Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Canyon ExCab SLT 4WD. I bought the truck used in Feb 2019 with 15,000 miles on it. Last summer is when I first noticed that you would hear a clicking sound from the infotainment cluster just like when you would press one of the buttons on it. When you hear this it would go to a compass display. You can press the home button and the display would go back to normal but the clicking would start and it goes back to the compass display again. Common to this happening is the heat of summer, ie it's in the 90's out. No other indication of a problem and all other functions such as the radio or media all work. I haven't seen if it goes to compass yet while say listening to Pandora but will see if that happens next time I'm in the truck. Love my Canyon and love driving it. Thanks

·
Registered
159 Posts
Do a search. I had the same issue and posted here. It was like a ghost was clicking randome buttons on the infotainment display, would go to nav then start changing radio stations by itself. If under a warranty (or not) it will need to be replaced. Mine was replaced under warranty. Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do a search. I had the same issue and posted here. It was like a ghost was clicking randome buttons on the infotainment display, would go to nav then start changing radio stations by itself. If under a warranty (or not) it will need to be replaced. Mine was replaced under warranty. Good luck.
Yea, my bumper to bumper ran out in May of 2019. I noticed it last summer the first time. It seems to have something to do with the heat. Don't think I will want to pay what the dealer will want to fix it though.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Your touch screen is dying.

it started with random clicking noise, then progressed to the screen jumping from one display to another, to randomly changing channels, to full lock up in a two month period.

I have a video somewhere on here from 2017 of my screen going spastic.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, that I have figured out. I have been all over the internet researching this. I called the dealership to get a price on a new one and they quoted $656. I did pull the display to get the correct part number. I found different pricing on the online GM parts sites and the lowest I found was $405. So I gave them a call and guess what. They will not sell you any radio parts. Those parts have to go through the dealer! Can you say "Gotcha"? So it looks like my choices are 1. Buy just the replacement touchscreen itself and repair it myself at $300, 2. Buy a refurbished display unit, remove and replace the whole unit at $400 and return the bad one as the core. If I return the old one you get a 90 day warranty, if not, a 30 day warranty. 3. And lastly try to haggle with the dealership over a known problem that they have a different part number to replace the original. There is also the concern that any new or replacement would require the display to be reprogrammed by the dealer. That is stated on the site where the refurb unit comes from. It was late so haven't actually talked to anyone at the refurb site yet. I am going talk to the service manager at the dealership and see if there is anyway they will order the new unit from the online GM parts site and sell it to me at the $405 cost without a markup and them get to make their money on the labor for the remove, replace, and programming. I really see this as the best option in the long run as I plan on keeping the Canyon for a while even though it's probably the most expensive.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yep, that I have figured out. I have been all over the internet researching this. I called the dealership to get a price on a new one and they quoted $656. I did pull the display to get the correct part number. I found different pricing on the online GM parts sites and the lowest I found was $405. So I gave them a call and guess what. They will not sell you any radio parts. Those parts have to go through the dealer! Can you say "Gotcha"? So it looks like my choices are 1. Buy just the replacement touchscreen itself and repair it myself at $300, 2. Buy a refurbished display unit, remove and replace the whole unit at $400 and return the bad one as the core. If I return the old one you get a 90 day warranty, if not, a 30 day warranty. 3. And lastly try to haggle with the dealership over a known problem that they have a different part number to replace the original. There is also the concern that any new or replacement would require the display to be reprogrammed by the dealer. That is stated on the site where the refurb unit comes from. It was late so haven't actually talked to anyone at the refurb site yet. I am going talk to the service manager at the dealership and see if there is anyway they will order the new unit from the online GM parts site and sell it to me at the $405 cost without a markup and them get to make their money on the labor for the remove, replace, and programming. I really see this as the best option in the long run as I plan on keeping the Canyon for a while even though it's probably the most expensive.
It will get ro the point where the radio is completely useless. Mine is like that see my numerous posts, good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote from dealership was $655. Found at several online GMC parts websites anywhere from $409 to $465. On site that I spoke with actually said they wouldn't sell radio parts, only to dealers. Several other sites were ok and I could add the part to cart and check out-though didn't go that far. Went to dealer while the radio was going crazy and showed it first to one of the guys in the service department and then to the service manager. They would not recognize this as a known problem. They also stated if I bought the part online they would not honor any warranty. Only honored if bought from them at the $655 price. The replacement display also has to be programmed to the vehicle as well. I talked with the service manager about the $250 dollar mark up and asked if there was any way they would order the part for the $409 that I saw with no mark up and them get to do the install and programming and make their money from that. He said he would run it by the GMC rep and see if they would let him knock off some of the price. He placed a call and got on the computer and came back with a paper reply from GMC and you guessed it they would allow $0.00 on the part. I can get a display and let them install it, no warranty, I can pay them the exorbitant pricing they want and get the warranty, or I can get a refurbished one for $499 that still has to be programmed by the dealer and still not warranty. I can also send the unit into them and they will repair and return. There is also another site that sells just the touchscreen only for $299. You have to take yours out of the truck and removed the back panel and verify the type of cable connector in order to get the right part. I have found that there is a class action suit for the touchscreen on some of the Cadillac models called (Cuescreens) but nothing on the Canyons or Colorado's. Girl at work had her husband replace the touchscreen in her Escalade and it worked out very well. So at this point, I'm really leaning on getting just the touchscreen to replace. There is a Youtube video on how to do it and they actually offer the complete kit of trim tools etc if needed. I have all the tools needed. Just wanted to keep everyone up to what's going on with my situation as it looks as if others have had or are still having this problem.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Quote from dealership was $655. Found at several online GMC parts websites anywhere from $409 to $465. On site that I spoke with actually said they wouldn't sell radio parts, only to dealers. Several other sites were ok and I could add the part to cart and check out-though didn't go that far. Went to dealer while the radio was going crazy and showed it first to one of the guys in the service department and then to the service manager. They would not recognize this as a known problem. They also stated if I bought the part online they would not honor any warranty. Only honored if bought from them at the $655 price. The replacement display also has to be programmed to the vehicle as well. I talked with the service manager about the $250 dollar mark up and asked if there was any way they would order the part for the $409 that I saw with no mark up and them get to do the install and programming and make their money from that. He said he would run it by the GMC rep and see if they would let him knock off some of the price. He placed a call and got on the computer and came back with a paper reply from GMC and you guessed it they would allow $0.00 on the part. I can get a display and let them install it, no warranty, I can pay them the exorbitant pricing they want and get the warranty, or I can get a refurbished one for $499 that still has to be programmed by the dealer and still not warranty. I can also send the unit into them and they will repair and return. There is also another site that sells just the touchscreen only for $299. You have to take yours out of the truck and removed the back panel and verify the type of cable connector in order to get the right part. I have found that there is a class action suit for the touchscreen on some of the Cadillac models called (Cuescreens) but nothing on the Canyons or Colorado's. Girl at work had her husband replace the touchscreen in her Escalade and it worked out very well. So at this point, I'm really leaning on getting just the touchscreen to replace. There is a Youtube video on how to do it and they actually offer the complete kit of trim tools etc if needed. I have all the tools needed. Just wanted to keep everyone up to what's going on with my situation as it looks as if others have had or are still having this problem.
From my own experience I think it is in the circuit board that is behind the screen it seems that it happens after it warms up. Never when I first start driving takes about 15 min of being on then it starts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I disconnected the battery yesterday and let it sit for over an hour just to test. When I connected it back and started the truck the display started right in to doing the same thing. I hear the clicking and it went to the compass display. The little button that shows the compass points blinks red as the display clicks. At this point I'm leaning on buying a new display from the one of the GM parts sites and paying the dealership to install it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I disconnected the battery yesterday and let it sit for over an hour just to test. When I connected it back and started the truck the display started right in to doing the same thing. I hear the clicking and it went to the compass display. The little button that shows the compass points blinks red as the display clicks. At this point I'm leaning on buying a new display from the one of the GM parts sites and paying the dealership to install it.
If you can find a parts place that will sell you one I have had no luck. They tell me truck must be in the dealers shop.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just ordered from gmpartswarehouse.com They came back with order number and I paid for it to be overnighted. 383 and 66 for ship

