Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
#19-NA-153 seems to indicate they all have the same issue with failing converters. Granted that one is only for converters that have totally failed but it references 6L50/80/90.

I hadn't noticed this TSB, new as of Dec. 2020.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had the converter replaced in my Canyon diesel just shy of 60,000. It started acting up again after another 40,000 and the trans shop I took it to suggested just changing the fluid. Did a fluid change myself and shudder was gone. That was around 10,000 miles ago and no issues since.
What fluid did you use for the swap? JW since some people seem to have tried the 8SPD fluid with good success.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If I'm not mistaken this is the first 6 speed major failure we have seen here????
Nope......Mine went into the dealer for a new 6L50 last week....still waiting for it to arrive.....happened at exactly 150000....i also run a PC....curious how the new tranny will react to a PC......

·
Registered
9,753 Posts
Nope......Mine went into the dealer for a new 6L50 last week....still waiting for it to arrive.....happened at exactly 150000....i also run a PC....curious how the new tranny will react to a PC......
150K that's not too bad.
When did you do/how often service on it? How much is the bill, do you know yet?

·
Registered
101 Posts
150K that's not too bad.
When did you do/how often service on it? How much is the bill, do you know yet?
I bought it with 99000.....added a $3K warranty for another 36K.....I maintain it very well...never did service the trans but had a TSB applied for shudder early on.....added a Pedal Commander which helped considerably. Lots of slipping lately...30 miles into an 8/hr ride home i got a flashing CEL and major slipping. Pretty much grenaded itself....got a damn ticket on the way back to the dealer I had just passed. In the end its gonna be $4800 out the door with a 3/yr 36K warranty anywhere in the USA......I travel the country building Chick-fil-A's so that will be beneficial. I am curious how a new tranny will react to the PC since it seems most of us use the PC to help with the shifting issues. As of today its been a week....tranny hasn't arrived at the dealer yet. Prolly gonna add a new serpentine belt while its there. Oh and the dealer tossed in a loaner "because of how much i am spending"......seriously.......thanks for that.

·
Registered
9,753 Posts
I bought it with 99000.....added a $3K warranty for another 36K.....I maintain it very well...never did service the trans but had a TSB applied for shudder early on.....added a Pedal Commander which helped considerably. Lots of slipping lately...30 miles into an 8/hr ride home i got a flashing CEL and major slipping. Pretty much grenaded itself....got a damn ticket on the way back to the dealer I had just passed. In the end its gonna be $4800 out the door with a 3/yr 36K warranty anywhere in the USA......I travel the country building Chick-fil-A's so that will be beneficial. I am curious how a new tranny will react to the PC since it seems most of us use the PC to help with the shifting issues. As of today its been a week....tranny hasn't arrived at the dealer yet. Prolly gonna add a new serpentine belt while its there. Oh and the dealer tossed in a loaner "because of how much i am spending"......seriously.......thanks for that.
Has it had spark plugs yet? If not better do it now. They are due at about 100k IIRC.
Do you carry tools? If not maybe you need a car for travel. That sounds like lots of travel building Chick fil A's.
People love that place and I bet you build a lot of them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Has it had spark plugs yet? If not better do it now. They are due at about 100k IIRC.
Do you carry tools? If not maybe you need a car for travel. That sounds like lots of travel building Chick fil A's.
People love that place and I bet you build a lot of them.
I just had the plugs replaced about 2 months ago along with a coolant flush/fill and also had the ECM cleared. Should be good after this....I was shopping a 2020 Ext ZR2 but looking like I will have this one for awhile. Truck is required for my job. I'm a Superintendent and run the entire job. I carry a small gangbox full of tools so a car isn't an option. I love my truck........

·
Registered
2018 zr2 ccsb duramax
394 Posts
Just got back from dealer. Trans service rear diff fluid change and fuel filter change 630 bucks... have to go back Monday for airbag.

Reactions: White016

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I reinstalled my PC and I am concerned since doing so I noticed a slipping shift sometimes from 2-3. I always keep my PC set at City -2. I may have to play with that setting or remove it because the week+ after the new tranny without my PC it shifted fine but the power was dog-ass slow.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think the slip that is programmed in contributes to fluid breakdown. I swapped my factor fill at 30k and it was nasty. There was an immediate improvement in shift quality for me. I plan to do 30k fluid changes for the life of the truck.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think the slip that is programmed in contributes to fluid breakdown. I swapped my factor fill at 30k and it was nasty. There was an immediate improvement in shift quality for me. I plan to do 30k fluid changes for the life of the truck.
Definitely and changing out the fluid would be expected to help with both TCC shudder and shift quality as you mentioned.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I changed my fluid out twice in a week using instructions found on here. It did nothing, this was at 65 or 70k? I took it to a dealer to have it checked out. supposedly put HP LV mobile 1 in and really saw now change still, but it got colder so the warped brake rotor feeling went away. Now that it got warm again, its all back as if nothing was done. This truck has been a never ending nightmare with this vibration that nobody can figure out.

How on earth can i diagnose this TC to see if its working the way it should or not? What constitutes for "shudder" my entire truck "shudders" at high speeds over 70mph and even worse if im braking at any speed over 70mph once its heated up. Esp if i drive it hard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2016 Diesel Colorado, and the TCM (right b4 warranty expire) and ECM (under warranty) were replaced, and the ECM was reprogrammed a couple of times over the life of the warranty. 8k miles after the powertrain warranty expired and a year after the TCM was replaced, my truck continued to have shudder issues and it also started to have violent jerking when shifting. Long story short, transmission needed to be completely replaced....after lengthy talks with the dealer and GM, was able to get them to rectify the problem properly and replace the transmission under warranty. Truck shifts and drives like a dream, something it has never done before. I love the truck, but not sure I am willing to take the chance of it staying shudder free.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too had the clunk shift torque convertor shutter. at 110,000 I had a filter change and synthetic fluid with Lubguard additive added. Night and day difference I put 1,000 miles a week on the truck and shifts like brand new no shutter. Very happy with it. If you have changed the filter and fluid put Ludeguard additive in it this stuff I sold for years and it's the real deal. This was all done by my transmission guy.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have the water gurgle also in my dash what the f is that?
air in the heater core getting flushed out when you start it

theres a thread around here somewhere on it. just fill your coolant tank 1/4" or so above the "full" mark next time its cold itll likely fix it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
air in the heater core getting flushed out when you start it

theres a thread around here somewhere on it. just fill your coolant tank 1/4" or so above the "full" mark next time its cold itll likely fix it.
Just had that on my truck and had the coolant tank replaced under warranty the the service tech said there is a leak that causes the coolant to dissipate - they also had to flush/refill it to get the air out of it. Refilling it might be just a temporary fix if its leaking.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts