Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally found a limited slip differential for the 2WD Colorado / canyon / I290.

The Detroit True Track 8" will fit the AAM axle assembly.....
The last thing to confirm is the spline count for the factory axles.

The Helical (gear type) LSD is the only option for the 2WD truck: it is virtually indestructable, instantaneous response, not a POSI (which diminishes turning precision and throttle response in turn), and no electronics!Unlike the factory G80, you don't have to wait for a speed sensor to catch up to the wheelspin and activate a "lever" to lock both wheels. The changes in torque are applied the instant a difference is achieved - at ANY speed.

SO - WHO CAN HELP? What is the spline count on a 2WD z85
AAM Also makes a gear type LSD now

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
The G80 has no electronics. It's entirely mechanical. :roll:

Do you have a link?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the part i am looking at is actually a ford diff, but if the splines and ring gear match up we should fit..

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch ... 4294895172

This is the LSD i am looking at - Any help is appreciated. My source at AAM says we have a 8" rear:
Specs on our axle is as follows:
AAM 800 PowerLite Aluminum Housing
PowerDense Ring Gear Diameter: 205mm / 8.071 in.
Axle design Salisbury and Independent
GAW rating: 1450kg / 3197 lbs.
Axle Torque Capacity: 4750Nm / 3508 lb. ft.
Gear Range Ratio: 3.08 - 4.56
Differential Options: Trac-Right Series

I Am trying to use the detroit LSD - i think they make a better unit than AAM

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
You can't just swap center sections from a different rear end because the ring gear is the same diameter. There's a bit more to it than that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Show me how this wont work
the axle isn't made BY GM, it's made by AAM. They sell axles to many different manufacturers. I haven't seen any help here so far.. but i know there are some crazy tuners out there that have taken their axles out for some reason or another.
Who has the spline count info? I don't have the time to take the truck apart just to see (work too much), but i will make something work.
AAM definately makes a helical LSD that will fit, but i want to fit the True Trac for durability reasons.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
brakenit said:
You can't just swap center sections from a different rear end because the ring gear is the same diameter. There's a bit more to it than that.
x2. Like the entire design within the housing. I seriously doubt this will work but if you have the cash to try it out - do it and prove us wrong.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THANKS for the tip GMCdriver. I don't know why i didn't think to call eaton directly!! I will call monday and post the findings here. i will also try to find the retailer info for AAM products and post pricing on their Helical LSD.

PS: like the quote, do you ride>?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I used to ride till some dick decided he needed my bike more than me :'-(

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
PetExec said:
Show me how this wont work
the axle isn't made BY GM, it's made by AAM. They sell axles to many different manufacturers. I haven't seen any help here so far.. but i know there are some crazy tuners out there that have taken their axles out for some reason or another.
Who has the spline count info? I don't have the time to take the truck apart just to see (work too much), but i will make something work.
AAM definately makes a helical LSD that will fit, but i want to fit the True Trac for durability reasons.
Why don't you show me how it will work? I'm not the one doing the research here, there's more to it than ring gear diameter and spline count. Is that locker meant for a Ford that uses the AAM 800? GM accounts for 76% of AAM's business, so I'd be somewhat surprised if Ford is using a part as common as an axle in a heavily sold platform.

What Ford is using an AAM 800?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
PetExec said:
PS: like the quote, do you ride>?
That's me and my Bandit 1200S in the pic in my sig.

joshweaver said:
I used to ride till some dick decided he needed my bike more than me :'-(
That sucks, I had my 1980 KZ1000 stolen on me so I know first hand how bad that sucks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats too bad guys!! I have heard of way too many people that have had their bikes stolen, especially here in Myrtle Beach during bike week. Check out these bike locks: http://www.xenasecurity.com/home/current/lock/
They have built in alarms. I finally got to take the bike out today and got a little silly with the throttle, wagged the tail a bit. I guess i should ride a bit more frequently (even though its winter) OR stay out of the throttle after a month long break. lol

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
assuming that Ford does have an AAM 800 under one of their units, why wouldn't it work for ours? An AAM 800 is an AAM 800 right? I cant possibly imagine why the center section would be designed differently for a ford application vs chevy. The only possible hang up i see is on Spline count for the axles?

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
birdy111 said:
assuming that Ford does have an AAM 800 under one of their units, why wouldn't it work for ours? An AAM 800 is an AAM 800 right? I cant possibly imagine why the center section would be designed differently for a ford application vs chevy. The only possible hang up i see is on Spline count for the axles?
That's the point, he's not saying if he's found a Ford that has the same axle. He's just saying "Hey, this is for a Ford differential with an 8" ring gear." That really doesn't tell us anything. If it's for an AAM 800 that came under a Ford, and if it has the same spline count then yes it should work. All he's done so far though is show us a link to a Eaton unit meant for a Ford.

Chevy and Ford both made a 302c.i. V8, does that mean parts between the two are interchangeable? :wink:

·
Registered
167 Posts
The irony is i had freeeking sweet scorpion alarm with an ignition kill but it was all disconnected because I was tracing down some electrical gremlins....
first thing the cop asked me when he was filling out the report was "Did you have Lo-Jack?" i was like ****...

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
[quote="brakenit]That's the point, he's not saying if he's found a Ford that has the same axle. He's just saying "Hey, this is for a Ford differential with an 8" ring gear." That really doesn't tell us anything. If it's for an AAM 800 that came under a Ford, and if it has the same spline count then yes it should work. All he's done so far though is show us a link to a Eaton unit meant for a Ford.

Chevy and Ford both made a 302c.i. V8, does that mean parts between the two are interchangeable? :wink:[/quote]

ahh i see now.. i thought he specifically said it was an aam 800 from a ford product, and not just an 8" ring gear from a ford/dana/whatever diff.. reading > me

·
Registered
11,112 Posts
joshweaver said:
The irony is i had freeeking sweet scorpion alarm with an ignition kill but it was all disconnected because I was tracing down some electrical gremlins....
first thing the cop asked me when he was filling out the report was "Did you have Lo-Jack?" i was like /forum/images/smiles/censored.gif...
You guys really need to take this elsewhere.

And this LSD you found looks very familiar. Like someone here brought it up before and found out it wasn't going to work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a call in to a few places. Waiting for a reply, hopefully i can post the info here today. It almost seems like "brakenit" doesn't want to find an LSD for the trucks...

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
PetExec said:
I have a call in to a few places. Waiting for a reply, hopefully i can post the info here today. It almost seems like "brakenit" doesn't want to find an LSD for the trucks...
Quality post here. :roll: It's more like this:

Every 2-3 months a new guy comes on the forum exclaiming, "I found a LSD!"

And then we tell him - no, no you didn't. Because we've already seen whatever one he found and have to tell him that we don't have the same axle as truck XYZ.

Don't be rude. You won't get far here if you are.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
PetExec said:

And it seems like you're full of **** since you're not willing to say what Ford vehicle has an AAM 800 even though I've asked several times. I already said IF a Ford vehicle has an AAM 800 and IF that differential is meant for that vehicle then it should work, but you'd rather not share the information that would prove that apparently. :roll:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts