Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the correct forum for this. But I've been having problems with my 2020 Colorado the day after I bought it with the Apply CarPlay crashing and rebooting the infotainment screen. I took it to the dealer and I really don't think they even checked it, as the truck was driven 1 mile... They just claimed GM is aware of the issue and are working on a fix. If that's the case why even bother dropping the truck off and wasting everyone's time.

-Anyways I happened to capture video of it. Anyone else here experiencing this issue?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I’m having this exact same issue in my 2019 Colorado LT Redline Edition. Seems to happen predictably when navigation through CarPlay (Apple maps or Google maps) is running. Will also happen without nav.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let’s hear from someone else. An update from GM. Something.
Have you taken it to the dealer? He told me PIT#5790A was the bulletin...It really pisses me off when it happens. Also sometimes the truck will lag and the audio controls wont work or the hvac system, wont go up or down. The only thing thatll work is the gauges on the truck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Have you taken it to the dealer? He told me PIT#5790A was the bulletin...It really pisses me off when it happens. Also sometimes the truck will lag and the audio controls wont work or the hvac system, wont go up or down. The only thing thatll work is the gauges on the truck.
I will take it in to dealer next chance I get. In the meantime, try this and see if it reduces your reboots: on your iPhone, go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode > then scroll down and turn on the switch for “USB Accessories”. This will prevent your phone from disconnecting USB connection when screen lock comes on. I still think this is somehow caused by navigation/gps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will take it in to dealer next chance I get. In the meantime, try this and see if it reduces your reboots: on your iPhone, go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode > then scroll down and turn on the switch for “USB Accessories”. This will prevent your phone from disconnecting USB connection when screen lock comes on. I still think this is somehow caused by navigation/gps.
Thanks, I'll try that and see if that helps. I believe you're correct that it is caused by GPS, also while being on the phone seems to really trigger it. Hopefully we get a fix soon!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks, I'll try that and see if that helps. I believe you're correct that it is caused by GPS, also while being on the phone seems to really trigger it. Hopefully we get a fix soon!
mine just crashed again, so the usb switch didn’t really help.

Once again, a route was running on gps (Apple maps). A phone call came in. Talked for about 2 min. Hung up and after about 30 seconds the infotainment system crashed and rebooted. So annoying!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mine just crashed again, so the usb switch didn’t really help.

Once again, a route was running on gps (Apple maps). A phone call came in. Talked for about 2 min. Hung up and after about 30 seconds the infotainment system crashed and rebooted. So annoying!!
I wonder if anyone using android are having these issues or just apple? The guy at the dealer told me that apple will not allow GM to get access to their "code" to diagnose the problem..

·
Registered
20 Posts
I wonder if anyone using android are having these issues or just apple? The guy at the dealer told me that apple will not allow GM to get access to their "code" to diagnose the problem..
Then GM should just look at another car manufacturer’s code that’s not having this same problem. Doesn’t happen in wife’s Toyota, brother’s Mazda, or neighbor’s F-150.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Then GM should just look at another car manufacturer’s code that’s not having this same problem. Doesn’t happen in wife’s Toyota, brother’s Mazda, or neighbor’s F-150.
Yup, my ol ladys 19 trax has zero issues with it.

·
Registered
2021 Canyon Denali, 4x4 CCLB, Durmax
35 Posts
Was just at the dealer today with my 2021 Canyon and was provided the TSB PIT#5790A mentioned above. That TSB is specific to the radio/infotainment unit rebooting after adjusting the volume, which is what is affecting mine although mine constantly reboots no matter what I do (including doing nothing). They said GM is working on it, no fix yet and nothing they can do

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hahaha! Yep, nothing they can do about it because the fix would prob require replacement of the head unit. The issue is definitely volume related. I can confirm that mine glitches out like previously described way more often when I have recently adjusted the volume. Even more annoying is the glitch where the volume knob becomes unresponsive and then the volume just starts slowly creeping up and continues until it reaches maximum volume. The only way to get it to stop is to unplug your device from the charging cable and hold down the power button on the head unit for about 5-7 seconds to force it to power off. The more I experience it, the more I strongly believe that GM should elevate the priority level of a fix. I can see how someone unfamiliar with the glitch could easily cause an accident trying to prevent ear damage when it occurs. I can also see how it could cause permanent hearing loss if someone isn’t able to respond quickly enough. I’ll start keeping an old phone in the truck so that I can document this on video the next time it happens. It’s almost guaranteed to happen when using CarPlay on an iPhone 12 Pro.

·
Registered
2021 Canyon Denali, 4x4 CCLB, Durmax
35 Posts
Hahaha! Yep, nothing they can do about it because the fix would prob require replacement of the head unit. The issue is definitely volume related. I can confirm that mine glitches out like previously described way more often when I have recently adjusted the volume. Even more annoying is the glitch where the volume knob becomes unresponsive and then the volume just starts slowly creeping up and continues until it reaches maximum volume. The only way to get it to stop is to unplug your device from the charging cable and hold down the power button on the head unit for about 5-7 seconds to force it to power off. The more I experience it, the more I strongly believe that GM should elevate the priority level of a fix. I can see how someone unfamiliar with the glitch could easily cause an accident trying to prevent ear damage when it occurs. I can also see how it could cause permanent hearing loss if someone isn’t able to respond quickly enough. I’ll start keeping an old phone in the truck so that I can document this on video the next time it happens. It’s almost guaranteed to happen when using CarPlay on an iPhone 12 Pro.
Wow thankfully mine hasn't had that volume creeping to max issue, it just constantly reboots and sometimes drops volume and sometimes doesn't. I believe CarPlay was also triggering it but the volume knob/buttons was more consistent, I also have an iPhone 12 Pro, not sure if that has anything to do with it. Attaching the TSB I referred to as I couldn't find it available online

·
Registered
20 Posts
See if yours occurs mostly when you are using navigation (Apple Maps or Google maps) and try to adjust the volume... that seems to be a common environment for a glitch-fest.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mine has also done this. Although it has been awhile. I pulled over and shut off my truck and opened the door to get the damn volume to shut off, for sure can cause an accident. My problem mainly occurs when I'm using CarPlay with navigation and a call comes in. That's what was happening when I recorded the video above. It's to a point where I just turn off CarPlay and use blue tooth. But still will occasionally randomly shut off... I hope we get a fix soon for the price we pay for these trucks we shouldn't be having these stupid glitches.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Me too. CarPlay off. Bluetooth works 95% of the time. I also confirmed it’s iPhone 11 and up. The iPhone X on 14.3 doesn’t have the issue.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Mine does something... similar... First time I start the truck, no problem. If I park it somewhere for some amount of time less than overnight (not sure what the ceiling is), the infotainment system boots up, but the radio crashes and restarts continuously as long as it's on. The cell reception icon in the bottom right corner flashes in time with the radio reboots. If I shut the truck down and restart it, sometimes it'll come back on (though the percentage of the time this works has decreased and the percentage of the time it misbehaves has increased over time). I've messed around with other systems under the infotainment system's purview, but it only seems to affect these two.

I took it to the dealer, and they updated the operating system. Didn't work. Turns out, they didn't actually succeed in their update, and updates not sticking is now a known issue (according to the service guy). I took it back in, and they updated it again. Still didn't work.

My issue is clearly different than the above that GM is interested in (volume knob/toggle never touched), and different than the other two posters (just the two failures rather than across the board). As an engineer who works with similar sorts of software/hardware systems, the problem for my part looks pretty obvious... You have two subsystems similar in nature, but otherwise unrelated. They both require some sort of antenna (radio and cellular), and both of those antennae possess certain physical characteristics that put them way out away from everything else, and often on their own discreet board... For them both to fail simultaneously and in lockstep with each other tells me either a plug isn't fully seated or the antenna module is faulty. GM has not yet reached this conclusion...

More specific to you guys' issue, I believe I read a bit ago that there was an issue with an iOS update that was causing problems like this. A simple iOS update would resolve it. I could be misremembering, but check for phone updates and report back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure if this is the correct forum for this. But I've been having problems with my 2020 Colorado the day after I bought it with the Apply CarPlay crashing and rebooting the infotainment screen. I took it to the dealer and I really don't think they even checked it, as the truck was driven 1 mile... They just claimed GM is aware of the issue and are working on a fix. If that's the case why even bother dropping the truck off and wasting everyone's time.

-Anyways I happened to capture video of it. Anyone else here experiencing this issue?

I’m having the same problem with my 2019 Chevy Colorado Z71.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts