Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Anyone who thinks that the 4” plastic nonsense hanging below Your bumper affects handling should sell their truck and buy a Prius. What are you guys nascar drivers??? Get the **** out of here.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Anyone who thinks that the 4” plastic nonsense hanging below Your bumper affects handling should sell their truck and buy a Prius. What are you guys nascar drivers??? Get the **** out of here.
Lol. Easy.

Remember force = pressure times area. This means that a very small pressure differential between the higher-than-ambient-pressure in the engine bay and the lower-than-ambient-pressure region above the hood can create some pretty impressive lift force when you consider how much area the hood has.

Example:
Ever seen a stock sports car at speed on a racetrack? This effect can be so severe that the hood will lift up and flutter (or even bow) at speed! Check out the Corvette GRM has. Their hood was lifting at speed before they vented it to equalize pressure and reduce lift. Note that the Corvette hood lifts forward, so it's not like it was just being blown open and they forgot to latch it or something like that... it has enough force lifting it from the pressure differential it separates that it will lift completely off the latches.

This kind of lift can and will change how the front end of the car feels, and you don't have to be highly developed sports car snob to feel it. I'm not saying the effect is this significant in the Colorado just from the silly little airdam, but don't brush it off so easily... it's a very reasonable and possible effect.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Lol. Easy.

Remember force = pressure times area. This means that a very small pressure differential between the higher-than-ambient-pressure in the engine bay and the lower-than-ambient-pressure region above the hood can create some pretty impressive lift force when you consider how much area the hood has.

Example:
Ever seen a stock sports car at speed on a racetrack? This effect can be so severe that the hood will lift up and flutter (or even bow) at speed! Check out the Corvette GRM has. Their hood was lifting at speed before they vented it to equalize pressure and reduce lift. Note that the Corvette hood lifts forward, so it's not like it was just being blown open and they forgot to latch it or something like that... it has enough force lifting it from the pressure differential it separates that it will lift completely off the latches.

This kind of lift can and will change how the front end of the car feels, and you don't have to be highly developed sports car snob to feel it. I'm not saying the effect is this significant in the Colorado just from the silly little airdam, but don't brush it off so easily... it's a very reasonable and possible effect.
Good analogy! I heavily trimmed my air dam, and I noticed that my truck doesn’t feel quite as planted at freeway speeds. Although, it’s not bad enough that I would ever consider undoing my trim job!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Anyone who doesn't understand how aerodynamics work(s) probably shouldn't talk about aerodynamics.

More air under the truck means less stability. That's part of why a lifted truck is more wander-y than an unlifted truck. Drag, lift, thrust, and weight apply to anything moving through the air, not just planes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Lol. Chill out man. As others have stated, it does and follows the laws of aerodynamics. Is the difference enough to merit not taking it off? Probably not for a lot of people, but I think it’s helpful for people to be informed that it’s a side effect. If you use your truck to tow, this could make driving at highway speeds less comfortable because the truck doesn’t track as well.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The air dam is more for cooling especially in hauling/towing situations, remove for off-road and long term there would be a measurable MPG savings but no one cares about long term, it's always immediate satisfaction......its your car do whatever you wish.....

·
Registered
110 Posts
Lots of hang wringing about the air dam, again!
Pulled mine off @ 3 months after purchase and @ 600 miles. No noticeable change in handling characteristics during normal highway speeds up to 80mph, wet or dry. Noted @1.5. mpg loss in fuel economy.
Noted much better approach angle clearance when off road.
No change in coolant or transmission temp.
Installed 2" lift. No change in handling nor further decrease in fuel performance.
Installed 4 point under body armor and had no change in handling but did see @ 6 degree transmission temp increase when under load (off and on road) and ambient temps above 90. No change in fuel economy.
Added bed rack and roof-top tent. No adverse handling changes but did log another 1.5 reduction in fuel economy.
When off-roading with this combination and particularly when in 4 low, I'll see trans temps up over 210 for most of the hill climbs or when in long duration crossings in sand. Fuel economy goes out the window in these conditions.
Pulled a friends off-road trailer(@1000lbs) with this setup and on highway coolant temps rose about 5 F from normal and when off road saw about the same 6-10 degree rise in trans temp and coolant temps stay around 200 - 205F on the longer pulls.
No complaints and no looking back after pulling that damn, dam off!

·
Registered
60 Posts
GM4ever, WOW your mileage sucks! My average on my 2020 Canyon Denali is 24-26 mpg, on the highway it does even better: View attachment 384838
But you are comparing apples to oranges. Put your truck in 4WD, don't go over 20 miles per hour and come to a complete stop and take off every 1000 feet. Then you'd be comparing apples to apples. My truck has almost 7,000 miles on it and the average mileage over the life of the 7,000 miles is almost 16 miles to the gallon. Gets about 19 on the highway. I consider that pretty good for all I ask of it and all the 4WD parts that are turning. If I was still working and actually had to be somewhere ... I'd of bought another Z71 ... and yes .... I would take the air dam off of it too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you’re driving a diesel on mostly local roads, you’ve failed. Diesels are meant to be driven for longer periods of time, in order to heat up and burn off soot, and at more consistent speeds to get the better gas mileage. I’m averaging 26 mpg since I bought the truck. That’s all inclusive driving.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Lot of dam flap over a little dam.......

Remember the spy photos of the Colorado in 2014, or even the big reveal pictures in 2014?

No dam dam........If I recall Chevrolet stated it was to improve the over all MPG.....nothing more...... If the dam was important for aerodynamic reasons, it would stand to reason that it would not have been a late add on.

·
Registered
865 Posts
If you use your truck to tow, this could make driving at highway speeds less comfortable because the truck doesn’t track as well.
That is not an accurate statement as the trailer specifications will by far outweigh any negligible differences of the truck with or without an air dam.
My rig tracks just fine at highway speed with that snow plow device removed. Towing has a lot more to do with proper weight distribution and hitch setup and you can throw aerodynamics pretty well out the window. That is why our MPG is generally cut in half.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That is not an accurate statement as the trailer specifications will by far outweigh any negligible differences of the truck with or without an air dam.
My rig tracks just fine at highway speed with that snow plow device removed. Towing has a lot more to do with proper weight distribution and hitch setup and you can throw aerodynamics pretty well out the window. That is why our MPG is generally cut in half.
I agree that other things will have a greater impact when towing. I’ll admit that I haven’t towed without it, but took it on and off enough times to notice that it didn’t track as well during regular driving. Given that this is due to there being slightly less pressure on the front wheels, I assumed that it acts similarly to the factory rake during towing by helping distribute the weight properly on the wheels where it is needed, but to a lesser degree. As you’ve stated, weight distribution is far more important. My guess is that the overall effect is small enough most never notice it, especially if you’ve never gone back and forth between having it on and off. Tracking fine is different than tracking as well. The purpose of air dams is usually agreed upon to improve mpgs, front downward pressure and cooling. However, the difference is usually small enough for any one of these that most will never notice or care. Inaccurate? I’ll respectively disagree. Negligible/barely noticeable? I can get behind that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Lol. Easy.

Example:

You’re in a midsize pickup, not a race car. This truck can barely achieve speeds where those aerodynamics happen.......... I have my air dam off, and I’ll take you around corners where you might pee yourself. As I said earlier, just stop.
It’s ridiculous.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree that other things will have a greater impact when towing. I’ll admit that I haven’t towed without it, but took it on and off enough times to notice that it didn’t track as well during regular driving. Given that this is due to there being slightly less pressure on the front wheels, I assumed that it acts similarly to the factory rake during towing by helping distribute the weight properly on the wheels where it is needed, but to a lesser degree. As you’ve stated, weight distribution is far more important. My guess is that the overall effect is small enough most never notice it, especially if you’ve never gone back and forth between having it on and off. Tracking fine is different than tracking as well. The purpose of air dams is usually agreed upon to improve mpgs, front downward pressure and cooling. However, the difference is usually small enough for any one of these that most will never notice or care. Inaccurate? I’ll respectively disagree. Negligible/barely noticeable? I can get behind that.
You could mount a sheet of plywood
You should mount a sheet of plywood across the front, hell it might get even more sticky for the racing you guys are clearly doing.

For anyone to say they notice anything at 80 MPH is just ridiculous. I do it every day to and from work and the truck handles like a dream....... now, fuel economy? IDK, I lost a lot when I lifted it with the Eibach pro kit.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You could mount a sheet of plywood

You should mount a sheet of plywood across the front, hell it might get even more sticky for the racing you guys are clearly doing.

For anyone to say they notice anything at 80 MPH is just ridiculous. I do it every day to and from work and the truck handles like a dream....... now, fuel economy? IDK, I lost a lot when I lifted it with the Eibach pro kit.
I guess some of us are in “more tune” with our trucks and can notice subtle differences. This form is for all of us to share information. There no need to be bashing anyone on here just because to don’t agree with something! 🙄

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nah, just ball breaking. I’ve no idea if it helps or not. I put it back on once to see how much the economy improved, and took it back off a couple hours later. I can’t stand it!
The trucks guys have trimmed them down on look great, I don’t have the talent for that compromise.
Ed

·
Registered
29 Posts
I guess some of us are in “more tune” with our trucks and can notice subtle differences. This form is for all of us to share information. There no need to be bashing anyone on here just because to don’t agree with something! 🙄
Thank you. It’s such a small difference that I thought I was imagining it, but having gone back and forth, it’s definitely there. Some are missing the fact that yes, the truck still drives great without it, but is it as good? No. I chose to trim mine because it was so negligible it didn’t matter. For some though, that small amount will matter to them and I care that they are informed. For others, myself included, the truck still drives great and having the option to take off or trim the airdam is great.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts