Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen reference to a few folks installing this to improve chassis stiffness especially related to the active jounce stops. No photos though and no mention of whether it works on non-ZR2. Yes it does, just not Diesels.

Because my airbags are slightly off center (outboard) from the frame and leaf spring centerline, figured it would be a good idea to add torsional stiffness to the frame rails to help counteract that.

We travel right at max GVWR when towing and camping so "it can't hurt" other than adding 15 lbs.

Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Vehicle Bumper
White Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light Grille

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I did a DIY weld in when I did the 589 shock relocation. Seemed to make the truck feel firmer.

Reactions: White016

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
man is that bar expensive... hows the ride now anyway? and why does it look like your shock is upside down?

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
man is that bar expensive... hows the ride now anyway? and why does it look like your shock is upside down?
Not really something that is noticeable as far as ride. Shock is upside down 'cause it is not a ZR2.

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
If you have a hitch, that should be good support.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
mine isnt like that though.... and i dont have a zr2 either

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
I have seen reference to a few folks installing this to improve chassis stiffness especially related to the active jounce stops. No photos though and no mention of whether it works on non-ZR2. Yes it does, just not Diesels.

Because my airbags are slightly off center (outboard) from the frame and leaf spring centerline, figured it would be a good idea to add torsional stiffness to the frame rails to help counteract that.

We travel right at max GVWR when towing and camping so "it can't hurt" other than adding 15 lbs.
Great, so know you're 15 lbs. over.
You are living on the edge!
:D

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I used 1.75" cm tube, about $40 cost in all. Mine is about 8" further to the rear vs the gmpp $600 bar. There's a hole in the frame that was the perfect size and location, cut, mig, done.

Reactions: C21964 and White016

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
I used 1.75" cm tube, about $40 cost in all. Mine is about 8" further to the rear vs the gmpp $600 bar. There's a hole in the frame that was the perfect size and location, cut, mig, done.
What!?!
That bar is $600??!

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Yep that sounds great. I donated my MIG, TIG, and plasma cutter to the local high school when we moved to Texas. Once we get the new place finished will rebuild my shop and have capability to do that again. Right now ordering something bolt on online and installing it is a whole lot easier than tracking down a welding shop or fabricator willing to do the small jobs like that.

Nothing from GM Performance is cheap, heck even a plastic license plate frame for a Corvette is $80 ! Despite the prices there are apparently quite a few folks going all in on the complete ZR2 GMPerformance suspension and driveline upgrades. Plus you get a nice emblem with every order.

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
Being a clamp on mount, I just do not see it adding much rigidity, as it would if bolt on or weld on.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Price the jounce system - it retails for over $1700! If we could find the maker, we 'might' be able to get them cheaper, or wait for some aftermarket equivalent.

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
So I actually have noticed an apparent improvement. There is an intersection near our home where they have some pavement torn up, and making a hard right around the pylons and over some potholes, I could hear a slight "thumping noise" not too bad but there even with nothing in the bed. I thought it might have been the Bedslide. Well, after driving through it several times with no noise now, I think it was the bed cross rail where it rests on the frame, which is coincidentally right next to the new crossbar. Of course I can't be 100% certain but seems plausible there is now less frame flex relative to the bed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts