Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

101 - 120 of 157 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Macronyx said:
Ok, I decided I am going to go to relay 2 of the bulbs (I think that is what you guys mean), over changing everything to LED as a cheaper alternative. I think my plan is to run the inner DRL bulbs from 2 relays and run the outer bulb/signal from the BCM (unless I misunderstand the wiring of the existing harness). I think one of you said the bulbs draw around 2 amps a piece when fully lit. Can anyone confirm this? I want to fuse my battery wire.

If there is another (better) way of doing that, let me know!

Thanks!

You have it a little confused there.

There's one relay per side. The one relay will power the two bulbs which will be activated by the STS-2 Sequential Turn Signal module. The relay will install inline from the factory harness to the STS-2 module.

In the image above, the relay will install at the "Existing Brake / Turn Wiring" location.

The relay diagram above will be wired as follows

86 = Existing Brake / Turn Wiring
85 = Ground
87 = 12v+ wire from battery (you can run a 15 amp fuse inline)
30 = STS-2 Red wire and Inside Lamp + wire

I hope that clears it up for you. :D

·
Registered
298 Posts
Yeah, I am a bit confused. I understand those schematics fully, but I was wondering aren't there 3 wires coming from the BCM (1 for the drl & parking filament, 1 for the turn filament, and 1 ground)? I would just relay the wire for the drl/parking filament for BOTH bulbs, per side, correct?

Oh, one more thing. Why do I need the new bulb holders from autozone? I noticed there is 3 wires instead of 2. Is the third wire for a the turn signal?

·
Premium Member
16,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Macronyx said:
Yeah, I am a bit confused. I understand those schematics fully, but I was wondering aren't there 3 wires coming from the BCM (1 for the drl & parking filament, 1 for the turn filament, and 1 ground)? I would just relay the wire for the drl/parking filament for BOTH bulbs, per side, correct?

Oh, one more thing. Why do I need the new bulb holders from autozone? I noticed there is 3 wires instead of 2. Is the third wire for a the turn signal?

Correct, there are 3 wires brom the BCM to the outside turn signal lamp. In order to do sequential style turn signals, you must convert to dual lamps. That's why you need the 3 wire 3157 socket. The 2 bulbs and the STS-2 module then become one circuit. That is why standard incandescent bulbs will over-draw the BCM, hence the need to run the relay to power the sequential turn signal circuit on each side.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Perfect! Thank you for explaining that to me!

One more question. Since I am going to be using incandescent bulbs, do I need to purchase new ones, or can the stock DRL ones also do turn signals?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Cool, my bulbs are brand new that is why I was wondering. Thanks for the help DBNissan!

Now I have to decide between doing this or installing fogs in my truck! Of course I don't have enough cash to do both.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I say you do the seq. turn signals first, you'll LOVE it. Trust me.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Ok, I went ahead and ordered the module and other parts.

One thing I am pondering while I am waiting for them to come in. I was wondering where the best place to put a relay would be? On the turn signal filament (of course it would only be on 1 of the 2 bulbs on either side) or the parking light filament? Wouldn't the parking light filament draw more wattage.

I am just trying to be logical and draw the least amount of current from the BCM as possible.

Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
78 Posts
just did the mod with the sequential and wow it looks amazing in person! cant wait for tommorrow night for everyone's reactions to it another great how-to from a great forum!!!! keep it up guys

·
Registered
78 Posts
so...... quick question..... anybody have a problem with intermittent in-op flasher module? sometimes my left lamps are sequential and sometimes they flash together. i checked the wiring and my bulbs and what not but it is still doing it. anybody got any ideas? thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
16,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
KingSting initially had some bad modules that wouldn't work. He sent them back and got them replace right away.

Are you running LEDs? Due to the fast flash capabilities of LED bulbs, they have a tendency to flash together until the module learns the pattern. Mine did it for a while but now it works fine.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i havent upgraded to led's yet i got the module and couldnt wait to get it in and see it in person so i wired it up. it worked fine the first two days but last night i was out and my friend told me they werent working right. maybe ill give them a call tomorrow if they are still messed up tonight. thanks though i still love the way they look even if its only half the truck (haha)

·
Registered
78 Posts
i thought the relays were needed if your lights flickered? mine light fine they just sometimes go together when i signal and sometimes they go sequential, do you think i still need the relays? If i just go straight to led's could i just put the load resistors on and then ill be fine you think? i must have gotten myself confused with all of the posts, sorry for the confusion folks, thanks for the help though

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
The only way to really notice your lights flicker is by looking at them from other cars reflections. Otherwise for you, they will always look normal. Usually always happens when you're driving only (i think).

·
Premium Member
16,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
The BCM in these trucks may react differently or what some call a flicker can be an erratic blink to others.

If you're gonna run the regular bulbs for a while, I suggest running the relays.

·
Registered
185 Posts
So is there anything else I need to know about the relays other then they are a SPDT.
thanks, stephen

·
Registered
185 Posts
one more quick question, did you guys have to modify the socket/housing in order to fit the new 85881 (3157) socket?

101 - 120 of 157 Posts
About this Discussion
156 Replies
47 Participants
pissonford07
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing