Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Colorado z71, 2wd, 3.5l engine
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum. I have a 2006 Colorado Z-71, and I have searched for over an hour and can't find where anyone has experienced the same problem I am having. So, if this problem has been posted before, please forgive my not being able to find it. My not being able to find it may be because I am not really certain what to name the symptom (hecklers will love this! :wink2:) I have searched for "Ignition chime", "test chime", "system chime". All return zero results. If I search for "chime" I am presented with a list of at least 200 posts, none of which seem to relate to my Colorado's symptom.

So, I will call my Colorado's symptom "Ignition chime". Please feel free to tell me what I really should call it if I am wrong (hecklers will love this too! :wink2:)

The problem is, there are no chimes while going through the self test when the key is turned to the "run" position. Up until a few days ago, when the key was turned to the "run" position, I would hear 3 chimes as part of the system check. This would take about the same length of time as it takes for the fuel pump to energize and pressurize. I always wait for that to happen before starting the engine. There are those who don't do this ... it's just my habit.

Why is it important to me for this feature to work correctly? It's because with it not working, if I am driving down the road, and have some kind of trigger which should make the chimes sound when an idiot light comes on, I want to know.

So, here is what I know, and what I have looked at so far:

• I have a factory radio/cd player.
  • When I get in the truck and put the key in the ignition with the door open, the chime operates as designed. The chime works just fine.
  • The seat belt chimes work just fine too.
  • When I turn the key to the "run" position, all the self-check lights in the dash operate normally. All of the idiot lights "light" for a few seconds, and then they all go out except for the CEL and BAT lights. The CEL and BAT lights go out as soon as I start the engine.
  • I checked the radio chime volume level, and it functions as designed. I can change it from Loud to Normal and back again, yet still no ignition chime.

I have seen more than a fair amount of heckling about chimes, mostly people want to disable them. So ... I expect to see some of the same about my wanting to have my chimes working as designed. I just hope that someone else has experienced this, can tell me what needs to be done to fix it, and whatever the problem is will not be $$$$ to fix.

Thanks in advance for your constructive comments and thoughtful help.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I won't heckle ya but I do have to admit I clicked on this to say I wish mine didn't work. Doesn't bother me normally but sometimes I want to leave the radio on and the doors open. The chime is annoying. :)

Reactions: borderbanditjoe57

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
:welcome to C'Fans.

There isn't a lot of detailed information about the chime system for these trucks, either in the Owner's Manual or the Service Manual. I rarely wait for the chimes when starting, but if I do, mine chimes five times. I don't find the chimes annoying, but the ridiculous noisy turn signals are.

If the engine hasn't been started, I would suspect that the BCM would be the module that initiates the chimes. Has there been any work done on the truck recently, or has the battery been disconnected? Strange electrical problems are sometimes associated with a low/failing battery.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.