Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to get more apps than what the system comes with? It would be nice to be able to download them directly to the truck instead of having to plug the phone in.
Am I being too lazy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Nope, people have to go through GM to make the apps available. My 2018 had Pandora app, but my 2019 doesn't. Hell I don't even have Marketplace on my '19

·
Premium Member
2018 Colorado CCLB Z71 3.6 LGZ
4,681 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Spotify via Wifi works great, or did until my trial ran out. Too expensive to justify. Pandora via Intellilink used to work fantastic on older models and album art came through with no cable attached! Miracle! They need to put all of these apps in the store and make them available and give the option to run off your phone's data OR AA/Car Play and work exactly the same as Spotify with Wifi does. The fact Spotify is now available but Pandora is no longer available as an app except through AA is mystifying. I don't get their logic. I would love to have 10 minutes with these engineers and UI/UX people at GM.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Doesn’t mystify me, I like Spotify more than pandora. I seem to use pandora more though(which isn’t much) since Spotify sounds horrible.

I use I heart radio just about everyday.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Doesn’t mystify me, I like Spotify more than pandora. I seem to use pandora more though(which isn’t much) since Spotify sounds horrible.

Does IHeart use data if you don’t have a data plan for the truck? I don’t have unlimited data on my cell any longer. I should have kept it back in the day.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It only works with the GM data plan. When I say mystify, I mean GM had good functionality in some areas and have now gone backwards. Replaced Pandora with Spotify and can only use with a GM data plan unless plugged into AA or Car Play. Why not have both and allow to run via Bluetooth off of your phone and controlled by the stereo? They had one working, they have an app store, just add both apps, iHeart, etc. and give us the opportunity to run off of GM data, our phones, or AA/Car Play. The way Spotify and iHeart work off of the GM Data plan works great. Probably did that on purpose to try and force owners to pay for the data plan.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It only works with the GM data plan. When I say mystify, I mean GM had good functionality in some areas and have now gone backwards. Replaced Pandora with Spotify and can only use with a GM data plan unless plugged into AA or Car Play. Why not have both and allow to run via Bluetooth off of your phone and controlled by the stereo? They had one working, they have an app store, just add both apps, iHeart, etc. and give us the opportunity to run off of GM data, our phones, or AA/Car Play. The way Spotify and iHeart work off of the GM Data plan works great. Probably did that on purpose to try and force owners to pay for the data plan.

I’d be surprised if someone couldn’t come up with some sort of work around. There has to be a computer person out there that can make that happen. Almost like jail breaking an iPhone.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Im still mad i have to plug my phone in to be able to see text messages on the screen. No more messaging app. Just Carplay or AA
There was (at least late last year) a messaging app available on the marketplace to download. I don't think you need a data plan to download apps although I suppose it's possible I still had the free trial going on mine when I downloaded it.

Once your phone is connected to Bluetooth, you should get popup notification of text messages on the screen. If you have iOS, you need to go into the Bluetooth settings on your phone and make sure "allow notifications" is checked.

I haven't played with the app itself much, but if I have both phones with me in the car and one connected to Apple Play, the other connects via Bluetooth and then I get popup notifications of text that the system will read to me if I tap on them on the screen. I don't know if you can get the message itself displayed on the screen.

·
Registered
131 Posts

I'm not sure if the free version offers this, but the in the subscription version of Spotify you can adjust the music quality. If you haven't done this, it's likely still set to Automatic, which will adjust quality based on signal strength.
Low = 24kbits/s
Normal = 96kbits/s
High = 160 kbits/s
Very High = 320 kbits/s

obviously, this will impact your data usage.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Replaced Pandora with Spotify
SirusXM (aka Sony) bought Pandora and yanked everyone's licensing hoping people would turn to the more expensive satellite subscriptions. They're also jacking up Pandora's "music DNA" algorithms, I've been thumbing-down unrelated Sony-catalog trash like crazy since shortly after the buy-out. Sad. It was a good run while it lasted.

Doesn't really matter though, I exclusively run through AA. In fact, I've been thinking about replacing the crappy factory headunit and running a Maestro iDatalink to retain all the truck-related on-screen stuff. The Pioneer we just put into my wife's Jeep even does Android screen-mirroring (haven't tried it yet, though).

·
Registered
135 Posts
SirusXM (aka Sony) bought Pandora and yanked everyone's licensing hoping people would turn to the more expensive satellite subscriptions. They're also jacking up Pandora's "music DNA" algorithms, I've been thumbing-down unrelated Sony-catalog trash like crazy since shortly after the buy-out. Sad. It was a good run while it lasted.

Doesn't really matter though, I exclusively run through AA. In fact, I've been thinking about replacing the crappy factory headunit and running a Maestro iDatalink to retain all the truck-related on-screen stuff. The Pioneer we just put into my wife's Jeep even does Android screen-mirroring (haven't tried it yet, though).
Well that makes sense then. I had not heard of that. 100% Android screen mirroring is exactly what we need along with the wireless AA and Car Play Pioneer provides. Excellent product. AA should be able to figure this out with GM after 4 years!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Yeah, I've always wondered why it's taking so long for folks to pick up on wireless AA and Car Play, they both have been available for a while now, but I've only seen Pioneer and Kenwood offer it. You would think that Auto Manufacturers that offer wireless charging would make it work for their vehicles.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Yeah, I've always wondered why it's taking so long for folks to pick up on wireless AA and Car Play, they both have been available for a while now, but I've only seen Pioneer and Kenwood offer it. You would think that Auto Manufacturers that offer wireless charging would make it work for their vehicles.
I'm sure part of the problem (for Android, no idea about FrootFone) is that it isn't yet widely available on the phone side.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is there a way to get more apps than what the system comes with? It would be nice to be able to download them directly to the truck instead of having to plug the phone in.
Am I being too lazy?

I don't know if it works on infotainment system or not. But once I rooted Android Auto to install this OGWhatsApp Apk third party app on Android Auto with the help of some tools and I successfully installed this app on Android Auto.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts