Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
This seems like an ideal product actually, it doesn't mess with the programming, it just correct the speedometer. I think the pricing is the only thing that's kind of sucks, it's a little Sharp for what you're getting. I'd love to see a group buy get going on these.

Reactions: SolemnlySworn

·
Registered
84 Posts
Wow this a new product for hypertech. How much is it? It won't let me see on my phone...

·
Registered
84 Posts
I bought it today, spoke with a tech guy from hypertech. All is good to go. Finally!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I bought it today
How much was it? It says it will work on my 18 as well. Have you had the chance to try it out yet? It looks like this would be the perfect fit if Yukon ever offers gears as well.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Mine should be here monday

·
Registered
674 Posts
Sure thing. Ive had a lot of variables change on my truck, I know Ive lost some mpg and accuracy. Itll be good to see how much was actually lost
added:
-all terrain camper, 800#
-heavier E rated tires, 20# over stock per tire
-removed airdam
-Bilstien 5100's with the 2" lift adjustment

Averaged 26mpg at 6000ft elevation before, best was 33 mpg hwy at sea level.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Just a heads up if it hasnt yet been mentioned, the software download is PC only, no provision for mac based. Just found out today when I opened the box.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Otherwise looks like a simple install, not much physically to it. Cost is about the same as having a speedo shop do an adjustment....if you can find one. I couldnt even find one near my area by about 50 miles. Just gotta see if I can poach the PCs at work or borrow a friends laptop. Damn me for being a mac person who cant operate a PC. I can start your heart and keep you from dying, but cant work a PC for my life. Ridiculous.

Reactions: Troutbum1971

·
Registered
674 Posts
Unable to get access to a PC yet, gonna have to do the frist half of my huge drive from Reno to Puget sound without it, install it there then compare on the drive back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought snow tires (rims and tires) today and noticed the dealership reprogrammed my computer for the new wheels. I'm gonna need one of these for when I put the summer wheels back on. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on how this works.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
I just bought snow tires (rims and tires) today and noticed the dealership reprogrammed my computer for the new wheels. I'm gonna need one of these for when I put the summer wheels back on. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on how this works.
Welcome to C'Fans

Are you sure it wasn't for the tire pressure monitors, and not speedo?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did get tire pressure monitors and they did set them up. I still need to order the tool to set the summer wheels back up. My truck came with 20" wheels (snow are 17") and they told me the speedo would be okay because they were using higher profile snow tires and the overall size would match. I was pretty confused when I got home and measured the snow tires to be almost an inch less in diameter. I downloaded a speedometer app for my phone to compare against the dashboard. My phone agreed with the trucks speedo well above highway speed exactly. They never told me they reprogrammed for different size wheels, but it seems to make sense.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I did get tire pressure monitors and they did set them up. I still need to order the tool to set the summer wheels back up. My truck came with 20" wheels (snow are 17") and they told me the speedo would be okay because they were using higher profile snow tires and the overall size would match. I was pretty confused when I got home and measured the snow tires to be almost an inch less in diameter. I downloaded a speedometer app for my phone to compare against the dashboard. My phone agreed with the trucks speedo well above highway speed exactly. They never told me they reprogrammed for different size wheels, but it seems to make sense.
Yeah, you dont have to correct anything with a simple wheels size change, its the overall diameter change that needs correction. The TPMS setup can be sometimes annpoying depending on the make, stoked they just programmed them for you. What you were seeing is likely just the soft sag associated with the nature of how snow tires operate. You should plug the two sizes into a tire size calculator to see if and what the difference actually is. google tire size calculator.

·
Registered
674 Posts
So, my initial impressions dont exist. This thing is a bit of a pain in my ass. I wont be able to install it for a bit, it was ridiculous trying to program it.

First, Im not a computer or PC person for that matter, and this shows why. Every pop up window associated with it did not work well. One said it couldnt do anything because it couldnt connect, it would go through round after round of 10x attempts to connect and fail over and over. It was in fact succeeding, but throwing fail messages. Had to call tech support, who were helpful but couldnt make sense of some of the things I was seeing on my screen, but ended up not mattering. Verified that despite the fail messages, it was all set up.

Then the second negative aspect of it and its PC only setup, is the instructions. I couldnt get a feel for where this doohickey goes in the truck, or what the job was like, until I hit a PC and downloaded the document.

So finally after over a week of having it, its still not in and I only now have a game plan so I can allot the time and get an interior tool to do it right.

I hope the product ends up being good and feeling worth it, but such a PITA to even get started.

Why cant there just be online or on paper instructions? The PC only thing for setup I can get but, damn, cant even get to the instructions and tool list? I hope it ends up worth all the hassle.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Yeah, you dont have to correct anything with a simple wheels size change, its the overall diameter change that needs correction. The TPMS setup can be sometimes annpoying depending on the make, stoked they just programmed them for you. What you were seeing is likely just the soft sag associated with the nature of how snow tires operate. You should plug the two sizes into a tire size calculator to see if and what the difference actually is. google tire size calculator.
Last time I looked, there was no Federal standard on passenger vehicle speedo calibration, just 5% on commercial vehicles. Given the tire size spread that GM uses on all the twin models, they keep them in a fed acceptable 5% also, so they don't need to touch the calibration.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Okay, interior tool obtained, now its down to obtaining time....got a sweet climbing and hot spring trip this weekend, it definitely gets top trumps over staying home to tinker with the Colo. Perhaps next week if the weather keeps holding. Its a very non wintery winter so far.

Trip from Reno, NV --> Lopez Island, WA --> Reno, NV displayed a best of 19mpg traveling mostly I5. Camper is not too much weight, 800lbs, but lots of wind resistance. Cant wait to see it corrected.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.