Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I have to believe the DuramaxTuner turns off EGR. Easy way to tell - if your oil is not inky black, EGR is turned off :)

My belief is with EGR off, the DPF will receive less soot and last longer. Mine only gets the BBQ treatment every 725 miles. Pretty confident I will not have any DPF issues over the life of the truck.

If it does happen, there are DPF cleaning services now for light duty trucks, you don't have to throw it away. Evidently these companies can "shake and bake" them, heating the DPF super hot, and then blowing huge quantities of compressed air through can flush 'em out. They will also cut the DPF open, clean the element and weld them closed again if needed.
I'll double check my oil again. That's a great piece of news though. Don't have to make a moonshine run.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Re-entering the country by itself isn’t probable cause, nor is simply having electronic devices. You said they can poke in devices if they want. They can’t. You just said they can’t without probable cause.

We’ve done day trips across the border and back, I’m not sure if people think CBP is the boogie man or what but they’ve always been nice and friendly, not going out of their way to make their job or the process of crossing the border more difficult then it needs to be.

Lots of FUD in this thread, IMO. That’s not productive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I remember when I was very young, like 10 or so, the family went to Canada, Can't remember too much, except that thugs on the US side didn't believe my dad when he declared the items we bought and wanted to toss the car. He raised holy hell and they backed down. The could have just cuffed his ass and tossed the car anyway. They wouldn't have found anything though we just didn't have the cash to blow on dumb crap.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
I remember when I was very young, like 10 or so, the family went to Canada, Can't remember too much, except that thugs on the US side didn't believe my dad when he declared the items we bought and wanted to toss the car. He raised holy hell and they backed down. The could have just cuffed his ass and tossed the car anyway. They wouldn't have found anything though we just didn't have the cash to blow on dumb crap.
And when I was 10 things were very different as well...but we're not 10 anymore. Not sure what your point is. Women can vote now, too. Crazy times!

Seems like you're trying to find any way to make CBP or their officers seem like boogie men. This thread is so far off the rails in terms of reality it really belongs in the off-topic section.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
No need to invent imagined transgressions by CBP, there are plenty of actual ones.

They even f_ck their own.

Your reality might be off the rails. It is not even a minute stretch to imagine this administration's exercising powers not specifically enumerated at a border crossing.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
And when I was 10 things were very different as well...but we're not 10 anymore. Not sure what your point is. Women can vote now, too. Crazy times!

Seems like you're trying to find any way to make CBP or their officers seem like boogie men. This thread is so far off the rails in terms of reality it really belongs in the off-topic section.
That was 1980 or 81. Who is looking for boogiemen, you or I?

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
No need to invent imagined transgressions by CBP, there are plenty of actual ones.

Your reality might be off the rails. It is not even a minute stretch to imagine this administration's exercising powers not specifically enumerated at a border crossing.
Finding a few exceptions doesn't make it the rule. Reading posts in this thread you'd think there's anarchy at the Canadian border. There's not. Just a bunch of strawman arguments and FUD about the scary govt.

That was 1980 or 81. Who is looking for boogiemen, you or I?
Your first post set the tone and direction of this thread, which doesn't belong in the Diesel section because it's more about politics, strawman arguments, and what-ifs than anything else.

"With the latest round of EPA thuggery ... The EPA has overnight created a new class of criminal and perhaps altered forever the opportunity for many to own and maintain a diesel."

This is absolute nonsense. Nothing happened overnight. The EPA is finally enforcing regulations that have been in place for YEARS. Anyone that didn't see this day coming has been living under a rock and now it's devolved into "BIG BROTHER GONNA GET YOU AT THE BORDER!"

I'm out.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Does anyone remember the inspection days, when you had to bring your car/truck annually to the inspection station where they stick a sniffer up the exhaust to check if you really meet emissions requirements? Worst case they will bring those things back, and it doesn't matter what was or was not done to your vehicle, if it doesn't pass the sniffer test then no new registration for you. They had that here in FL for a number of years, then it vanished.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
We had it here as well. Now gone. You just go to any "approved" DMV inspection location, usually repair shops or dealers and they plug in a code reader. Reminds me I need to renew plates.

·
Super Moderator
3,696 Posts
Discuss emissions all you like but stop with the politics or this thread will go away.

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
If it wasn't for California and New Jersey enacting stupid emmision rules, the EPA would probably not have changed anything.
I think it all started when rolling coal became a fad. Some idiot was probably in front of a person driving a Prius and blew smoke in his face. Then he went on the internet all bothered and whiny. Instead of sucking it up like a man....
Hunter 62. If you think it's "manly" to breathe pollution why don't you roll coal with your exhaust pipes venting into your cab. Tell you what, I'll do it for you for free! Don't blame California and New Jersey, people like you are your own worst enemy, people like YOU made the EPA change the rules. Go use your brain unless all your fume sniffing has already rendered it useless.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I own a diesel, AND a prius.. and a boat, and some motorcycles (some 2-stroke), yard tools, etc.. I'm not a tree hugger, but only a fool would conclude that global warming isn't a problem and that burning fossil fuels isn't contributing, and that we don't have a pollution problem in general. I'm in S. Florida and when I take my boat out in the ocean and look back at the mainland I can see a nasty haze over the land, that I don't remember seeing when I was a kid. I have zero issues with the idea of cleaner exhaust, my beef is with the implementation. Number one, why is the EGR routed from before the DPF and not after, so as to prevent all the soot going back through the motor? Why is a catch can not standard equipment? Why such horrible throttle lag for reducing the poof when you hit the throttle, instead of using a larger DPF? Those are my primary beefs with the implementation. There's little competition in the mid sized truck diesel market in the US so GM is getting away with cutting some corners like this. Hopefully at some point a competitor like Toyota, Ford or Nissan will come out with a better system to force GM to improve theirs.

The truck actually performs quite well when it' running properly, just how many miles it will keep running properly is the question.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
The new GM 3.0 diesel has low pressure EGR which is picked up after the DPF. The issue there is the DPF is necessarily close to the exhaust ports and under the hood, and the heat emanating from that location, even with all kinds of shielding, caused GM to lower the truck's towing capacity by around 3,000 pounds vs. it's competitors. That is a big deal, a tangible negative impact of dealing with emissions. Big rig drivers opt for "Glider" trucks to avoid dealing with emissions equipment failures and maintenance costs. Emission system codes and hassles/expense and heavy handed limp modes are an inconvenience for most of us, they potentially impact a trucker's ability to make a living.

I am all for clean air, but if the regs don't align with current technology, the net result is more pollution as people avoid the regulations. If not for EGR polluting the engine with soot at an impressive enough rate to blacken new oil after a few hundred miles, I would have not tuned my truck. I did not do it for more power, although more power, 10% better fuel economy and instant throttle response are nice :cool:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Believe the current zeitgeist is ‘climate change’ - levity intended.
Great points in the post above, it would seem that routing the EGR post DPF would require some serious plumbing and present it’s own set of issues/challenges/problems. But it would be great if that were/is feasible.
In my research of the Diesel Colorado I drove 3 different diesel trucks - one of the three had terrible throttle lag, the other two did not (FWIW). Found that interesting, and am not clear why that would be so noticeable - possibly computer learning (but all 3 were new, very low mileage trucks - 4 to 9 miles on the odometer). I presently own 6 vehicles and used to race motorcycles, so am very in-tune with throttle responsiveness, including weather conditions influencing it. My diesel truck has quite good throttle response, and in one instance (accelerating from a dead stop) pushed my wife and I firmly into our seats when taking off quickly to merge into traffic.

There are many areas the truck could (should?) be improved, but I am very appreciative that GM/Chevrolet had the moral and business courage to produce this engine truck combination.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts