looking at. I don't have power locks either.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the help, but I am far from mechanically inclined, and would feel much more comforable having a dealer or body shop do it. Has anyone ever priced out what that would cost? (Factory or Aftermarket)

Thanks again

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I think some people have had both done for ~$300 at a shop. Dealer would run about $500 around here from what I remember.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have manual door locks on my truck. When I get my alarm installed, I'm think about getting power door locks actuators installed to go with the alarm. Which if I do that, would cost me about $200 extra bucks.

Would it be cheaper for me to buy power locks elsewhere either from GM or anyone and then have them installed by the alarm place or buy them along with the alarm system?

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Let them do it that way they are covered under a warranty. And they also can't say they were installed wrong. Try to talk them down a little though.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Rgr that. I'll check out other places too. I just looked them for now cause one of the local radio stations was running a promo with them.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I got all my parts for windows and locks for about $300. Other people have gotten both installed for $325ish. Just gotta find the right shop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I recently called the local GMC dealer and was told that they couldn't put in factory locks or windows on a manual system. I was dissapointed, but it sounds like some of you have had that done for $500 or less? Maybe I missread something, but I'm definitely going to check in with some local body shops. Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Not the factory switches. Right now I am trying to make that mod but I had to solder wire directly to the board since I couldn't just find the other end and crimps to keep the factory release. Also figuring out the wiring took some time. And mine won't be hooked to the BCM. I just need a warm garage and some time to test it before pulling all the wires. I have write ups in the technical/how-to section for installing the hardware.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So did anyone ever find out if it was possible to install power doors into an originally manual window and lock truck? I’m willing to do wiring if it’s moderatly basic. I can imagine there would be issues with the keys on the locks and the security system but I have access to an entire truck with power doors that I could use on mine and would like to find a way

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I have manual door locks on my truck. When I get my alarm installed, I'm think about getting power door locks actuators installed to go with the alarm. Which if I do that, would cost me about $200 extra bucks.

Would it be cheaper for me to buy power locks elsewhere either from GM or anyone and then have them installed by the alarm place or buy them along with the alarm system?
Just FYI those door lock add on actuators are dirt cheap. 10 bucks for 2! As far as labor at an alarm shop, I don't know. They go great with an alarm, gives you remote locks.

I did a add on power window setup years ago on my 94 Sonoma PU. It was self contained, nothing to do with the BCM. It was something like this:

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Window-XO-Vision-Door-Power/dp/B005AQOL5E/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1548910470&sr=1-5&keywords=power+window+kit[/ame]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts