Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of now i have not problems with my engine that alot of people seem to be fearing a using as a reason to bash the new I5 engine. I am personally geting a little tired of many peoples bias against the engine (not so much from this forum but from other sites and personal converstion w/ people) because of a just a few occurances. I understand that when you buy a new car you expect it to be perfect but not everything is perfect. Personally about 10 years ago in '93 my parents bought a brand new cavalier z24 with the 3.1 liter v6 which at the time was used in many of gm's cars and was proven to be reliable, after just 500 miles it developed an overheating problem and we eventually found that the block was cracked from a bad casting and that it was the cause of the problem. Every make and model of cars have a fair share of vehicles that end up with a bad engine or tranny its just the way things happen with something as complex as motor where just one-ten-thousandth of a inch can make the difference between a perfect engine and one that will go bad after very little use. Sure it is a new engine in a completely new truck and the I5 is a very uncommon set up but i am sure that gm would not dump millions into developing a truck that they were not completly confident in.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
I agree. I haven't had any problems yet (knock on wood). It's frustrating though hearing what problems others are having, and hoping I don't have the same problems.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
I was gonna say that in your other thread JimmyP, but didn't want to be a d*ck. ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've got only 800 miles on mine, so we'll see . BUT this I5 will be a BENCHMARK engine that in future years, ALL mid and compact PU powerplants will be judged. The day the first I5 rolled off the line...ALL OTHER'S BECAME OBSOLETE..PERIOD ! Do ya get the idea that I like and believe in this little baby.....YOU BET YOUR A** !!!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I don't think the new engine will have any more problems than any other new engine. The same goes for the truck itself. Sure there will be a few growing pains and a few theings will come to light that may need addressed, but I think the L-5 is here to stay. I think we would all be surprised at how much better a lot of people would be about accepting the truck if it had been a 3rd generation S-10 instead of being re-named. Lets face it, there are some who are just looking for any reason to say that the S-10 is better. In their defense, the 4.3 is a great engine and will be hard to beat.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
two big thumbs up for my I5 today!!
the first is for when i was crusin down there highway bout 40 or 45 just off a light when some macho guy in his 00-03 (i'm guessin) dodge dakota whipped out around me and then got next to me...kinda got the idea of what he wanted...so i gave him a run...haha looked more like a 'vette racing a cavalier...well hopefully i made his day letting him know his dodge can't touch the colorado :)
the second is when i filled up today....16.9mpg....thats incredible for me...much better than the 13.2's i was pulling in my blazer and the 15.5 i got on my first fill up...so there are just a couple more of my testimonials about this great engine!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I Agree

but no one should get ignored when things are going wrong. They don't need to be told that it might be a few months before we fix it when you're driving down the road with all this whining and rattling that not only you hear, but people hear from a block away. They should have known up front about problems like this if they did enough testing. They should be willing to change my engine right away for the problem I have, and they just keep putting me off. I love the style of the truck and everything else about it, but I am very close to forcing them to buy this back. I waited nearly 7 years to buy a new truck and got exactly what I wanted and now this. GM needs to get their act together and remedy this problem immediately.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
but no one should get ignored when things are going wrong. They don't need to be told that it might be a few months before we fix it when you're driving down the road with all this whining and rattling that not only you hear, but people hear from a block away. They should have known up front about problems like this if they did enough testing. They should be willing to change my engine right away for the problem I have, and they just keep putting me off. I love the style of the truck and everything else about it, but I am very close to forcing them to buy this back. I waited nearly 7 years to buy a new truck and got exactly what I wanted and now this. GM needs to get their act together and remedy this problem immediately.

Man that su##s i hope they work something out with you, gm is dropping the ball big time here nothing like spending 30k on a new rig to have the motor go and have dealers giving the run around,im sorry but anything but a brand new truck would be uneceptible for me most those guys the dealers hire are straight from jiffy lube would you want them installing a new engine on a truck you owe more then 20 k on?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had a similar problem with a new Mazda ( Ranger) in '98. It had a knock at 2-3 k rpm's. Got worse with time. At 4k miles and a battle with Mazda,they agreed the engine had a problem. But only a new short block was offered, not a complete engine. I fought for a new engine but my patience RAN OUT. I took the short block and got rid of the truck. I WILL NEVER , EVER DEAL WITH MADZA AGAIN. END of story. I HOPE GM does RIGHT with these issues. They have a great deal riding on the 355's. The time is NOW for them to get their HEADS OUT OF THEIR A**** !!!

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
We had a '93 Corsica with the 3.1 V6 and it was stout.
Went to 130K before being sold without any problems.
It even hit the speed governor a few times... :roll:
(Which was 110... but that 3.1 was still pulling hard!)

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I like the people driving the '03 crew cab S-10s that turn their heads away from these trucks.

"OOPS"

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
haha...good call.

That truck is nasty. Chevy engineered up something real quick to catch on to the craze. It ended up looking like a Blazer that wanted to be a pickup and ended up the size of a strech limo.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Re: I Agree

tarboroheel1 said:
What problem? Sounds more like a dealer problem than a GM problem. What's going wrong with your truck?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
thehemi said:
JimmyP said:
You know what it is. All those S-10 fanatics like my bro are jealous that a 5 cylinder makes more power than them:p
The torque output of the 5-cyl does not make me jealous. :wink:
Me neither...
nor am I jealous of the brakes for the Z71's..
nor the full size spare that is not fullsize for the Z71's..

Should I continue? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously I do hope that everyone enjoys their Colorado/Canyon. But right now as it is configured, it will not be the truck for me. But who knows what GM will come out with in the future.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I'm a couple years out from needing a new truck.
(Not that I will replace my S10... maybe add to it.)
I'm curious to see how the I5 holds up for the next
couple of years. I would love an I5/5-Sp Ext Sport.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I agree... I am not jealous of the new Colorados. In my opinion after driving a fully loaded Z71 I was happy to get in my ZR2 and head home with my head high. I have had Chevy trucks for years...but with the lack of items, options, ect. in comparison to my current ZR2, I just cant bring myself to continue with a Colorado.

I have a new F150 FX4 on order with more options than I will ever need. Its been fun, but my run with Chevy trucks is over.

Main thing is to be happy with your truck no matter what make, model, ect...

D

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree, to me the make has very little to do with it. A chevy fan can tell you 10 people who have had nightmares with fords and a ford fan can tell you 10 people who have had trouble with GM. It all depends on what you are in the market for.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts