Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All,

Just finished putting some ZR2 ROKBLOKS mudflaps on my 2016 Z71. They are compatible with some minor modifiactions. With my truck now 3" taller and in preparation for taller tires + wheels that stick out further I wanted more protection than the non-ZR2 ROKBLOKS would offer.

Obligatory not affiliated with ROKBLOKS, I bought all of this myself, none of it was provided to me, etc...

Parts Installed:
ZR2 ROKBLOKS mudflaps

Time required: 1hr

Tools used:
My trusty ATD Saber Under Hood light (always useful haha)
Lisle Red Plastic Creeper (Jeeper Creeper)
Torin Big Red Rolling Shop Seat w/ tool tray
Gearwrench Hex, Torx, Security sockets
1/4" drive Gearwrench sockets
MulWark 90 Degree screwdriver ratchet (for rear flap screw so I didn't have to remove tire)
LOCTITE 243 Threadlocker - Blue because threadlocker all the things.
DeWalt retractable utility knife
Drill & 11/64 drillbit.

For those unfamiliar:

non-ZR2 ROKBLOKS:
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Image credit ROKBLOCKS

ZR2 ROKBLOKS:
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Image credit ROKBLOCKS

Pretty straightforward install minus the modifications, so I'll only briefly cover those:

Drill 11/64" (or similar) holes in the two long brackets for the front approximately 1/4" from the hole nearest the bend.

Grey Font Rectangle Wood Material property

Cut the inboard part of the bend flap off to clear the pinchweld:
Hood Automotive design Font Material property Gas

Bend the long bracket you smoked a hole in into a slight Z shape

Water Liquid Hood Motor vehicle Fluid

Trim the rear mounting piece to tuck inside the rear fender. Cut off the part that says "INSIDE FENDER EDGE" until it fits per the directions. Trimming of a corner may also be required. Thank you @JBurg540 for the picture:

Sleeve Communication Device Gadget Bag Everyday carry

Install per directions:
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

I'm happy with how they work on the truck. Looks odd without bigger tires but hopefully keeps the mud and clay out of my doorhandles in the meantime.
Hood Sleeve Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Vehicle door

The material is more plastic than rubber and after cutting this stuff up, I believe it will last a long time. The flaps appear to be easily replaceable as well, should the occasion arise.

·
Registered
114 Posts
@ARCowboy - Thanks for this. I'm about to install the ZR2 Rokbloks on my Z71 as well due to getting some 0 (zero) offset wheels. Only difference from your truck is I have the OEM fender flares mounted. I'll add pictures for how my installation goes and any modifications to fit better.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Nice work AR Cowboy, Half tempted to Ditch my non zr2 rokblokz's for some zr2 ones

Reactions: ARCowboy

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@ARCowboy - Thanks for this. I'm about to install the ZR2 Rokbloks on my Z71 as well due to getting some 0 (zero) offset wheels. Only difference from your truck is I have the OEM fender flares mounted. I'll add pictures for how my installation goes and any modifications to fit better.
Awesome, can't wait. I'm really digging them. Haven't had as much stuff slung up the side

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Post pics. I tried to mount some on mine but didnt like how they fit on my truck with flares, but I didnt go as far as trimming them because I plan on selling them and didnt want to modify them in case someone bought them.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you end up installing these ?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Did you end up installing these ?
Delayed....life gets in the way some times. So far installed just the rear ZR2 RokBlokz mud flaps on my 2018 Z71 w/ OEM fender flares. The front will require a little more customization to fit / align. The rear flaps are fairly straightforward except that the backing plate needs to be trimmed in two places, an inch width along the outer edge (in red oval) and a notch (red circle). A utility knife w/ new razor blade works well.
Sleeve Communication Device Rectangle Gadget Bag

Now, with the backing plate trimmed and tucked in, the holes will line up properly.
Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Tints and shades

Fully installed. Note, you'll only want to tighten the four fasteners enough to hold the flap into position to allow for alignment to desired position.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Wood
Tire Vehicle Car Hood Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Delayed....life gets in the way some times. So far installed just the rear ZR2 RokBlokz mud flaps on my 2018 Z71 w/ OEM fender flares. The front will require a little more customization to fit / align. The rear flaps are fairly straightforward except that the backing plate needs to be trimmed in two places, an inch width along the outer edge (in red oval) and a notch (red circle). A utility knife w/ new razor blade works well.
View attachment 419115

Now, with the backing plate trimmed and tucked in, the holes will line up properly.
View attachment 419116

Fully installed. Note, you'll only want to tighten the four fasteners enough to hold the flap into position to allow for alignment to desired position.
View attachment 419117 View attachment 419118
Yeah life does have a way of doing that lol.

I too cut off the part in the red oval. Would you mind if I included that picture in the first post and credited you ? I did not end up cutting off the little wedge that you did.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I too cut off the part in the red oval. Would you mind if I included that picture in the first post and credited you ? I did not end up cutting off the little wedge that you did.
Please use it, glad to help with some how-to's for others! When I get the front mud flaps mounted, I'll post some better pictures for clarity of the finished rear.

·
Registered
114 Posts
@ARCowboy - Finally got the front RokBlokz mud flaps installed. Really like they way they look and very functional. A few inches of fresh snow yesterday gave me the opportunity to evaluate these mud flaps and they work very well. No snow / slush on the door sides or very minimal snow the side steps!

Things got derailed this past month when the UCA bushings has some slop and needed replacement (really was the OEM UCA bolts!), did some front fender trimming and a whole crap ton of accessory lighting wiring / switches installs...

The front flaps required a lot more custom cutting to get the fit right, nothing more than patience and a sharp razor knife. The non-ZR2 fender flares have a different profile causing the most cutting. These pictures show the trimming done to the flaps and backing plates (cut along the lines in red, holes drilled to match).
Automotive design Art Rectangle Tints and shades Wood

Rectangle Paint Wood Art Font

Gesture Wood Automotive exterior Font Tints and shades

Similar to you, I had to drill holes in the side metal brackets and bend the inner bracket to elongate it.
Rectangle Grey Font Tints and shades Monochrome photography

Font Rectangle Automotive exterior Bicycle part Metal

Here's the final fit before fender trimming:
Wood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Fender
Automotive tire Tread Road surface Grey Tire

Lastly, how they fit after fender trimming (Note the 1/4-20 button head bolt circled in yellow was installed for greater strength than the original fender liner screw):
Automotive tire Wood Bumper Vehicle door Gas

Wood Gas Bumper Fender Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@ARCowboy - Finally got the front RokBlokz mud flaps installed. Really like they way they look and very functional. A few inches of fresh snow yesterday gave me the opportunity to evaluate these mud flaps and they work very well. No snow / slush on the door sides or very minimal snow the side steps!

Things got derailed this past month when the UCA bushings has some slop and needed replacement (really was the OEM UCA bolts!), did some front fender trimming and a whole crap ton of accessory lighting wiring / switches installs...

The front flaps required a lot more custom cutting to get the fit right, nothing more than patience and a sharp razor knife. The non-ZR2 fender flares have a different profile causing the most cutting. These pictures show the trimming done to the flaps and backing plates (cut along the lines in red, holes drilled to match).
View attachment 420728
View attachment 420729
View attachment 420730

Similar to you, I had to drill holes in the side metal brackets and bend the inner bracket to elongate it.
View attachment 420731
View attachment 420732

Here's the final fit before fender trimming:
View attachment 420733 View attachment 420734

Lastly, how they fit after fender trimming (Note the 1/4-20 button head bolt circled in yellow was installed for greater strength than the original fender liner screw):
View attachment 420736
View attachment 420737
Looks good ! Thanks for the detailed write up. When I'm not on mobile I'll link this post in the first one for those trying to install with the fender flares. I think I didn't have to trim as much since I don't have the flares.

I'm also very happy with the reduction in mud and snow on the side of my truck. Especially happy with the reduction under the door handles and on gas filler door lol.

Reactions: JBurg540

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Do you / did you run a bead of silicone caulking where the flap meets the fender well trim to prevent water from sneaking through there and streaking down the side of the truck?

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you / did you run a bead of silicone caulking where the flap meets the fender well trim to prevent water from sneaking through there and streaking down the side of the truck?
I have not. Do you think it would make a significant difference ? The gap is very minimal. I am also concerned the silicone bead would not survive for very long without splitting/cracking.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
If any leakage occurs, it should be evident by streaks running from the cracks. I don't know if it would be a issue or not, that's why I asked. Silicone or RTV sealant should be flexible to resist cracking if leakage is a problem.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If any leakage occurs, it should be evident by streaks running from the cracks. I don't know if it would be a issue or not, that's why I asked. Silicone or RTV sealant should be flexible to resist cracking if leakage is a problem.
The streaking doesn't seem to come from any particular place that I can see lol.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Also for those interested in durability:
Water Plant Water resources Natural landscape Fluvial landforms of streams

Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Car

I rubbed my wheels down the length of the end of this obstacle, 100% scraping/dragging the rokbloks and there is no damage to them or bending of the mounting brackets (top picture taken once home after exploring).

Reactions: 93Duc and Tom S.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Now...someone has to get a set of non-ZR2 flaps and install on non-ZR2 truck w/ OEM fender flares...:D

I have a set of OEM flares ready to install this spring (warmer weather) & will need to swap mud flaps as I have WeatherTech f/ non-flare. :(

Reactions: ARCowboy

·
Registered
228 Posts
Now...someone has to get a set of non-ZR2 flaps and install on non-ZR2 truck w/ OEM fender flares...:D

I have a set of OEM flares ready to install this spring (warmer weather) & will need to swap mud flaps as I have WeatherTech f/ non-flare. :(
It’s possible, but you need to trim either the flair or drill a hole in it to mount the upper as the flare extends about 1/8” further Into the fender well than the actual fender lip.

The rears work since the flare is almost the same depth and the pinch mount works fine, in my experience.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
It’s possible, but you need to trim either the flair or drill a hole in it to mount the upper as the flare extends about 1/8” further Into the fender well than the actual fender lip.

The rears work since the flare is almost the same depth and the pinch mount works fine, in my experience.
Sweet...do you have some pics f/ reference? I'd like to get a set to mount w/ the OEM fender flares this spring.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts