Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey yall, been a while but im back.

Just wanted to pop in here and say that, and ask a question.

Anyone running the Alpine W205 Unit?

been seriously looking at this unit for about 3 days now. Just curoius if anyone has it. I have looked at the Pioneer AVIC-D3 as well as the AVIC-Z2. So far the D3 is out of the runnings as it is DVD based nav only.

The Z2 has my interest as it is hard disk based but for the money i think i will lean more towards the W205 as it handles the GPS a little different. It uses the stand alone walk-around unit that docks into it and leaves the option of CD music AND nav at the same time. And, as an added bonus i can remove the GPS and use it on the motorcycles when not driving the truck!

The only reason i bring this up is because i have a confession to make...

I TURNED TO THE DARK SIDE!

i just a week ago baught an 08 F150 LOADED sans the nav so this was going to be the option for nav.

I still have the rado though. the wife is driving it and it will be the new "toy" with all kinds of suspension and wheel mods coming now that it is not my daily driver.

well anyway, just looking for opinions on the Alpine unit.

- J

·
Registered
191 Posts
what questions are you looking to have answered? i have the w205 and the blackbird 2.

·
Banned
433 Posts
i have the dnx7100 and i did my research when i purchased and talked to lots of people that owned them all and that was the definite choice.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Not as many options as i was hoping for as far as crossovers and equalizer but i can get over that. I turned off pulse touch as i dont like it. it is easy to use, i also have hd radio and xm radio and an ipod cable. all work flawless and the large screen is a must for navigating through ipod stuff. it is a great headunit. as far as the blackbird goes it is convenient not to have a gps attached to the window, but i think the garmins and tom toms are probably better than the blackbird. it sucks in handheld mode as the battery life is the killer there. its a must to have it plugged in for longer trips. mine conveniently stopped working the other day, i need to call alpine. the thing wont boot up the splash screen just appears and disappears. the external antenna makes a big difference as the built in one is weak. other than that it was great when docked in the w205. anything else ask and i will try to answer.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Blue06Colorado said:
Not as many options as i was hoping for as far as crossovers and equalizer but i can get over that. I turned off pulse touch as i dont like it. it is easy to use, i also have hd radio and xm radio and an ipod cable. all work flawless and the large screen is a must for navigating through ipod stuff. it is a great headunit. as far as the blackbird goes it is convenient not to have a gps attached to the window, but i think the garmins and tom toms are probably better than the blackbird. it sucks in handheld mode as the battery life is the killer there. its a must to have it plugged in for longer trips. mine conveniently stopped working the other day, i need to call alpine. the thing wont boot up the splash screen just appears and disappears. the external antenna makes a big difference as the built in one is weak. other than that it was great when docked in the w205. anything else ask and i will try to answer.
Excellent! The handheld info about the battery is good news. So if i want to use on a motorcycle then i will need to find power.

How is the PulseTouch thing? looks kinda cool, but in the back of my mind im thinking it is one more thing to break... not sure though.

Does the blackbird charge off the HU when docked or do you need to worry about the battery? im sure the answer is yes, but you see some things out there where someone overlooks the blatently obvious so i just want to make sure.

how does the unit actually sound in terms of quality? Im not terribly concerned about crossovers and EQ issues as im not doing anything other then the stock sound setup in the truck right now so no aftermarket subs or any of that BS. The ford came with a factory sub under the seat that sounds surprisingly good for a stock setup.

- J

·
Registered
191 Posts
pulsetouch i dont like, basically whenever you touch the screen it will give it a shake that you can feel. Just turn it off it wont be an issue. I thought the blackbird would charge when docked but it doesnt seem to. But mine may be defective, i think i will be sending it back, i still need to call alpine. just keep it docked you will be fine. it would work in a motorcycle with the cradle as long as you could mount it to something. then just find power, standard auto connector or cut it and hardwire it. sound quality is really good, i cant complain for having stock speakers.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Blue06Colorado said:
pulsetouch i dont like, basically whenever you touch the screen it will give it a shake that you can feel. Just turn it off it wont be an issue. I thought the blackbird would charge when docked but it doesnt seem to. But mine may be defective, i think i will be sending it back, i still need to call alpine. just keep it docked you will be fine. it would work in a motorcycle with the cradle as long as you could mount it to something. then just find power, standard auto connector or cut it and hardwire it. sound quality is really good, i cant complain for having stock speakers.
Definately not helping my decision. lol. actually been now as of 2 days ago been looking long and hard at the Eclipse AVN5495 or something like that that has the 30GB hard drive so you can rip CDs to it. I contacted 2 of my distributors and can get a much better deal on the Eclipse unit but install... that and XM is not an option except with the Audiovox tuner and it doesnt integrate like it should (or so im told).

I am still leaning towards the Alpine unit though... How is the fit? Also, do you have the bluetooth? and do you know how the iPod connector works with iPhone?

I cant seem to find anywhere that actually has a powered up display to actually play around with it - either actually.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I dont know anything on the eclipse..

The fit is good, lots of wires behind mine, not too tight. there is a metal bracket that sticks up in the back that you need to remove. I just pushed and pulled on it till it broke off. if you've had the factory unit out you'll know what im talkin about. The bluetooth is integrated into the blackbird. worked pretty good. my phone wasnt fully compatible so it didnt download my phone book or incoming/missed/calls which i didnt like. it worked good though, it will automatically connect to the phone as long as the phone is paired and within range when the truck is turned on. i do not have an iphone so i cant answer that one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts