Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Just got around to throwing the set of kmc wheels with duratracs that I picked up used. Really made me enjoy the look of my truck.

I have a couple questions. First, I am new to trucks and off-road tires. The person I got my wheels from claimed he has 30k on the duratracs but they look almost new. I’d say at minimum 75 percent tread. He claims he rotated his tires regularly.

First question is, being I’m not used to off road tire sounds, are duratracs known to be noisy at lower speeds? When I’m taking off and slowing down around 15 mph-10 mph they make a howl sound. At any other speed they are very quiet. I don’t notice any difference in sound at Highway speeds from the stock wranglers. They also track straight and have no shakes or anything. Tires are 265/65/17.

My truck is a CCLB that is exactly 2” lower in the front. I have a brand new set of RC 2” leveling struts sitting in the box that I haven’t installed yet mainly because of the cold. I know I want a level look, but reading these forums I’m not sure I want to level 2” for a couple reasons.

1. I’m still under warranty for a while as my trucks a 2021 with 1700 miles.

2. Most people seem to be split with 2” being the max amount you can lift without needing a diff drop.

Not sure if I’m overthinking it but I don’t want to create excessive wear and tear on the truck.

I’m now considering a 1.25” spacer which will still leave me with 3/4 rake. This might be beneficial as I randomly buy bikes and quads so if I ever have to tow I’ll sit level. The only thing is I don’t want to do all that work to be disappointed with the outcome.

Does anybody have pics of a 1.25” level on a long bed? Also I will be doing a lot of outer beach driving this year and I would also be interested in finding off-road trails in NY in the future. Nothing to crazy though

So what do you guys think is my best course of action here? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Since you already own the struts, I would install them. But I would also install a 1" lift block in the rear. A leveled truck looks good. But when you make it do truck work, it's a problem

Changing the front struts will not effect your warranty much. Look up the Moss-Magnusson Warranty Act.

·
Registered
2020 GMC Canyon Ext. Cab 2WD, V6
399 Posts
Pics of other people’s trucks doesn’t always dive you a true picture of what your truck is going to look like. My suggestion is to jack up the front until it is lifted 1.25”, see how looks and then further lift it to 2” and see how it looks. Repeat as many times as necessary until you decide which you like better.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Duratracs are a pretty aggressive tire and they're going to be noisy.I have a 2021 also and it has a 1in. level which was dealer installed when I purchased it.Even with just 1 in. it looks pretty level to me

·
Registered
105 Posts
Duratracs are a pretty aggressive tire and they're going to be noisy.I have a 2021 also and it has a 1in. level which was dealer installed when I purchased it.Even with just 1 in. it looks pretty level to me
I also have the 1" GM Level Kit on my 2021 AT4. To me, it looks perfect. So much so, that I'm a little concerned about rear squat when I too, use it for truck stuff. Hoping it settles down a little bit, else I'm seriously thinking of removing it.

Reactions: American Truck

·
Registered
2020 GMC Canyon SLE 4WD CCSB
16 Posts
I just put the RC 2” leveling struts on my Canyon a couple weeks ago, sits pretty level and takes all the rake out - I was super happy with the look. All personal preference. Most AT tires with a blocky tread will give you more noise than an all season, but I have heard duratracs aren’t bad. I put Falken Wildpeak AT3 and got a little howl as well. It’s not bad and I would say you get used to it.

·
Registered
2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 Midnight
518 Posts
Sweet looking truck. Is it just me or does yours sit a tiny bit nose high now?

It looks so from that angle. I haven't measure it but it's very close. I have heard that they eventually "Sink" in a little also. In the near future, I will be researching what to do with my rear end. I would like to buy something that will need to be towed. Will need to stiffen up the rear.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I also have the 1" GM Level Kit on my 2021 AT4. To me, it looks perfect. So much so, that I'm a little concerned about rear squat when I too, use it for truck stuff. Hoping it settles down a little bit, else I'm seriously thinking of removing it.
Hows the ride with the GM level kit? Any squeaks or noises after installing?

·
Registered
80 Posts

I installed mine as well. Truck drives great. Torqued everything down properly to spec and got an alignment from a great truck shop. Definitely love the look.

Looks great, how are you liking the ride? I have also been looking for a good shop I can trust. If you don’t mind me asking, who did you go to for the alignment?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey guys. Just got around to throwing the set of kmc wheels with duratracs that I picked up used. Really made me enjoy the look of my truck.

I have a couple questions. First, I am new to trucks and off-road tires. The person I got my wheels from claimed he has 30k on the duratracs but they look almost new. I’d say at minimum 75 percent tread. He claims he rotated his tires regularly.

First question is, being I’m not used to off road tire sounds, are duratracs known to be noisy at lower speeds? When I’m taking off and slowing down around 15 mph-10 mph they make a howl sound. At any other speed they are very quiet. I don’t notice any difference in sound at Highway speeds from the stock wranglers. They also track straight and have no shakes or anything. Tires are 265/65/17.

My truck is a CCLB that is exactly 2” lower in the front. I have a brand new set of RC 2” leveling struts sitting in the box that I haven’t installed yet mainly because of the cold. I know I want a level look, but reading these forums I’m not sure I want to level 2” for a couple reasons.

1. I’m still under warranty for a while as my trucks a 2021 with 1700 miles.

2. Most people seem to be split with 2” being the max amount you can lift without needing a diff drop.

Not sure if I’m overthinking it but I don’t want to create excessive wear and tear on the truck.

I’m now considering a 1.25” spacer which will still leave me with 3/4 rake. This might be beneficial as I randomly buy bikes and quads so if I ever have to tow I’ll sit level. The only thing is I don’t want to do all that work to be disappointed with the outcome.

Does anybody have pics of a 1.25” level on a long bed? Also I will be doing a lot of outer beach driving this year and I would also be interested in finding off-road trails in NY in the future. Nothing to crazy though

So what do you guys think is my best course of action here? Thanks!

Mine is not a LB but I only got 1" from my Zone spacer. Considering add the 1" RC pre-load spacer to get to 2" but the mechanic talked me out of it. Going
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Cloud Automotive side marker light

to sleep on it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts