Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a 2007 4X4 crew cab I-5 automatic 3.73rear end. I'm looking a this Jayco travel trailer as a possible purchase this spring.
http://www.jayco.com/php/products/floor ... mod_id=673

It weighs 3200 lb. dry and the GVWR is 4200 lb. Do you guys think I'd be okay towing this trailer? The truck will have 2 adults and two small children for passengers. The trailer has electric brakes, and I plan to add a tranny cooler as well. I travel through the mountains sometimes, but I don't really mind going slow and enjoying the scenery. I'm never in a hurry on vacations.

Thanks,
BB

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Oh yeah u you should be fine towing it I heard people towing up to 7000 lbs but getting that high you would need some airbags you should be fine.

G

·
0 Posts
equalizer hitch would be a good idea also. Is your PCMforless tune for towing?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NCrado said:
equalizer hitch would be a good idea also. Is your PCMforless tune for towing?
Yes, a weight distributing hitch would be worthwhile. I'm not sure if the question was for me. I don't have any tune on my truck. It's bone stock.

BB

G

·
0 Posts
Oh my bad, i was looking at red12's sig
a tune would be well worth the money and will make a HUGE difference in the way it tows.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
BTW I do have the tune tow but havent towed my trailer yet.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) is not what you need to worry about. That's just for the truck itself without a trailer. What you need to be concerned about is the GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating). I don't know the specs on the '07s, but for my '05, the GVWR is 5000 lbs. But the GCWR is 9000 lbs. Sounds great until you look at the Maximum Trailer Weight, which is 4000 lbs. Your '07s specs may be higher because of the bigger engine. If your truck is spec'd high enough to allow for your trailer, and the total rig doesn't exceed the GCWR because of the things you load into it, you're good to go. You'll need to know the unladen weight of your truck too. The best way to do that is to go to a public truck scale and pay the small fee to have it weighed. Then you'll have an accurate baseline from which to work.

Red12 is right that many people exceed the ratings on an occasional, or even regular, basis and their trucks seem to do fine. At least they survive. But the reality is that if you load the vehicle beyond design specs, you run the risk of premature wear on many of the components, or even catastrophic failure. Add to that the fact that some states now have penalties in place for overloading light vehicles, not just commercial vehicles, and IMO it's just not worth the risk . . . especially with your wife (I assume that's the other "adult" :) ) and "2 small children" on board.

Whatever you decide to do, remember to include your family, luggage, gear, fuel, fluids on the trailer, any furnishings, supplies, or appliances you add to the trailer, etc. If you carefully add up everything you put on/in the trailer or truck, you'll get a good idea of what you can do.

Edit: BTW I looked at the specs on your trailer and if all your tanks on the trailer are full, that's 572 lbs additional. That's something else to consider . . . not just what you load before you leave, but what gets . . . um . . . er . . . uh . . . added while you're camping. :wink:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dirtydawg said:
GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) is not what you need to worry about. That's just for the truck itself without a trailer. What you need to be concerned about is the GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating). I don't know the specs on the '07s, but for my '05, the GVWR is 5000 lbs. But the GCWR is 9000 lbs. Sounds great until you look at the Maximum Trailer Weight, which is 4000 lbs. Your '07s specs may be higher because of the bigger engine. If your truck is spec'd high enough to allow for your trailer, and the total rig doesn't exceed the GCWR because of the things you load into it, you're good to go. You'll need to know the unladen weight of your truck too. The best way to do that is to go to a public truck scale and pay the small fee to have it weighed. Then you'll have an accurate baseline from which to work.

Red12 is right that many people exceed the ratings on an occasional, or even regular, basis and their trucks seem to do fine. At least they survive. But the reality is that if you load the vehicle beyond design specs, you run the risk of premature wear on many of the components, or even catastrophic failure. Add to that the fact that some states now have penalties in place for overloading light vehicles, not just commercial vehicles, and IMO it's just not worth the risk . . . especially with your wife (I assume that's the other "adult" :) ) and "2 small children" on board.

Whatever you decide to do, remember to include your family, luggage, gear, fuel, fluids on the trailer, any furnishings, supplies, or appliances you add to the trailer, etc. If you carefully add up everything you put on/in the trailer or truck, you'll get a good idea of what you can do.

Edit: BTW I looked at the specs on your trailer and if all your tanks on the trailer are full, that's 572 lbs additional. That's something else to consider . . . not just what you load before you leave, but what gets . . . um . . . er . . . uh . . . added while you're camping. :wink:
Yes, thanks for the great info. I just checked my truck, and my GCWR is 9300 lb. I weighed my truck when I first got it and I think it was right around 4000 lb. with a full gas tank. So add a 3400 lb. trailer (empty), 500 lb. of people, and I'm left with 1400 lb. of payload. This 1400 lb. includes water (and other bio-hazardous fluids), food, lawn chairs, firewood, etc. I tend to pack light, and I don't like to carry more than 10 gallons of fresh water.

I'm a fairly conservative person, but I just wish I had a bit more head room. I don't want to get into trouble towing an RV that's too big.

BB

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Sounds like you're going to be in the ballpark then. I can tell you from experience, as someone above said, the weight distributing hitch (with sway stabilizer bar) will make all the difference in the world. My sister has a 24 foot trailer we borrowed one summer. We traveled from central Arkansas to Biloxi, MS pulling it behind and F-350 Crew Cab Dually with no WD hitch and it nearly beat us to death. We later pulled the same trailer behind our Suburban with the WD hitch and it was light years better. Would've been nice to have had the power of that PowerStroke though :lol:

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GMCdriver said:
We have been looking at those Jaycos ourselves.

A couple of others you might want to check out:
http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/floorp ... =MicroLite

http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/floorp ... es=Expand8

http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/floorp ... ies=Expand

And no, I'm not a forest river dealer.
Thanks for the links.
Here are a couple more lightweight trailer links for you to surf.
All of these companies have dealers local to me, and I snooped through them last fall. They are all pretty similar in floorplan, weight, and quality.

http://www.eco-rv.com/

http://www.cikirarv.com/

http://www.cruiserrv.com/funfinderX/index.html

BB

·
Registered
54 Posts
What is a pcmforless tune up for better towing?

I have poster a bunch of towing questions because I am basically pushing it with my 26 foot trailer which is supposed to weigh 3600 pounds.
Anyways, I have elecytroic brakes for the thing and Swaybars. I already towed it, it was OK but definitely hurting when climbing hills. The sway was under control unless a 18 wheeler zooms right next to you.
So I am thinking of a tranny cooler and even a new intake valve to imporve HP. Anything else?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
beeperboy said:
red12 said:
BTW I do have the tune tow but havent towed my trailer yet.
How big is your trailer?
I have a 5x8 utility trailer noting compared to what you are want to tow. But I have towed over 1000 lbs. But I would still you know always love to tow something bigger just to see how it does.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have an 06 with the 3.5 and i tow a 3000 lb 21 foot trail sport by r vision. And it has the power to pull fine, just gets real thirsty, all i can get from a tank is 200 miles. I have just ordered a cold intake from k and n and awaiting my pcm for less module. If i notice anything changes ill let you know.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
justmessman said:
I have an 06 with the 3.5 and i tow a 3000 lb 21 foot trail sport by r vision. And it has the power to pull fine, just gets real thirsty, all i can get from a tank is 200 miles. I have just ordered a cold intake from k and n and awaiting my pcm for less module. If i notice anything changes ill let you know.
Wow, that's a big trailer. Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you are able to pull it OK. I'll probably be fine with a 19' trailer then.

BB

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2006 quad cab canyon with the 3.5. I am not sure of the gearing since I bought it used, but we have a 20 ft Keystone expandable that weighs 3600 dry and is very wide and tall. I have pulled it from central Mass to upstate NY and into the mountains of NH. I have no mods other than an aux tranny cooler. With a weight dist hitch it pulls that trailer with all our junk and the two kids with no problems. Your 3.7 should do even better.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mayertb said:
I have a 2006 quad cab canyon with the 3.5. I am not sure of the gearing since I bought it used, but we have a 20 ft Keystone expandable that weighs 3600 dry and is very wide and tall. I have pulled it from central Mass to upstate NY and into the mountains of NH. I have no mods other than an aux tranny cooler. With a weight dist hitch it pulls that trailer with all our junk and the two kids with no problems. Your 3.7 should do even better.
Cool. I suppose the low tow rating of 4000 lb. has me a bit freaked out. It looks like from what you guys are towing, these little trucks are pretty stout.

BB

·
Registered
132 Posts
I agreee with you beeper....my question is - is there room in your trailer for 2 motorcycles as well?

·
Registered
915 Posts
Hey there... I'm one of those guys who has modded my "little" truck to tow more that it's supposed to. I inherited the truck from my Grandfather in April '07 and it replaced my '87 Toyota truck as my daily driver. I didn't want to step up to a fullsize truck or a diesel seeing as the mid-sized truck was a better fit for me.

I run HPDEs with my cars and wanted to make the truck capable of towing 6000lbs safely so I could get an open car trailer. After a good bit of reasearch I performed the following mods:

*Airlift ride control helper springs (air bags)

*Valley intertia switch (load sensing) trailer brake controller with full 7-pin harness setup (replaces the oem 4-pin, requires full re-wire)

*K&N series 77 intake

*B&M auxillary trans cooler (ties into the oem cooler's return line)

*PCM4Less heavy towing tune

*Equalizer weight distrubtion hitch with sway control

Here's what I've been towing:

The Corvette is heavier than the Panoz (3100lbs vs. 2600lbs) and tows it with ease, even with the bed loaded with fuel/tires and the bed box loaded with parts/tools. The car on the trailer is about 5200lbs + 3500lb truck + 240lb me = 8940 + misc tools/parts/luggage = 9300ish. So while it seems like a bunch it's only marginally over the trucks GCWR.

That said, I would never try to do this w/o the brake controller (trailer has brakes on each axle) and the equalizer hitch. They make all the difference in the world. The air bags and intake are just additional things that make the truck tow even easier.

Go for it!

~Brian

1 - 20 of 30 Posts