Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last month I drove up and down the auto toll road at Mt. Mansfield in Vermont. It's a four and a half mile dirt road with a few switchbacks that goes up about four thousand feet. Taking the advice I was given at the gate I had the shifter in L the whole time both up and down. I also had the 4WD switch set to 4H most of the way. About halfway down I changed it to 2H. Also around that time I started smelling fluid burning and saw a little bit of smoke coming from...somewhere. I wasn't riding the brakes. When I got back to the parking lot I sat and let it cool off for a while before shifting to D and taking off. I haven't used 4WD since. The truck's brand new. What did I do?

This reminds me of a time I drove a Hyundai Accent on I-70 through Colorado and going downhill I started to ride the brake because just coasting was making the transmission spin too fast and that thing started burning fluid....

·
Registered
17 Posts
What were your RPM and trans temperature ?

The only thing I can think of was that maybe you over revd your drivetrain by staying in L mode and not shifting appropriately ?
IF the truck is brand new, I am pretty sure there is nothing to worry about. You get a lot of different smells as the excess grease and lube and some minor spill of fluids during assembly burns off.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think the RPM or temp were high. I'm not sure what they were. I think I would have noticed if the truck reved up really high. Is there a number that would have been especially bad in the situation? I have now idea about the temp. Maybe a few degrees warm. What would be too hot?

·
Registered
575 Posts
I don't think the RPM or temp were high. I'm not sure what they were. I think I would have noticed if the truck reved up really high. Is there a number that would have been especially bad in the situation? I have now idea about the temp. Maybe a few degrees warm. What would be too hot?
over 220 F . I've hit the 200s driving through beach sand for extended periods and usually stop to cool off .

If you want, you can sample a few ml of trans fluid by slightly cracking open the overflow bolt on the trans pan . It shouldn't smell burnt or be dark brown.

As a general practice, I'd recommend changing out the rear diff fluid after the first few K miles but it's not as easy as it was on the earlier trucks as GM did away with the drain bolt

·
Registered
2022 Colorado Ext. cab LT 4x4 in grey, de badged, fender flairs, flaps, fake lake, undercover. pipes
244 Posts
I had a lot of stink coming of my truck when I first got it. It was all oils, grease and labels getting hot and burning ( fuming off ) the exhaust pipe and manifolds getting really warm for the first time. Now at 6k I never notice odd smell from the truck. Also if you were running in 4WD auto that will really heat up the transfer case. First gear in an auto trans generates a lot of transmission heat too.
OP did not indicate his mileage or how long he has had his truck.
Luck

Reactions: White016

·
Registered
10,730 Posts
I'll bet just "new burn off" smell. Some paint, oils, brakes, ect.
Just be very mindful of it for a while.
Next time don't do that to a brand new truck. :)

Reactions: rotaryenginepete

·
Registered
2017 AT 4x4 LWN CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
3,894 Posts
It is perfectly normal for brand new brakes to smoke and/or smell. It's part of the break-in process.

And even if you weren't "riding the brakes" just using them normally on an incline is going to require more friction than normal.

·
Registered
2020 Z71 Midnight Edition w/ Urban Armor Equipment
153 Posts
over 220 F . I've hit the 200s driving through beach sand for extended periods and usually stop to cool off .

If you want, you can sample a few ml of trans fluid by slightly cracking open the overflow bolt on the trans pan . It shouldn't smell burnt or be dark brown.

As a general practice, I'd recommend changing out the rear diff fluid after the first few K miles but it's not as easy as it was on the earlier trucks as GM did away with the drain bolt
Of course they did…that way people wouldn’t take the time to change the fluid because of the hassle of dropping The cover...Just like front End components and U Joints that we’re capable of being greased. Removing them was done because, according to “engineers” permanently greased and sealed components last longer than the ones you can service because people wouldn’t do it and cause failures. However, greaseable stuff can tolerateold greased better to a point and, honestly, who changes their own oil anymore? No reason a lubie can’t hit those zerks with the ole grease while the oil drains. Instead, they try to upswell you a new air cleaner to replace the one you put in last week…

·
Registered
2018 z71 3.6 long bed
955 Posts
I guess I've always used 4lo in situations where I was crawling along. If I were going 35, I'd be in 4hi. Just my opinion though.
Only time I use 4 is snow. And I've found 4lo to work better then 4hi.

I haven't been impressed with the trucks snow capabilities. So far... I hope to have that remedied before this winter. Otherwise. I be looking for a different truck.

·
Registered
86 Posts
either L on the shifter and 4L on the 4WD would be for short slow work. Long drives drives of any kind would be 2wd or 4H with 4H only being off road or wet/ice conditions.

You probably overheated the trans fluid. Take it in for a look. Dont tell them you drove miles in L.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Only time I use 4 is snow. And I've found 4lo to work better then 4hi.

I haven't been impressed with the trucks snow capabilities. So far... I hope to have that remedied before this winter. Otherwise. I be looking for a different truck.
How hasn't the truck been performing up to par in your opinion? My ZR2 did great last winter. We had lots of snow; it never missed a beat.

·
Registered
2020 Z71 Midnight Edition w/ Urban Armor Equipment
153 Posts
My Z71 hasn’t seen much white stuff here in the South. Did take it last winter to Vermont and did some deep snow runs with it. It didn’t do too bad TBH. About what I’d expect for a midsize. I did find that snow tends to pack in certain spots and make steering kinda wonky though. The Duratracs that come from GM aren’t exactly world renowned for heir ability to clear snow from their treads and on ice their horrible.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Lots of good possible answers so far.

By "L" I'm assuming you just had the transmission in manual mode and were using that to shift manually. As long as you weren't trying to lug the engine (which, technically, the truck won't let you do) or were revving it really high, it's not wrong to shift manually.

You weren't wrong to put it in 4hi 4-wheel drive mode either, so long as you weren't on dry pavement. Having it locked in on a dirt road is just fine.

If there was elevation gain or if you were using the trans to create back pressure to slow you down, the truck probably just got to the upper end of its operating temperature (trans) for the first time. If you were letting it shift a lot, that will also generate a lot of heat. It's best to pick a low speed and a single gear where you can modulate the throttle in mid-range RPM. When new, the trans has a break in period too and when it gets hot for the first time, it's going to smell like it.

Your dash will throw a warning light if you sustain high transmission temperatures and hit the upper limit. Same with engine coolant temperature, truck will shut itself off if it gets too hot.

If you have a diesel, having a regen is possible, and those stink for the first time. You can smell them later too, but first time, wow. Every new diesel I've owned has done this on the first couple regens.

·
Registered
2018 LT L.B. 3.6 Trifecta tune
169 Posts
The best traction in snow is a tire that holds snow just enough then let's go of the snow, snow on snow is best, I read this year's ago

1 - 20 of 43 Posts