Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since the days of pulling a DRL fuse are gone, I had to get a little inventive. Ordered a new headlight switch from GMPartsDirect for $26 to play with. The goal was to be able to manipulate the switch so it could stay in the "off" position rather than always springing back to "auto" so I could leave it "off" and not have to turn it every time I got in the truck.

(Don't judge the dirtiness of my truck. I work in a rock quarry lol)

Removing the factory switch is a pain. First you'll need a 7mm socket to take two screws out of the lower dash trim.

Then pull on the top corner of the trim piece closest to the steering wheel. It's held in by a few trim tabs. You'll only be able to pull it 1/2 way out due to the hood latch release still being attached to the bottom. You'll see a tab on each side holding the switch in place. Pull the tabs outward and disconnect the wiring plug.

Taking the switch apart is pretty self explanatory. Four tabs hold it together. Use a small flathead to push tabs and pull the housing apart. Had to pry a good bit but nothing broke.

Once apart, you'll see the spring in the upper corner. You'll also see this flat little metal piece. Take note of where the metal piece sits. Very crucial that it goes back in the same way. Spring is circled red. Metal piece is circled green.

Remove spring. It will not be used again. Make sure flat metal piece goes back into its little slots that it came out of. Your fingers will get covered in grease during this. They went a little crazy when applying the electrical grease to everything. Now put it all back together. Make sure the electrical pins for the plug fit back through. It is a hair tricky making the knob go back through the hole. That flat metal piece kinda catches the side of the knob. Just wiggle everything until it all slides back together. Put the back plate on and you're all set.

Once this modification is done, your truck will always get an off signal if the switch is left off. The only downside is your headlights won't turn on when you unlock the truck, if that's how you have your unlock sequence set. That's a perfectly fine trade off for me. Tired of turning the headlight dial off every time I get in my truck.

Thanks for reading and post any helpful comments (except "why would you do this?")

Sent from my SM-G920V

·
Registered
658 Posts
Thanks for taking the lead on this and for the helpful replies in the other thread. I'll be doing this as soon as I'm back on my feet after knee surgery....:crying:

Reactions: bigboi98

·
Registered
893 Posts
Wonder if this will work on Cdn models? (we do not have the option of turning off our DRL lights)
I don't mind the idea of DRL at all, I just rather install a set of aux LED running as my DRL vs the headlamps.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Now if someone could only post the corollary piece titled "How to make sure FOG lights come on any time HEADLIGHTS are on."

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
You know what was said to the German Commander at the Battle of the Bulge.........>:) Good job and write up though.

Reactions: Toughsox

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Reactions: Toughsox

·
Registered
692 Posts
Will the headlight still come on at night or do you manually have to turn them on?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Forgive the dumb question, but what is the appeal of not running DRLs?

Reactions: Tucson Bill

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Will the headlight still come on at night or do you manually have to turn them on?
Manually. Pretty much just like the newer Fords. You can leave it on auto if you want and everything will work like normal. Or leave it off and just have to turn them on when needed. If I go somewhere at night, I can put it on "auto" and not have to touch it. If I go somewhere during the day I can put it on "off" and not have to touch it until that night.
Forgive the dumb question, but what is the appeal of not running DRLs?
Not a fan of the look of halogen DRLs. LED looks great. But not halogen. Looks dinky to me. This is purely cosmetic.

Sent from my SM-G920V

·
Registered
658 Posts
Manually. Pretty much just like the newer Fords. You can leave it on auto if you want and everything will work like normal. Or leave it off and just have to turn them on when needed. If I go somewhere at night, I can put it on "auto" and not have to touch it. If I go somewhere during the day I can put it on "off" and not have to touch it until that night.

Not a fan of the look of halogen DRLs. LED looks great. But not halogen. Looks dinky to me. This is purely cosmetic.

Sent from my SM-G920V
This is how it should have been designed to begin with...

·
Registered
337 Posts
Thanks for your post and detailed instructions bigboi98. I have wanted to get the DRL's to stay off ever since I bought my truck. I took care of mine this morning. Now if I could get the Radio to stay off when I crank the truck I would be ecstatic. :wink2:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Also useful for those who have HID conversions and don't want to put the extra cycles / hours on the ballasts / bulbs.

Nice write up! I had heard about this being done before but it's a creative way to address the issue.

Reactions: Drag Limited

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for your post and detailed instructions bigboi98. I have wanted to get the DRL's to stay off ever since I bought my truck. I took care of mine this morning. Now if I could get the Radio to stay off when I crank the truck I would be ecstatic. :wink2:
No problem. Glad it worked out for ya.
Also useful for those who have HID conversions and don't want to put the extra cycles / hours on the ballasts / bulbs.

Nice write up! I had heard about this being done before but it's a creative way to address the issue.
Another very valid point is HID cycling.

And if someone is running a bulb like Sylvania Ultra White which only had a 100hr life. No need in burning them up when you don't need to.

Sent from my SM-G920V

·
Premium Member
5,044 Posts
Freakin sweet. So glad this is so easy. Thank you for being the Guinea pig on this.

One question before I do this. Once done and the switch is staying in the off position. When you turn the truck off with the lights off, then start it the next time; do you get that alert at start up that you normally do when switching from auto to the off position?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Freakin sweet. So glad this is so easy. Thank you for being the Guinea pig on this.

One question before I do this. Once done and the switch is staying in the off position. When you turn the truck off with the lights off, then start it the next time; do you get that alert at start up that you normally do when switching from auto to the off position?
Nope no alert. One of the first things I checked.

Sent from my SM-G920V

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
This is how it should have been designed to begin with...
Nah, it's for us old farts that can't remember to turn our lights on in the rain so we don't get a ticket.
:wink2:

·
Registered
658 Posts
Nah, it's for us old farts that can't remember to turn our lights on in the rain so we don't get a ticket.
:wink2:
Actually, if you leave it in the Auto position, the headlights will come on when the wipers are actuated. So no one will know you are elderly. I live in a retirement community myself and headlights aren't the safety issue, it's the folks who shouldn't be driving anymore that are....:laugh:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just a note, if the truck is started with the switch in the off position, in order to to get the auto function to activate you must turn the dial to the next notch after auto then back to auto. The system thinks you've physically turned the lights off so you must turn an actual light on to activate the auto system. It seems complicated but I suck at explaining things.

So when the truck is started with the switch off, just remember that you have to physically turn the lights on before returning the dial to "auto" if it rains, driving through a tunnel, etc.

Still a trade off I'll take any day over turning the knob every time.

Sent from my SM-G920V

1 - 20 of 85 Posts