Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I said hi in the New Member forum....Down to to business! LOL

I am looking into buying a 2007 or 2008 Colorado Reg cab or Extended cab with the 3.7. I have been doing some searching on this forum and found alot of good information, thank you for that! I am a big stereo guy and I plan on lowering the truck if/when I get one. Here is a list of questions that will help me decide on what mods I will do.

1. How wide is the center console in trucks that have the buckets seats? Also, how much room is between the seats? I am thinking about building a center console sub box that goes from the bottom of the dash back to the rear of the cab to house a single 12". I hope to have the 12" in the front part of the console near the bottom of the dash in the area where the shifter would be if the truck were manual.

2. What size 20" tires work on a 3/4 drop and will I need to do a C-Notch? So far I have seen that a 255/35-20 will fit on a 3/4 drop and I plan on using the adjustable coilovers for the drop in the front and I am thinking about the drop leaf springs and 1" block for the rear. Does all of this seem correct? I am sure that the tire size is dependent on wheel offset. I plan on a 20x8.5 with about a +35 offset.

3. What other companies make disc brakes for the rear? On this site all I found was SSBrakes. I am also looking for front rotor upgrades as well as maybe some better calipers. A few years ago I had a Dodge Dakota R/T that I put Rototech slotted and drilled rotors on and they were the only rotors that stopped decently and they lasted 46,000 miles versus stock rotos that lasted less than 12,000 (bought 3 sets from Dodge...waste of money)

4. What is the largest HO Alternator available for these trucks? I bought a 240-amp/145-idle Iraggi alternator for my GMC Sierra and never installed it LOL, and I am currently waiting on Dominic Iraggi to return my e-mail and tell me about the Colorado alternator.

5. What 1/4 mile times are average for a stock I-5? I have read anywhere between 14.8 and 16.4, with more times in the 15.6 -15.8 range.

6. Does anyone make a solid bed cap for these trucks? My long term plan is to make a wall with 4-12's or 4-15's in the truck.

Thanks for looking at this and helping me with these questions. It'a hard for me to decide if the Colorado is for me until I get back to the US and get to see one LOL. We will be leaving this Air Base in Germany April 23 and I'm excited to get to Austin,TX, open my stereo shop and meet some mini-truckers!!

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Welcome to the site man, you can get alot of questions awnsered but sometimes it helps to place different threads in different sections of intrest. Anyways I know a little about everything and all about nothing, hope this helps

Question 3- I think SSbreaks is the only ones out right now with the rear and you need 18's in the back for clearence. front rotors can be bought on ebay I have powerslot slotted rotors and love them. it seems some peoples breaks last VERY long and some need attention much sooner than expected. My back breaks are still stick and my fronts were 50% at 80000 miles.

Question 5- a stock reg or extended cab stock will prabably run 15.5-16 depending on track conditions

·
Registered
389 Posts
Question 4 would be a 220 amp alt from Iraggi. I own it. It is a good alt and i would highly recommend it.

I suggest getting a crew cab though. thats what i have and it has lots of room for subs. I have 4 l5s in a competition box and i have plenty of room for more. I am thinking about going to 4 15s and even then i would have extra space all in the cab.

·
Registered
558 Posts
the center console in my 07 extended cab with bucket seats is about 7" wide at the base, and about 5" wide where your arm rests. (not very wide)

the seats are about 8" apart in the butt area, and about 7" apart at the top of the armrest. hope this helps ya out.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, quick responces and excellent info. I really appreciate it!

Brakes are going to be a necessary upgrade since I will be running 20's, so I guess SS brakes will be getting my money hehe

As far as cab type, I was thinking regular cab because I sold my old truck ('07 GMC Sierra Crew Cab) not only to save money on shipping, but because it was just too big in my opinion. I was worried that an extended cab was going to be too long, but luckily I was driving around today and saw a dropped Colorado Extreme Crew Cab and it's actually quite small, so the Extended cab will be perfect for me.

Iraggi 200-amp alt is going to be what I get! It will be my third Iraggi alt and I must admit, Dominic does some fine work.

I think this forum is going to be a good place to show off my experiments and builds as well as just plain fun since I can talk with like-minded people.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HowNowBrownCow said:
the center console in my 07 extended cab with bucket seats is about 7" wide at the base, and about 5" wide where your arm rests. (not very wide)

the seats are about 8" apart in the butt area, and about 7" apart at the top of the armrest. hope this helps ya out.
Awesome, thanks! Looks like I won't be able to fit my 12" there, especially since it's a DD 3512 lol

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think that if you're going to eventually use the entire back for subs the extended cab would suit you the best... I mean you wouldn't have to store the back seat somewhere (which I know it probably isn't a huge deal for you... but it would be for me since I already have to much :censored:)and there's still plenty of room back there... plus it's the best looking body style in my opinion :)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CoreyM said:
I think that if you're going to eventually use the entire back for subs the extended cab would suit you the best... I mean you wouldn't have to store the back seat somewhere (which I know it probably isn't a huge deal for you... but it would be for me since I already have to much :censored:)and there's still plenty of room back there... plus it's the best looking body style in my opinion :)
I am thinking the same, matter of fact it's my current choice for new truck. It's just too bad that I have to wait a couple months to buy one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts