Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve never owned a truck and I thought the second generation Colorado was gonna be the one. Then I started to read about all the Colorado’s quality issues and transmission problems. And now I’m doubting whether it’s a good idea to buy one. I know reading the Internet can make things seem worse than they really are. It’s where people go to complain. I’m wondering if it’s not as bad as I think or what I am being led to believe based on what I am reading. Is there any way of knowing what percentage of Colorados have transmission issues? Is it 10%, is it 50%, or is it all of them. I think to myself, “if I pull the trigger maybe I’ll get lucky.” Since I would be buying a used one, Is there anyway of knowing ahead of time if it has had issues? I’m looking at 2016-2018, V6, four door with sb, LT or Z71, 4x4 optional.
Thanks all.

·
Registered
10,672 Posts
2016 has 6 speed transmission. The 8 speed is only on V6 2017 and later.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Every brand has their issues and reading forum complaints can make them all sound terrible. The transmission issue was fairly wide spread, but GM seems to have finally solved most of the issue with a final, good transmission fluid. My '17 Canyon was actually lemoned and bought back for the transmission before GM could figure it out. I still went back to GM and got the' 20 ZR2 and it's the best vehicle I've owned.

Both of mine had a few fit/finish issues covered under warranty. While Hondas and Lexus in my past have had fewer nitpicky quality issues than these GM, they don't hold a candle to this vehicle's performance, style and overall fun factor.

Test drive a few you like. Buy with a warranty. Enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Colorado Z71 Crew Cab Long Bed
304 Posts
The Colorado holds its own in online and magazine based reviews, car & driver, motor trend, TFL Truck, etc... It was the Motor Trend truck of the year two different years. If you can get a later model '19 or' 20 then you would be quite safe to me. If you buy one and it shudders just make sure it still has power train warranty and they should correct it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
There’s more positive than negative on the twins. Heck, you go on any automobile forum, and people will always have something negative to say. The Colorado and Canyon are outstanding trucks and lead the midsize market in refinement and ingenuity. Just read the reviews, as they are second to none in the segment.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I was in your spot when buying my truck new. There are bad reviews for every vehicle out there and I was hoping I would get lucky and get a good one. I bought a 2018 ZR2 and have had zero problems over the last two years. As others have noted, if there is a problem with the transmission, you will be able to tell when you drive it. Those problems came up sooner rather than later, so if it drives well, I wouldn't worry about it cropping up later. Buy one you really like and don't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
911 Posts
I bought a 2017 Colorado Z71 Extended Cab. It has the V6, 8 speed transmission and 4 wheel drive.
It developed a shutter. The dealer did the transmission flush (under warranty) and the transmission has not had it since.
I have over 52,000 miles on my truck. I would say my Z71 is would be a top 3 of all the vehicles I have owned since 1988.
I had a 92 Eagle Talon for 12 years, 00 TransAm WS6 17 years and this Colorado now for 3+ years

·
Registered
788 Posts
I have a 2015 that has had no issues whatsoever. They're damn good trucks. Never use internet forums as quality assessments. If you find one you like, buy it. If it has some of it's factory warranty left, and unless it's a first year model with high mileage, it should.... Just take care of it, and you'll be fine. I love my truck, and at the end of the day, even the Gladiator with it's removable top, Rubicon trim, and ability to keep a manual transmission with every option checked on the order list was still not quite enough to get me to give mine up.

·
Registered
221 Posts
My 2015 Canyon had several minor first model year of new generation issues, but it wasn't enough to stop me from getting a 2018 Canyon. It's been a very good truck with only one minor thing. I had the trans flush done as preventative maintenance and hoping it would take care of low speed hard shift, and it did. I love my truck and would not hesitate to buy one again.

Bill

·
Registered
383 Posts
I’ve had lots of cars and trucks and frequented many different auto forums. Manly Japanese and a few German and American vehicles. Other than the transmission isssues, they have now been fixed, I see way less problems on the forums than with other vehicles I’ve had. People either register for forums to complain about or research issues they’re having or to can girl it up. For the record, the only issue I’ve had with my 2017 is the 8 speed auto. It’s been in a few times for reprogramming and flushes. GM seems to have a fix for it now though.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
If you can get a 2016, that would be a good choice. If I had not bought my 2016, I would not have bought one at all. Too many problems to pay $40,000, and have to be back and forth to the shop, and still be unhappy. Go to Vegas or buy a lottery ticket, and try your luck first, and then take your chances on the truck. That will give you an indication of your luck.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Same truck just more options, not free of problems.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Lots of people don't have problems with these trucks. Some people do. Any time you buy a vehicle it's a bit of a crap shoot.

The 2016 is what I wish I bought now. My arbitration hearing for the lemon buyback on my 2018 is tomorrow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everybody for your comments. A lot of food for thought. I like the idea of trying to get one with some warranty left on the drivetrain. And I also like the idea of going to Vegas first to see how good my luck is. LOL.

I have one other question?

If I take a used one for a test drive is there a good test I can perform to see if the transmission will need service?
Maybe drive it at a certain speed where the shuttering mostly happens or do some combination of shifting?
I appreciate everyone's thoughts and ideas.
Thanks!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Thanks everybody for your comments. A lot of food for thought. I like the idea of trying to get one with some warranty left on the drivetrain. And I also like the idea of going to Vegas first to see how good my luck is. LOL.

I have one other question?

If I take a used one for a test drive is there a good test I can perform to see if the transmission will need service?
Maybe drive it at a certain speed where the shuttering mostly happens or do some combination of shifting?
I appreciate everyone's thoughts and ideas.
Thanks!
While it’s been diagnosed as torque converter shudder, it felt like a chuggle to me. mine was always the worst in stop and go traffic at light throttle. When it tries to accelerate and not downshift when the rpms are under 2k rpm. Some of that is the tcu programming.

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain 3.6l/8 speed

1 - 20 of 108 Posts