Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find this confusing since the truck is delivered with organic oil and does not specify the use of synthetic. Personally I'd never run organic oil much over 5000-6000 miles. I know Ford has recently upped their oem recommendation to 7000 mile oil change intervals. The article said Ford does not use any type of onboard oil life monitor because they feel their customers prefer a standart recommended interval.

All said, I run organic in my GFs x-terra and change it ever 5k because it's easy for her to remember.

In my truck I run Mobil 1 extended performance synthetic 5w30 (the 15,000 mile stuff) and change it every 10,000 miles. It's been simple system for me, but I always reach 10k w/o a peep from the oil life monitor. On our trucks you cannot check the % remaining like I can on my Corvette.

On that car I run Amsoil 5w40 and, w/o track use, the OLM runs down at 7,000-9,000 miles depending on conditions and driving style. In the car I can pull up the % remaining on the dash and check it. Furthermore, when it gets to 10% it will flash a "change oil soon" messange and shows "change oil now" at 0%.

So... on a truck like this I figure the OLM should be tuned for organic oil users... so assuming that shouldn't it be telling me to change the oil arond 5k w/ a max of 7 to 8k?

I'm going to stick with my 10k intervals as I'm a firm believer in extended drain intervals with synthetics and proper filters, but again find it odd that the OLM isn't kicking off on me.

Right now I'm at 85XX on this round of oil and nothing's popped up. Maybe this go around I wont reset the OLM and see when it finally says something.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I can't answer your question, but I would like to know if you go 10k on one filter and if so what brand do you use? I have never used synthetics but I am considering it on this truck.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^ I run the Mobil 1 extended performance filter. Some say you need to swap filters faster, but I'm simply assuming if mobil 1 markets the filter as working for their 15k oil it should be designed to do it.

On my Corvette I run a K&N racing filter and go 7-9k if I'm not running a track event.

I checked my oil at 5k and it hadn't used a drop... I was impressed. Chevy V8s all use about a quart every 4-6k at least the Corvettes do.

·
Registered
13,487 Posts
I went about 10K miles before the Oil Change message came up on mine.

I change my oil every 5000 miles regardless, but was curious as to how long it'd take to tell me it needed to be changed.

·
Registered
558 Posts
i use full synthetic 5w30 (penzoil, castrol, or mobil1) with a stock ac delco filter. i change my oil every 5k miles and i just reset the OLM every time i change it. i dont trust that thing.

·
Registered
308 Posts
It took 12,000 miles for my oil change message to show up. Not that I waited that long...

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^ Gotcha... so I guess GM will warranty the truck with extended drain intervals on orgainic oil... bad move IMO. That's fine and normal with synthetic oil.

Oh well I'll stick to my 10k intervals and keep everything documented for whenever I sell it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm wondering if I should try my luck at seeing how long I should go with mine??

·
Registered
382 Posts
I remember reading in my manual that if you get to 100k mi without getting the change oil reading that you should then change your oil. That imo is crazy. What if the sensor is bad or whatever they use to dictate your oil change. I change mine every 3k mi. It doesn't cost much and I plan on having this truck for a long time.
It's probably the best preventative maintenence for any motorized vehicle.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Zdog said:
I remember reading in my manual that if you get to 100k mi without getting the change oil reading that you should then change your oil. That imo is crazy. What if the sensor is bad or whatever they use to dictate your oil change. I change mine every 3k mi. It doesn't cost much and I plan on having this truck for a long time.
It's probably the best preventative maintenence for any motorized vehicle.
You had better change it way before 100K. The Amsoil only lasts around 16K for these trucks.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
I change my AMSOIL 0w30 every 10k miles. The OLM pops every 13k or so in my driving conditions - Washington DC traffic, towing, offroading.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
In the 50k miles I've put on my truck I think the oil life monitor has only gone off 3 times, I don't take it into consideration at all. I change my oil every 7-8k, running Mobil 1 with the OEM filter.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^ Thanks guys... sounds like the OLM is a 1/2 assed attempt compared to the system in the Corvette. That one works great and I've been using it for years. I'll stick to my 10k.

And FYI the owners manual says to follow the OLM or 1 year, whichever comes first... not 100k or 10k or 35.6769k.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: I'm over 10,000 miles now and nothing still. I just can't understand where GM gets off allowing the truck to go so long on organic oil... maybe even I don't know what I'm talking about, but every car that is approved for extended drain intervals from the factory (Corvette, Porsche, BMW, etc) is running synthetic oil.

Given that I don't think I'll trust the Canyon's version of the OLM and keep to my 10k interval and change it tomorrow. I plan on keeping this truck a long time.

·
Registered
591 Posts
If memory serves right, mine came up at around 11,500. Now I reset it at each change. I normally run 7500 miles on Valvoline Durablend and PF-61. This change, I had a shop change it a bit early (6000 miles) due to really low temps, and leaving for spring break in a few weeks. I would have hit the change interval on the road, and the old stuff was really dark. Finally got the fuel filter changed out too.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Guess I'm crazy...use Mobil-1 and change oil & filter every 5-6K.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I actually had a nice little chat with the guy at the GM Quicklube place when I had mine changed last... he said that if/when your OLM tells you that it's time to change your oil, you're WAAAAY past due... I stick with 3-4k for my changes, b/c I've run a motor dry (leak) and have no desire to experience that again :p

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
If the guy at your local quicky lube told you 3-4k he was just looking out for his own best interest. For the most part 3-4k is too often for newer vehicles. That's the interval you used for old carbed cars that let a lot more contaminates into the oil.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts