Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

281 - 300 of 328 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've been eyeballing the Eibachs, but I'm not sold that I need a lift. I'm not planning on getting larger tires anytime soon, and without that, does a lift matter? Even with a suspension lift, you still have the rear differential at the same height relative to the ground unless you increase the tire size.

At what point do you need a differential drop for the front? Doesn't that also nullify any gains from a lift? Are you really just improving approach and departure angles and making space for larger tires?

I just don't want to do all of the work for no current benefit. I've banged the skid plate once or twice, and it seems like only tires would fix that. But then its only happened once or twice.

I think ultimately right now I want better suspension response and a smoother ride off road on the fire roads and desert trails in SoCal. Will the Eibach get me that, or is there another recommended kit?

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
I've been eyeballing the Eibachs, but I'm not sold that I need a lift. I'm not planning on getting larger tires anytime soon, and without that, does a lift matter? Even with a suspension lift, you still have the rear differential at the same height relative to the ground unless you increase the tire size.

At what point do you need a differential drop for the front? Doesn't that also nullify any gains from a lift? Are you really just improving approach and departure angles and making space for larger tires?

I just don't want to do all of the work for no current benefit. I've banged the skid plate once or twice, and it seems like only tires would fix that. But then its only happened once or twice.

I think ultimately right now I want better suspension response and a smoother ride off road on the fire roads and desert trails in SoCal. Will the Eibach get me that, or is there another recommended kit?
You are correct, most lifts stiffens the suspension but lets you have taller tires for clearance,
Fox shocks are an option, maybe a Rancho 5500 series shock

·
Registered
5 Posts
Taking a 5,000lb trailer off-road, like with a pindel hitch up moab? another words, how much off-road?
How do you plan on raising the front while still using the King Coil Overs? Spindle lift?
will the rear Kings be stock travel or one with longer travel? or use shock extensions?
Several other companies make less expensive UCA's that are probably just as good
Thanks for the reply. By off road I just mean some easier dirt/sand roads to get the trailer to a staging area with my dirt bike and maybe an ATV. I would also like to have some fun in the dirt with the truck by itself and the kings.

To get lift in the front I believe the coilovers provide 0-2.5” of lift in front and 0-1.5” of travel in the back.

·
Registered
140 Posts

I have the eibachs with their springs. The ride is pretty stiff on pavement. I don't offroad. They do handle well with corners. I would say get different struts/springs but they will probably cost more. Not saying I don't like the eibach set because I only paid 460 for front back and springs, but there are probably better options for what you want

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thanks I think I decided against the Eibach because of the stiffer ride. I'd only be getting a lift to go off road, but if everything's harsher, then I don't see the point.

The Ranchos look interesting, but I don't know if they sacrifice a lot of on-road stability. Then again I don't want to spend multiple thousands on a Fox or King setup.

Really just trying to smooth out the gravel and rutted dirt fire roads.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
some one just posted that they installed the Bilstein 4600's and really like how smooth the truck rides now. Most people install the 5100's for off roading or bigger tires...

·
Registered
140 Posts
The eibachs might be fine using your stock springs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My build is done, see pic for specs. Minimal trimming. View attachment 390271
It looks really good.

I’ve got the same suspension kit. Did it take all the rake out of the truck? I also have the 1” blocks for the rear. If I used them would it put the rake back in it if I set the front to 2.7” or would it be level with 1” blocks in the back and front set at 2.7”?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks. My front shocks are the Eibach Pro Truck Sport Shock part #E60-23-007-02-10, which have a maximum setting of 2 inches. If you have a setting of 2.7" I believe you have the Pro Truck Lift part #E80-23-007-01-22. I have mine set at the 2" groove and it actually inverted the rake slightly. Normally I don't like the look the front being higher than the rear, so I actually bought the rear ZR2 lift blocks with the intent of installing them after I did the shocks. However, the way the truck bed is sloped, and the window trim lines/door handles are sloped, the truck doesn't look inverted. So I left it without the leaf spring blocks because I think it looks right the way it is.
If you are setting the front at 2.7", I think you may end up wanting to install the rear 1" lift blocks. You'll know once you lift the front. Good luck!

·
Registered
139 Posts
It probably makes sense to spend the extra $5K on ZR2. It's already got the amazing shocks and the two inch lift. I'm not sure there's an aftermarket suspension that compares, so it's really moot on the Z71. And you have to worry about differential drops and CV angles and sway bar end links. And the ZR2 comes with the locking front diff and a real locking rear.

I'm not sure its worth spending $$$$$ on my Z71. But also I think the ZR2 is ugly and prefer the Z71 seats, and I already own a Z71 and do not want to buy a new truck.

·
Registered
2018 GMC Canyon All Terrain LB
44 Posts
I have the Eibach Pro-Truck lift and I am going to set it at the second notch (2.7). I also have the 1" diff drop. I wasn't planning on doing any lift block in the back just yet. The plan is to do some light overloading trips up along 395 in the Sierra Nevada as well as other locations. It seems to me the best bang for the buck is the middle tire size (#2). I wouldn't mind going to the largest of the three but what I was really wondering is what is the extent (full details) of the required trimming for the two options below? BTW this is a 2018 GMC All Terrain long box stock wheels. Also why do I not see too many people running Falken Ruibtrek tires? Thanks.

#1 - 265/70/17 ~ 31.6 x 10.4 r17
#2 - 255/75/17 ~ 32.1 x 10.0 r17 (may rub at full steering lock or full tuck off-road with less than 2" lift)
#3 - 275/70/17 ~ 32.2 x 10.8 r17 (fender trimming required)

·
Registered
5,037 Posts

Falken ATW3 below

I think cause a year or 2 ago some one become a sponsor and they touted tthe AT3W's

when I first got on this site, the Toyo open Country's were the flavor of the month

·
Registered
288 Posts
America's Tire has $80 instant discount on Falkens today/tomorrow for those interested!

·
Registered
2018 GMC Canyon All Terrain LB
44 Posts
OK I got the Eibach pro-truck lift in and the 1" diff drop. Front springs were difficult to get in but it is done. Diff drop was a little hard but complete. Alignment will be tomorrow...unless.The spring/strut is set to 2.7" (2nd notch). I want to confirm the following per the front page: "Will require additional aftermarket parts to compensate for the lift (sway bar end links, diff drop, upper A-arms etc.) if you go above 2". Above 2.7" aftermarket upper control arms are recommended or else accelerated ball joint wear will occur."

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71
114 Posts
I got a killer deal on some Method Wheels in 17x8.5 et0 for my 2017 Z71 but I'm not very knowledgeable on wheel and tire geometry especially on trucks. I'm going to be on stock suspension till it wears out at which point I'd consider a suspension lift in the 2-3in range but for now my concern is if the 0 offset and stock height will give me issues if I threw the stock tires on them since they still have plenty of meat on them (265/55 r17 if I'm not mistaken). The posts on this thread seem to indicate that size is fine but for stock offset. I've gone through this thread a couple times but sorry if I've missed a post on a similar setup with the only change being 0 offset.

Another question I have is regarding tire options after I wear out the stock rubber. I'm leaning towards KO2s and was wondering what I could run on 0 offset again with stock Z71 suspension. Would 255/75s fit or how about 265/75? If neither, what size could I go up to with minimal trimming? I'm fine with the waffle mod (probably going to make that a project I tackle this summer even though I don't need it yet) and I feel ok with trimming the pinch weld at 45* but don't want to do any more than that if I can get away without it.

I appreciate any tips you guys can give me. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2016 Colorado WT, crew cab long bed
124 Posts
Got a deal on a set of American eagle wheels. 17x8.5 +6 offset. I’ve been looking and it seems like not a lot of guys are running that offset? 00 seems to be most popular. Or maybe I haven’t been looking hard enough. I’m new to the site and I am wondering if anybody has ran this wheel dimension with a 2” front level? I wanna go with wildpeak 265/70-17.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
Got a deal on a set of American eagle wheels. 17x8.5 +6 offset. I’ve been looking and it seems like not a lot of guys are running that offset? 00 seems to be most popular. Or maybe I haven’t been looking hard enough. I’m new to the site and I am wondering if anybody has ran this wheel dimension with a 2” front level? I wanna go with wildpeak 265/70-17.
the majority of aftermarket wheels are 0-offset so that is what people instll, DV8's are -15 which provide less headaches as to rubbing,
You may have to bend the pinch weld , and probably have to cut the waffle a little on the front of the front wheel wells

oh, welcome to the forum. go to the introductory section and introduce your self and post some pictures of your truck and list the mods you have and are going to do...

·
Registered
1 Posts
So much great info on this thread and on the site. Been lurking for a few years but used this thread to level my 2016 Z71 Duramax. I did the AutoSprings 2.5” level with 1” block in the leaf springs and diff drop last Fall. I also did Street Rays sway bar relocation kit and Prothane extended end links at the same time. Today I had Falken Wildpeak A/T3W 265/70R17 tires installed today. Pics below, which aren’t totally leveled up, top to bottom are stock, level, and level with tires. There is a slight rub on frame at back of wheel well at full lock, but not too bad.

Reactions: yfz460
281 - 300 of 328 Posts