Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the right section so my apologies. This fall we have had two pretty nasty wet, slushy snow storms, the first if which I posted a problem with ice build up behind the front fender liners. A week later we had another similar storm that was followed by some freezing temps and followed again, by some barely above freezing temps for several days. The problems I have witnessed have been huge chunks of ice that have built up under the truck, making noises, clunks, and what have you for days. After 5 days of above freezing temps, I think I pulled the last football sized chunk of ice out from a cross member. I realize that these storms are not the norm as I have not had this problem previously but I guess I am wondering if skid plates would improve the situation or make it worse. I've wanted to get some OEM plates because I do go mild off roading from time to time but winter hiway driving is my main use. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Do they use salt on your roads?
I wonder if that little air dam in front of the rear wheel causes slush to fling up and contribute to the build up there?
I hate to say it, but I thinks that's just mama nature there.
Have any pics of the ice?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do they use salt on your roads?
I wonder if that little air dam in front of the rear wheel causes slush to fling up and contribute to the build up there?
I hate to say it, but I thinks that's just mama nature there.
Have any pics of the ice?
Not much salt on the hiway. The second time around, most of the ice was under the entire truck, not just the wheel wells. I should have taken pictures but just picture 25 -30 softball to football sized chunks falling onto my driveway. Have to agree, mother nature throwing her weight around.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Do you have your air dam in place?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
skid plates will help to lesson the ice build up between the frames but not the area between frame and body

I had the same thing happen last year whenit was just cold enough that it was slush then got colder that night.

·
Registered
837 Posts
20181126_113331.jpg

That's pretty normal. Once it gets above freezing, drive it through a car wash and most of it will fall off.

I think skid plates do help. It's tough for stuff to stick to a smooth surface. And I would think that the factory air dam would some as well. Look how much collects on it, and is blocked by it.

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm surprised you have so much slush on the sides, especially since your truck is so low and has mudflaps and running boards.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts