Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from Brantford, Ontario, Canada.

I'll start by stating that I've never owned a truck before. However, with a quickly growing passion for boating/fishing with my young family, purchasing a truck to facilitate moving gear and a boat seems like a wise decision. I work for a company that produces a few of the Automotive Exposed "blanks" that get sent down to Wentzville's plant. I'm actually the lead Operator on the line that produces the front quarter-panels and the doors. When they leave my shop they're just flat profile parts that have yet to be formed... There's a really good chance that the fenders or doors on YOUR truck were produced under my watchful eye!

Here's what I'm looking to buy. 2017 Colorado LT. Crew Cab, Long Box, 4x4. Laser Blue Metallic with the 18" Dark Argent wheels.
My selected Options: Under-body Shield, Engine Block Heater, Trailering Package w/ Locking Rear Diff, Molded Hood Protector, Front/Rear Splash Guards, Black Bed Rails, Bed Liner (Sprayed), 5" Rectangular Side Steps,Cat-back Exhaust System.

Pricing Break Down: $44,435 MSRP (CDN$) -$2414 Credits, +$1800 Freight & A/C Tax, - $4000 GM Supplier Discount*, -$4000 Down Payment. Add $5307 for my taxes (13%).
Balance ends up at $40,998. My payments would end up at $115/week over 84 months, at .99% financing.

*3 months ago my wife and I took a Colorado out for a test drive, and were both pleasantly surprised. As that truck was configured, my GM supplier discount (which, as I understand it, gets applied to the vehicle AND all options) was a few dollars shy of $3800. Because the truck I've configured has a few more options selected, included the exhaust, I've rounded the discount up to $4000.

So those are the details. Here's the issue. I've noticed what I appears to be common practice as the dealerships (not just GM). They don't want to order a vehicle that is exactly what you want. Instead, they want you to compromise, and purchase a vehicle they have in stock, which or course, doesn't have all the options you want, or isn't the right colour.

I can obviously see by other Posts that have been made in this Section, that a lot of trucks are being ordered to your specification requirements. So, what's the trick to getting the Salesmen to back down when he's trying to push the truck on the lot into my drive way?

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Welcome to C'Fans

Yes, they prefer you buy their inventory, but they can search other dealers for a closer match, and swap them. Tell them it's what you want, or you'll look at a Tacoma or Frontier if not willing to order.
We are in 18 model year now, so Laser blue is gone, replaced by Kinetic blue, so pickings will be slim when you are ready to buy a 17 leftover.
Look at the LT convenience packge, for remote start and fog lights too.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
#1 thats waaay too much for that truck. the 18's are coming out now and 17s should be discounted more

but if you're set on it see if you can get them to the price you want then.....walk away, go home. they'll follow you out the door or call you the next day offering an even a better deal

#2 Under-body Shield, Molded Hood Protector, Front/Rear Splash Guards, Black Bed Rails, Bed Liner (Sprayed), 5" Rectangular Side Steps,Cat-back Exhaust System....really? all of that can be bought much much cheaper elsewhere after the sale

good luck

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Oh yeah! Taxes. The joys of living in Canada, and this Province.

The LT Convenience Package was an option I had selected, but forget to list in my original post. It's included in that price.

I hadn't considered that the model year would also be 2018 by the time I'm ready to make the purchase. I'm not set on the 2017, but as of right now, they're the only model year listed as an option on the GM website. I figure that the truck will remain essentially unchanged, so if I could get the truck at a "model year clearance price", I'd go that route. However, I'll definitely consider the 2018 if it has a few more bells and whistles.

As far as going the Aftermarket route for those options you listed, what are some reputable companies you guys would suggest I look into?

·
Registered
380 Posts
#1 thats waaay too much for that truck. the 18's are coming out now and 17s should be discounted more

but if you're set on it see if you can get them to the price you want then.....walk away, go home. they'll follow you out the door or call you the next day offering an even a better deal

#2 Under-body Shield, Molded Hood Protector, Front/Rear Splash Guards, Black Bed Rails, Bed Liner (Sprayed), 5" Rectangular Side Steps,Cat-back Exhaust System....really? all of that can be bought much much cheaper elsewhere after the sale

good luck
Canadian vehicles always cost more and it’s in Canadian dollars.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Here's what I'm looking to buy. 2017 Colorado LT...

So those are the details. Here's the issue. I've noticed what I appears to be common practice as the dealerships (not just GM). They don't want to order a vehicle that is exactly what you want. Instead, they want you to compromise, and purchase a vehicle they have in stock, which or course, doesn't have all the options you want, or isn't the right colour.

I can obviously see by other Posts that have been made in this Section, that a lot of trucks are being ordered to your specification requirements. So, what's the trick to getting the Salesmen to back down when he's trying to push the truck on the lot into my drive way?
First of all, you can no longer factory order a 2017. The factory isn't making 2017s anymore. The factory is only making 2018s now.

Secondly, you can build a 2018 on the chevrolet.com website. You just have to pay attention and click in the right places. Here is a link to where you want to go:
http://www.chevrolet.com/byo-vc/client/en/US/chevrolet/colorado/2018/colorado/config.

Lastly, there is no trick in getting the salesman to back down. It is easy. You tell him what you want, and that there are no substitutes for your requirements. If he then does not listen and offers an unacceptable substitute, tell him he didn't listen to you, and that he just messed up. Ask him if he wants you to give him another chance for him to listen this time, or if it is best for you to just leave now.

They will listen. You just have to let them know that they are not in charge.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Why not buy a 2015 or 2016 (I'd try for a 2016 to get Android Auto/Apple CarPlay).

I bought a 2015 Canyon SLT with 35,000KM on it about 2 months ago, and paid $34K + tax (Canadian, in Ontario) for it. Along with the base SLT package it came with:

Towing package
Lane departure / front collision warning
Bose audio
Navigation
Spray in bedliner
Fold a Cover G4 tonneau cover
Weathertech bug and window deflectors
Curt trailer brake controller

Now, there's no question that 3 model years difference (2018 vs 2015), the 8 speed transmission and 35,000 fewer KM are worth a good amount of money, but for comparison my truck would be $47,000 + taxes new. For my $13,000 (almost 30%) I was happy to take a lightly used truck.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Oh yeah, and F the dealers. If they don't give you the deal you want walk down the street and find another one. If you want to special order your truck with precisely the options you want, then find someone to take your money.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The problem is you may not be able to order the truck and get the same discount as a truck on the lot. They are gunna be a hell of a lot more motivated to move existing stock then order another truck and still have the same inventory they had before. If you buy a truck that's pretty close(engine, color, interior options) then it wouldn't be that hard to order the rest of the crap and have the dealer put it on or do it yourself. Splash guards and side steps really arnt a big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
you can order those accessories from on-line gm parts suppliers, even amazon or ebay. waaaay cheaper, just have install yourself. can't be that hard since those are dealer installed items anyway
because of the transmission shifting issues with 15-16 i would avoid them. or if you don't mind it and you might get one that doesn't have that issue, vehicle history should identify that, you can hold that over a dealers head for a lower price
also have a dealer look for an off-lease/used '17

i don't foresee any major differences in these trucks for quite a while

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now, there's no question that 3 model years difference (2018 vs 2015), the 8 speed transmission and 35,000 fewer KM are worth a good amount of money, but for comparison my truck would be $47,000 + taxes new. For my $13,000 (almost 30%) I was happy to take a lightly used truck.

I've only driven new purchase vehicles. A 2001 Hyundai Accent GSi. Traded that little hatchback in 2 years later for a 2003 Hyundai Elantra. Drove that for 10 years, then sold it on Kijiji and used my money to buy a new 2012 Sonata. As you can see, I like Hyundai. Turned out to be cheap AND reliable. In all honesty, if Hyundai were to release a Colorado sized truck, it would definitely be on my list...

The 8 speed transmission is a real incentive. I'm used to driving relatively fuel-efficient mid-sized (or smaller) sedans. This transmission probably goes a long way in bringing the fuel economy of the truck closer to what I've been used to for the last 17 years. 35,000 kms is approximately 3.5 years of driving for me. I only live 4km from work. My wife's Santa Fe has been a family hauler for the past 2 years.

My GM Supplier Discount is also lessening the blow of buying new.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I've only driven new purchase vehicles. A 2001 Hyundai Accent GSi. Traded that little hatchback in 2 years later for a 2003 Hyundai Elantra. Drove that for 10 years, then sold it on Kijiji and used my money to buy a new 2012 Sonata. As you can see, I like Hyundai. Turned out to be cheap AND reliable. In all honesty, if Hyundai were to release a Colorado sized truck, it would definitely be on my list...

The 8 speed transmission is a real incentive. I'm used to driving relatively fuel-efficient mid-sized (or smaller) sedans. This transmission probably goes a long way in bringing the fuel economy of the truck closer to what I've been used to for the last 17 years. 35,000 kms is approximately 3.5 years of driving for me. I only live 4km from work. My wife's Santa Fe has been a family hauler for the past 2 years.

My GM Supplier Discount is also lessening the blow of buying new.

4K off is what, 9% off msrp? That doesn't seem so great to me. Locally the V6's seem to be discounted $5-6k USD on a $35-40k truck. I would think you could get 15% off if you look a little bit or maybe more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's a link to GM Canada's FAQ on the GM Preferred Pricing program, which now encompasses the Supplier Discount program of old.... In a nutshell, I'd pay what a GM employee would pay. The question is how do I ensure that the Salesmen is being honest. Hell, if it was a 15% discount, that'd be awesome. MSRP plus my selected options = $44,435. 15% of that would be $6665. That would almost nullify the cost of the options.
I really don't know what to expect as far as the discount percentage.

GM Preferred Pricing - Frequently Asked Questions

*Current employees of eligible Preferred Pricing companies can purchase or lease an eligible new Chevrolet, Buick, GMC or Cadillac at GM Employee Price plus applicable fees and taxes. GM Employee Price is defined as the dealer's price of the base price of the vehicle, plus options, Program Participation fees, REP fees and dealer fees (if applicable) as shown on the invoice. This calculation excludes taxes, license and registration fees, insurance, personal property registry fees and freight charges. Model restrictions may apply. See participating GM Dealer for all program details. GM may modify or terminate this program in whole or in part without notice.

·
Registered
52 Posts

In real world driving the only way to even approach mid-size sedan mileage is getting the diesel.

Considering some of the super deals out there, how does buying in Canada compare to buying one across the border and paying import duty and tax in Canada ? Does it affect anything with warranty or service ? I know my truck doesn't even have km/h on the gauge face.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
With the exchange rate I'd be paying something like 30 cents on the dollar. So a $35000 USD truck would be $45500 CDN. And thats before taxes and duties. Also, I'd much prefer to keep some of my purchase money in my Canadian economy.

I was down in Columbia Tennessee 3 times in 2015/2016. I went down there to train operators on the line they installed to supply GM. MY U.S counterparts were making $17/hr. Where as I make $27/hr CDN. I think knowing that kind of keeps things in perspective.

·
Registered
72 Posts
canadian dealers wont move off MSRP as much as i've heard the american ones will. i struggled for 1.5k off my CDN$ 46k 2017 4x4 diesel crew long box. maybe it was the diesel maybe it's demand.. there aren't many 2017 colorados left on lots. with a factory ordered 2018 i suspect you'll have an even harder time. be happy you get the discounts you do.

also, the 0.99% & 2500 dealer incentive is current (has be going since august i believe), prior to that they were offering nothing on colorados/canyons -- there's always incentives on full size silverados though. in any case no guarantee these current incentives will be around in 6 months and if i were to guess, they won't be until they start clearing out 2018s. i think their regular 84 month rate is 2.49%. you may want to search for a 2017 on a lot somewhere in southern ontario or even quebec with as close to what you're looking for and jump on it before all the 2017s are gone. i jumped on mine when the 0% / 60 month + 2500 incentive came in august.

I know my truck doesn't even have km/h on the gauge face.
it does if you switch the settings from imperial to metric.. the entire gauge face changes and you won't have mph on it. freaked me out first time i tried it. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can't speak for else where but I know here on Vancouver Island the delivery allowance is 3k.

When I factory ordered my 2017 Colorado z71 extended cab I still got 2k off. As far as factory ordering a truck if they don't have a model the matches exactly what you want you tell them your placing factory order and if they won't give you what you feel is a fair discount just check with other dealerships.

Usually you are asked to put down a non refundable deposit usually 1k. Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Here's a link to GM Canada's FAQ on the GM Preferred Pricing program, which now encompasses the Supplier Discount program of old.... In a nutshell, I'd pay what a GM employee would pay. The question is how do I ensure that the Salesmen is being honest. Hell, if it was a 15% discount, that'd be awesome. MSRP plus my selected options = $44,435. 15% of that would be $6665. That would almost nullify the cost of the options.
I really don't know what to expect as far as the discount percentage.

GM Preferred Pricing - Frequently Asked Questions

*Current employees of eligible Preferred Pricing companies can purchase or lease an eligible new Chevrolet, Buick, GMC or Cadillac at GM Employee Price plus applicable fees and taxes. GM Employee Price is defined as the dealer's price of the base price of the vehicle, plus options, Program Participation fees, REP fees and dealer fees (if applicable) as shown on the invoice. This calculation excludes taxes, license and registration fees, insurance, personal property registry fees and freight charges. Model restrictions may apply. See participating GM Dealer for all program details. GM may modify or terminate this program in whole or in part without notice.
I've found that calling the Dealer Sales Manager is a good way to go when doing GM Employee or Supplier buying. Often, but not always, a sales person is going to push a vehicle they have in inventory.

That said, in recent years I have ordered 3 new GM vehicles (2010 - 2017) and always got what I wanted and the price was based on my discount plus any current incentives when it arrived. For an order out truck within your 6 month time frame it would pay to try and see what historical annual incentives GM usually offers. Also, if you have a GM card there are sometimes "top off" $$$ in addition to other incentives as well as Bonus Cash and others. OF course, in ordering out a truck it is difficult to estimate it's delivery to you. But being Canada, 8 to 9 weeks seems to be usual depending on the time of year and other factors. Then again, it could only take 6 weeks.

You will almost always do better in price taking a truck off the lot that a dealer has. Also, you can check area inventory within whatever miles you wish and see if there is a truck that fits your needs. You probably already know about that.

We ordered a 2017 on 1-5-2017, it was built on 2-14-2017, and I took delivery on 2-22-2017. It is a Colorado LT with both the Convenience and Luxury Packages.

Here is the detailed order. The final price shown also includes Bonus Cash and another rebate amount we received at the time of delivery which gave us another $1,500 off of MSRP.

Generally, on the Twins . . you are doing well to get 10% to 14% off MSRP depending on many conditions. Here in the U.S. there have been the 20% off deals at times for clearance, but often not on trucks that have the most desirable options or trim levels.

2017 Chevrolet Colorado
Crew Cab Pickup - Short Bed, Rear Wheel Drive
Crew Cab Short Box 2-Wheel Drive LT

GM Employee Discount Price After Offer1.: $32,258.17
Base MSRP
$28,565.00
Bodystyle
Crew Cab Pickup - Short Bed
Trim
Rear Wheel Drive, Crew Cab Short Box 2-Wheel Drive LT
Color & Wheels
Cyber Gray Metallic $0.00
Interior
Jet Black/Dark Ash, Leather-appointed seat trim $950.00
Options
Package
LT Preferred Equipment Group $0.00
Package
LT Convenience Package $690.00
Package

Luxury Package-Chrome $1,080.00
Package
Safety Package $395.00

Mechanical
3.6L V6 DI DOHC VVT engine $1,235.00
Mechanical
8-speed automatic transmission $150.00
Mechanical

Rear axle, 3.42 ratio $0.00
Mechanical
Automatic locking rear differential $325.00
Mechanical
Trailering Equipment $250.00

Assist steps, 5" rectangular chrome $725.00
Exterior
Projector-type headlamps $0.00
Exterior Fog lamps $0.00
Exterior
Outside heated power-adjustable chrome mirrors $0.00
Exterior
Sliding rear window, manual $0.00
Exterior
Door handles, Chrome $0.00
Exterior
EZ-Lift and Lower Tailgate $0.00
Interior
Front bucket seats $0.00
Interior
Power front passenger seat (4-way) $0.00
Interior
Power driver lumbar control $0.00
Interior
Power front passenger lumbar control $0.00
Interior

Interior
Entertainment
Chevrolet MyLink®1 Radio with 8"
diagonal color touch-screen. : $0.00
Safety-Interior

Base MSRP1. $28,565.00
MSRP as Configured1. $35,305.00
GM Employee Discount Price $32,258.17
GM Employee Discount Price After Offer1. $32,258.17 - ($1,500 Bonus and other rebate) $30,758.17 + tax, tiltle, fees.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I've found that calling the Dealer Sales Manager is a good way to go when doing GM Employee or Supplier buying. Often, but not always, a sales person is going to push a vehicle they have in inventory.
After putting in my years in the auto industry and also buying many new vehicles during and after being out, my experience is the exact opposite. If you find a good salesperson, they will try to give you exactly what you want, but they get berated by their sales manager who pushes them to sell what's in stock. It pisses me off. I've lit up a few sales managers for doing that. I never did that when I was in their position, but unfortunately there are way too many dinosaurs left in the industry.

Too many of these guys still in auto sales management

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.