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Start with cleaning the display real good. There was a thread just the other day, @Chuck_B posted a site that sells the screen pretty cheap. I can't find it now. It was only like 2 days ago.

oops too late, I just saw your last post that you ordered a new one. Interesting, that guy said GM parts places wouldn't sell it to him. @white cat was that you?

Where did you order it from?? I might need one some day.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just ordered from gmpartswarehouse.com They came back with order number and I paid for it to be overnighted. 383 and 66 for ship
Start with cleaning the display real good. There was a thread just the other day, @Chuck_B posted a site that sells the screen pretty cheap. I can't find it now. It was only like 2 days ago.

oops too late, I just saw your last post that you ordered a new one. Interesting, that guy said GM parts places wouldn't sell it to him. @white cat was that you?

Where did you order it from?? I might need one some day.
That is correct GM parts direct would not sell it to me they took my order and later canceled it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, it was gmpartsdirect.com and they now have a bulletin up stating radio parts can only be sold to dealers. I was 1 other site as well but can't remember which one it was.
I really don't think cleaning it will do any good in this case as it starts doing it's clicking thing almost immediately after starting

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just received and email from gmpartswarehouse.com and they cancelled my order. Stated can only sell this part to dealers. Back to square one.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Just received and email from gmpartswarehouse.com and they cancelled my order. Stated can only sell this part to dealers. Back to square one.
find the thread about the screen replacement.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
post #6

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The screen itself can be had at factoryradioparts.com. Just not sure about them. Friend at work with a 2017 Escalade got her's from cuesystems.com. There is a civil suit concerning the Cue systems in the Caddie's.

Does anyone know, does this affect Colorado's as well? Sure seems like something there should be a recall on.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts