Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
If the ZR2 had an airdam ... I wonder if I'd get better gas mileage?

View attachment 384538
No - the air dam would not make a difference. It’s the ZR2 low mileage standard Took air dam off at 4K miles. Truck just turned over 40K mikes. My Z71 was getting 21.3 mpg before removing air dam. Life time mpg is still 21.3 after the air dam removed.
Gusto!

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
If the ZR2 had an airdam ... I wonder if I'd get better gas mileage?

View attachment 384538
Unbelievable! Unless your towing or have huuuuge tires or making a lot of short trips or have very aggressive driving style (yes, Ive seen a few).
Ignore the compooter and do your own calculations between fillups. See if the results are the same. There may be a problem with how the AFE interprets fillup quantity.
You should be getting at least 19 mpg.
My compooter always estimates my MPG at 2-3 mpg better than it actually is. So your actual AFE might be 10 mpg!

Fillup at the same pump
Fill to the first click
Reset tripmeter
Fillup at 3/4 tank
Record tripmeter and gallons filled
Divide miles driven by gallons filled= MPG
Reset tripmeter
Repeat four times
Calculate the MPG average

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
No - the air dam would not make a difference. It’s the ZR2 low mileage standard Took air dam off at 4K miles. Truck just turned over 40K mikes. My Z71 was getting 21.3 mpg before removing air dam. Life time mpg is still 21.3 after the air dam removed.
Gusto!
So I actually checked after getting back from the store. No air dam for over 35K miles. Not sure how this compares to others mpg but I’m happy with mine.

BA88B308-C928-4E5F-A34B-8556EDF3900D.jpeg

Reactions: GraniteBlue05

·
Registered
2017 All Terrain 2.8L CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
625 Posts
The PCT runs were 600 mile round trip highway.

<Found the edit button>
highway or interstate? I think a lot of people forget the difference between these two.

The window sticker HWY MPG rating was obtained around an average of 50mph, not 70+mph. It was also done on a dyno. So with regards to fuel economy, the airdam is not there to get you the best MPG on the interstate, it is there to fine tune the truck so it will get max MPG in these EPA tests: Detailed Test Information

An interesting point, the newer EPA tests include an MPG loop with air conditioning load on the engine. Since the air dam is also optimizing cooling/airflow through the engine bay, then it would help to achieve better economy on this test as well.

I routinely get well over 30 MPG avg going to work, because I live in a rural area and travel to work exclusively on highways. However, when I go into town or hop on the interstate for a longer trip I get mid to high 20's. In this respect the EPA highway test closely mirrors my actual daily driving, which I don't believe would be the case for the majority of folks who live in stop-n-go/interstate suburban or urban areas. My airdam will eventually come off, when I upgrade my suspension, but for now it is saving me a couple gallons each month.

·
Registered
27 Posts
highway or interstate? I think a lot of people forget the difference between these two.

The window sticker HWY MPG rating was obtained around an average of 50mph, not 70+mph. It was also done on a dyno. So with regards to fuel economy, the airdam is not there to get you the best MPG on the interstate, it is there to fine tune the truck so it will get max MPG in these EPA tests: Detailed Test Information

An interesting point, the newer EPA tests include an MPG loop with air conditioning load on the engine. Since the air dam is also optimizing cooling/airflow through the engine bay, then it would help to achieve better economy on this test as well.

I routinely get well over 30 MPG avg going to work, because I live in a rural area and travel to work exclusively on highways. However, when I go into town or hop on the interstate for a longer trip I get mid to high 20's. In this respect the EPA highway test closely mirrors my actual daily driving, which I don't believe would be the case for the majority of folks who live in stop-n-go/interstate suburban or urban areas. My airdam will eventually come off, when I upgrade my suspension, but for now it is saving me a couple gallons each month.
mines trimmed and I dont care about 3,4 or 5 tenths even a mpg or two

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
If I could somehow managed to drive 50 MPH steady with no traffic, pretty sure my tuned diesel would record mid 60's MPG, as it is barely running under those conditions. Alas, my impatient not lead but definitely "cast aluminum foot" would not permit it.

Have seen low 50s MPG on a couple of 30 miles runs from my house to downtown Denver, with every condition ideal - not cold, no traffic in the way, no wind, cruise set at 60, mile high elevation (thin air). The truck is averaging 27.5 post tune lifetime over 28K miles. It gets driven at 65-70 quite a bit. Best I have ever seen is on a 50 mph road, cop behind me for 7 miles, cruise set at 53 mph, as this is as slow as it will go and smoothly pull 6th gear. Got curious about it, saw 72 MPG in my DIC over that short stretch, all this without the air dam by the way :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2017 All Terrain 2.8L CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
625 Posts
mines trimmed and I dont care about 3,4 or 5 tenths even a mpg or two
I have a long commute (1hr each way) and I am positively sure that, for my driving conditions, it's more than a few tenths mpg. Like I said, it won't be the same for someone in a different driving situation or with a gas engine, but several long term tests (including Motortrend) have confirmed the air dam removal can make up to a 2-3mpg difference on the diesel.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Took my airdam off about 3 months ago during my last oil change. 3.6 V6 2018 W/T extended cab bought new in May 2018. Average MPG before removal: 19 MPG. After removal: 19.1. Mixed city highway. Won't put it back on. No more parking block scrapes, dirt road plowing, grass mowing in the pasture. The airdam was scraped and feathered from the contact with various objects. Just sayin. Personal experience. :unsure:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ouch! Is this your normal mpg or just in downtown Manhattan?
Gusto!
Unbelievable! Unless your towing or have huuuuge tires or making a lot of short trips or have very aggressive driving style (yes, Ive seen a few).
Ignore the compooter and do your own calculations between fillups. See if the results are the same. There may be a problem with how the AFE interprets fillup quantity.
You should be getting at least 19 mpg.
My compooter always estimates my MPG at 2-3 mpg better than it actually is. So your actual AFE might be 10 mpg!

Thank you all for the astute observations on my mileage. For me, the truck is an expensive toy. Rarely sees the highway and is usually in 4WD. I'm not in Manhattan. I'm in the sand hills of Central Florida. I did take it for a trip to Ohio right after 500 miles of break-in. With the cruise on 70 mph it got 19.1 mpg for 200 miles of I95. Once you go over 70 mph the mileage suffers greatly. Air dam or gearing? I don't know. The transmission is very funky. Most of the driving is I do is below 20 mph. The transmission seems to always be searching for the proper gear. Putting the truck in off-road mode or turning off the traction control helps the transmission and the mileage.

I apologize to the original poster for hijacking his question so I will offer this on the air dam. I'm a retired GM Engineer. I have friends at GM and was able to purchase the first 2nd Generation Z71 in Florida in 2015. A 3.6 L with the 6 speed auto. After I had it a year I took the air dam off. At that time I was on the road with it all the time. I would say a normal mix of highway and city driving. The mileage and handling did not change very much. Not enough for me to not appreciate the look of the truck without the air dam. Life is too short to worry about or be calculating fuel mileage. My other car is a 2018 ZL-1. I'll be leaving the air dam on it as it too gets terrible fuel mileage.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Took mine off a few months ago. I track my mileage with Fuelly, so I don't rely on the display. I've lost about a full mpg. The truck is also less stable at highway speed (70mph and up). It's a fair trade-off, as it looks a ton better and doesn't scrape anymore.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't mind that they put the air dam on to eek out a tad better mileage or any other reason.

I do fault them for making the dang thing so hard to take off since this would be an obvious mod with so many owners. Could have just had all bolts accessible and removed from the bottom without removing other parts.

I am definitely pulling mine - better that I remove it than a curb.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I took mine off, but due to the fact that I thought something looked funny with it off and the fact that I did notice the nose felt less controlled under acceleration or at speed, I trimmed it. I feel like it still keeps the nose tucked better than without, but haven’t noticed a dip in mpgs. Glad I don’t have to worry about it dragging/catching though and I like the trimmed look most (obviously looks are a personal opinion).
FB09CE2B-B78A-44E7-8D77-84AD63D9982D.jpeg

·
Registered
349 Posts
GM4ever, WOW your mileage sucks! My average on my 2020 Canyon Denali is 24-26 mpg, on the highway it does even better:

·
Registered
2 Posts
What a POC that airdam is! I kept dragging it on low parking curbs and a few times on steep driveway transitions. Who would install that with top down hardware????
However, I immediately noticed a lack of rumble air turbulence, and it seemed so much more quiet. I did 10 runs to work at exactly 65 mph and recorded both trip mpg as well as instantaneous MPG at certain points and there was no difference with the air dam removed. Maybe over a 20 mile trip, it might give you a slight increase in mpg but I could not see it. I also put a string on the lower air ducts under the truck...they appear to draw air from the road and angle it up. I used my front camera to view it at 65 mph and you could clearly see the string take on a characteristic shape. With the airdam off, the string appeared to be showing more air flow...which makes sense. So lets think about this. Taking hot road air and blowing it up into your engine..... Not sure where the air goes. MAybe just to the lower exhaust header, then back out? But it appeared to show more flow...of hot air into the engine. Maybe this is why people are seeing hotter engine temps?????
I have access to a full blown aerospace flow meters with thermocouples and the whole deal.....but there is no freggin way I will put that air dam back on....even if its in the name of science.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts