Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to truck lifts and I had a few questions. I am debating between either a leveling kit(and 3 in body lift, maybe) or a suspension lift. I have a 06 GMC Canyon 2wd z-71.

1. With the leveling kit (was looking at pro comp), will this adjust the angle and cause the CV boots to wear out faster the way that cranking the TB would? I want to level the truck but not at the expense of ruining something else quicker. I have seen dropping the front diff. but would I still need to do that with a leveling kit?
2. If I get a suspension lift, do I also need a leveling kit?
3. If I get a leveling kit do I need to add new shocks(front, rear, both)?
4. I have been reading about shackles in the back, what exactly would I be accomplishing by adding a leveling kit in the front and shackles in the back?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
1) IDK what the Pro-Comp kit might consist of, but to level your Z71, all you'll need is a wrench and a tape measure. Anything else is a waste of money.

Anything you do to lower the point of equilibrium on the front suspension would increase the CV joint angle UNLESS you also dropped the front differential . . . which would, in turn, increase the angle on the joints in the front drive shaft. But since you don't have a front drive shaft (2wd), or front differential, then you also don't have front axle shafts or CV joints. Problem solved.

2) I can't speak for any other kit, but the Rancho kit specifies the static height upon completion of the installation. You simply adjust the pre-load on the torsion bars to achieve that measurement. So, no, you wouldn't need a levelling kit in addition. See also, my first comment.

3) Again, IDK what might be included in the levelling kits you're looking at, but typically they only involve bringing up the front end to match the existing height of the rear (level). So, no, you shouldn't need any new rear shocks, since nothing will have changed.

On the front, you still will not need new shocks, because all you are doing is adjusting the point within the existing travel where the suspension is at equilibrium. The length of travel does not change. In other words, say you have 10" total travel, 5" up and 5" down. If you raise the front end 2" to level the truck, then you will no longer have the full 5" of down travel, only 3", since you will have actually forced the front hubs 2" downward in the range of travel to gain the 2" additional height. The 2" of down travel you lost will be added to the up travel for a total of 7". Again, you have only moved the point of rest within the existing range of travel.

4) Without knowing what is actually in the kit you're looking at, it's hard to say. But the shackles will raise the rear a specified amount. Bubbaloos are 2", as are some others. I've seen some 1" and some 1.5" mentioned in the various posts on here.

The first lifting I did on my truck was with Bubbaloo's 2" shackles on the rear and the TB adjustment up front. It took me 7 turns to get close to level. That's as far as I was willing to go, but it still looked good. Just not big enough to satisfy me for long :). You can see the progression on my cardomain site. Just click the website button at the bottom of this post. BTW, if you decide on shackles in the rear, you will need new shocks because on full extension, you'll bottom out the factory shocks. If you do it hard enough, you'll blow them out. Then things will get really interesting.

Hope this helps. :wink:

·
Banned
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dirty dawg, thank you. I had seen your truck previously on car domain and it looks great.

I read thru the thread on tb crank and never realized that the cv joint issues were for 4wd. If I had known that I would have done the tb crank a long time ago. So there arent going to be any issues for me then after the tb crank and realingment?

Still a tad confused on shackles. If I do 7 turns lets say to level it out in front, and then add 2" bubbaloo shackles in back wouldnt that make the truck higher in the back(2" higher) than the front? It looks even in your pics form the side but its just not making sense to me.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Thanks for the kind words. I can see how you might be confused. I failed to make it clear that the 2" shackles and the 7 turns happened at the same time. If all you wanted to do is level the truck without the shackles, It probably wouldn't take that many. Although, one thing I've learned from being on this forum for 2 years is that there must be a fairly wide range of what is acceptable for the truck to leave the factory. Different people have reported different numbers of turns to achieve level (or 2" lift either). You'll just have to play with yours and see what it takes. But again, without CV joints, you really have no worries except getting the equilibrium point so low in the range of travel that it rides rough because you don't have enough down travel left. Oh, I suppose you might also get it so low you'd put your rack and pinion in a bind, but probably you would hate the ride before that and drop it back down some. But you're on the right track, that you need to do an alignment once you're settled with where you have it. Whenever you take the plunge, post up some pics.

·
Banned
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
to fix this equilibium point issue could i add new rancho shocks in front? i will obviously add them in back with the shackles.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
The shocks won't have any effect on the equilibrium point. What I mean by "equilibrium point" is the place within the range of suspension travel where the downward force exerted by gravity on the truck is balanced by the torsion bars' resistance to twisting. You're going to adjust the preload on your torsion bars to set that place wherever you want it. But wherever it stops, that's the point of equilibrium. You won't NEED to replace your shocks, but the Ranchos will definitely be more durable off road. Some people like the ride better, some don't. I had the RS9000s when I had just the TB/shackle lift. The adjustment on those really made it nice. You could custom tune your ride to your own preference. Unfortunately, they don't make the 9000s for their lift. Go figure.

·
Banned
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gotcha...once again thanks for all the help dirty dawg. next step is tax return to get some new tires and then see how things look from there.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
No problem. Keep us posted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts