Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, how did you guys remove the top bolt on the driver side shock absorber for diesel Canyon? There is not enough for me due to the DEF tank to use an impact wrench or 1/2" rachet with socket and can't seem to get enough leverage to use a wrench. Any suggestions without completely removing the DEF tank that's in the way?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Yep, remove spare, remove heat shield, remove 6 bolts for DEF brackets, lower tank (no need to remove completely).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was hoping to avoid that... Lol. How did you re-tighten the rear nuts (closer to back of the truck) on the tank? When I unscrew the nut and tried to tighten it again, the nut just spins with the bolt..

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Pretty much. Loosen the DEF tank enough to allow you to back out the top bolt enough to drop the shock down.

The DEF tank does not need to come all the way out, nor does the bolt. The just need to move enough to get the shock out :wink2:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Getting ready to replace rear shocks. 21mm socket? Just how hard is that DEF tank to deal with? Any tips or pics of the process?

·
Registered
2019 GMC Canyon All Terrain
2,023 Posts
Getting ready to replace rear shocks. 21mm socket? Just how hard is that DEF tank to deal with? Any tips or pics of the process?

13/16ths socket fits better on the shock bolts in my opinion. I tried the 21mm and it was a little loose. The 13/16ths fits nice and tight. I did rear shocks on my gas truck a couple weekends ago.

I didn't have to mess with the DEF tank tho...so I can't say how much of a pain it is.

·
Registered
285 Posts
This leads me to believe there’s wiggle room with the def tank mounting. I may loosen everything and shift the tank away from that bolt and retighten.

That's what I'm thinking too. I don't have either a 13/16ths or a 21mm socket. Guess I'll buy both and return the one that isn't needed! I'm going to be doing front as well, but will prob pay my local shop guy to do those, but I thought that surely the rear would not be too bad to deal with.

·
Registered
285 Posts
OK folks, checking out the rear shocks more. Doe the driver side, upper mounting point, have a bolt AND a nut, or only a bolt? See comparison from passenger side to driver side. Passenger side appears to clearly have a nut. Is that nut 'fixed' and just hidden on the driver side, meaning you only remove the bolt and the nut stays in place?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
It's a fixed nut on both sides. Even with dropping the DEF tank onto the spare it's a PITA but do-able. There's a notch in the DEF tank that you can wiggle the bolt into.
I saw that notch. Most folks seem to be talking about loosening the DEF tank. Looks like some vertically mounted bolts going into the bed assembly would do it. Am also checking on the FB group on this issue. Thanks for your feedback!

·
Registered
285 Posts
The DEF tank does not need to come all the way out, nor does the bolt. The just need to move enough to get the shock out :wink2:
Good advice. Thanks!

Reactions: lqdchkn

·
Registered
285 Posts
OK, pretty much done. That was a hassle! The DEF tank thing was quite aggravating. I removed the 4 rear bolts (13mm) and loosened the two nuts that are in the front. Was a little afraid to remove them because several people had reported having issues re tightening them on the 2017. Anyway, finally got the shock out. Way more trouble than it should have been! Passenger side took about 20 minutes. Driver side prob took me 1.5 hours. And if anyone decides to remove their spare tire heat shield to aid in lowering the DEF tank (I think you pretty much have to..) and you break your clips (like me) then just get the Doorman GM Bumper Push Rivets (961-364D). $3.49 for two @ AutoZone.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was hoping to avoid that... Lol. How did you re-tighten the rear nuts (closer to back of the truck) on the tank? When I unscrew the nut and tried to tighten it again, the nut just spins with the bolt..

I'm having the same issue with that bolt not tightening did you figure that out

1 - 19 of 19 Posts